Best ways to increase production?

Onionsoilder

Reaver
One major difference I've noticed between IV and V is that production is much, much rarer in V. It takes me 40-50 turns to produce something in my citites(20-30 in the larger ones). That is how long it should take to produce a wonder, not a swordsman or a coliseum! I often find myself going down the liberty track just for the +1 production in all cities since most cities only have 4-8 production.

An obvious question, are you reallocating your workers to work your production tiles?

Perhaps I'm justa bad Civ'er, but I've felt the same way. things seem to be very slow producing. I feel as though I'm behind all the time. (even when I'm not)

There really are fewer hammers. I was noticing that myself.

But the turns don't take up as many years in the early game, so I think that kind of balances out.

As far as the units, I've found myself upgrading a LOT more than in IV, so as to not have to use my shields that way.

This is pretty much the one thing in Civ V that I am not liking.

In Civ4, you produced plenty of hammers, AND the production bonuses you got were higher %ages, AND the buildings were cheaper.

Stuff takes an eternity to build. Literally, forever. Especially once you get into the Renaissance era.

How are people handling this? Seriously, how do you build much of anything? Most buildings seem way overcosted to me for their benefit. I'm trying to specialize cities but the city barely has production enough to build the buildings for its specialty.

I'm pondering mining everything and getting food through maritime city state alliances.

An obvious question, are you reallocating your workers to work your production tiles?
Yah. The best production I've gotten in a city was 13; 8 hammers two two mines, 3 hammers from the city itself(boosted through that one Liberty policy), and 2 hammers from a horses. 13 hammers is a drop in the bucket when you're building 160 hammer units.

I think for my taste that the governor puts too much emphasis on food by default. I lock some tiles with high production/gold all the time. Governor keeps spamming food even if happiness is close to capped.

I think this is what is going to drive a lot of people away from Civ 5. In Civ 4 you got results fast, but if it was too fast for your liking you could always slow down the game speed. In Civ 5 however, it takes a while to see the results once you set things in motion, even in normal speed.

It's going to take a while to get used to, especially for the short attention spanned folk.

1. Settle your city near hills / forest, mine / lumbermill those tiles;
2. Build Workshop, Forge, Windmill etc;
3. If the location provides no production at all, just go all food, then switch to gold when the city grows a bit and use gold to buy stuff.

You really only need 2 production cities... one for wonders, the other for units.

It's going to be a big adjustment for a lot of people, including myself. I was playing at Immortal at the end, but I hadn't really shaken the habit of building way too much in my cities. They've really made it so you can't building spam your cities anymore. A combination of way, way more buildings (or so it seems) and a serious lack of hammers. You really have to choose the optimal way to use them. As others have said--upgrading is a much better deal, even if it's not cost efficient. The rarity of your hammers makes it worth it.

On a separate note, I completely agree with the above poster. I feel like like I'm playing marathon/epic at standard speed. I'm spending way too much time just pressing enter and going through the motions while waiting for things to finish researching/building. The pacing seems a bit off.

Civ 5 emphasizes specialization way more. Do not build structures unless you absolutely have to. Also you don't need as many units as civ4 and they used to be major hammer sponges.

Don't be afraid to use gold to buy critical but cheap buildings and upgrade all units.

Oh, and dont forget to use Focus on Production when you really want something built.

I think this is just a mindset issue. In the previous civ games you just built pretty much every building in every city, it was only a question of what order to build them in. In this civ you're not supposed to build every building in every city. Just build what you really need.

Also, in a way gold is the same thing as hammers. You can and should be buying a lot of stuff instead of building it.

Don't neglect gold either. Especially depending on the buildings... So far I've seen that once your economy is going, on average I've been able to buy about 1 building per every two you build naturally in a city.

What was the major drive to move Civ production in this direction? I thought people liked building things more frequently across their empire, giving them something to do between pressing the spacebar (enter now).

Is there many turns where you just end up moving units around and maybe a bit of diplomacy? I dunno about that....

What was the major drive to move Civ production in this direction? I thought people liked building things more frequently across their empire, giving them something to do between pressing the spacebar (enter now).

Is there many turns where you just end up moving units around and maybe a bit of diplomacy? I dunno about that....

Well, it wasn't a major drive in so far as there was a problem with the old way of doing it. But Civ V was supposed to be a significant step away from the previous way of doing things, and with 1upt there needed to be something to restrict unit building besides the resource constriction otherwise the map could just become a sea of units...

I'm not quite sure why buildings have been made more expensive, but I still haven't managed to finish downloading the demo; so, I'll check it out later.

I noticed this as well. With one unit per tile it's not necessary to spam out as many units as before, so the longer build times for units don't bother me. The longer times for buildings have forced me to think hard about specializing cities rather than trying to have every building.

Really, though, I think the solution is supposed to be buying with gold, since you can do that from the start and gold is accumulated separate from science. I haven't managed to rush-buy a single thing yet, though, since the few times I've remembered I could do it and tried, I apparently haven't had enough gold - the purchase button did nothing, and I couldn't see a gold cost shown anywhere.

Hmm, hucubus, you should see the gold cost even if you can't afford to buy. It should be grayed out but still visible, in the list of buildable items to the left. At least, that's what I remember -- I'll double check next time I play.

I rather like the slower pace of building, but then I sometimes played on slower levels in Civ 4. I like that units and buildings stay relevant for a long time in this game. I might try a "quick" game sometime down the pike, but for now I'm happy.

Top Bottom