Black Screen - Trading / Diplomacy Screen - Civ 5 - nVidia - Fully Patched

I had a save that I was using to test with (460 GTX here)...running the latest drivers and Leader Screen set to 'Low' is a work-around until it truly gets fix. In my testing, anything after 266.58 was an issue (set to High or Medium). But...I was always running on Medium with the 266.58 driver, so maybe that was its work-around too.

I have the same problem!! D:
i5 and GTX 570.
And just as Russia was offering me everything they had for peace -_-

I joined just so I could add to this issue. I have 2 machines that I bounce between to play Civ 5 (one for big screen gaming, one for multiplayer). The big screen machine is the one that keeps experiencing the black screen issue and its running a GTS 450. The other machine is running an older, but more powerful GTX 260. I will give the low res fix a try, but I wanted to point out that when I copy the save game over to the multiplayer machine with the GTX 260, I don't experience the black screen issue. Both machines are running the same driver version, so there might be something in the drivers that applies to only the newer cards. Going to try the newest beta drivers and see if its any better as well (v290.53).

the best workaround would be setting anti aliasing at off
then the leaderscreens shouldn't crash anymore

the problem as far as i know lays with the nvidea drivers because an older driver didn't had that issue

windows 7 64bit ultimate 6g ram
nvidea 470 gtx 1280 mb ram

Which drive is steam located on?

It is on my C: drive just in the default location it installs.

I am able to stop the problem by moving the leader screen detail to low, but I feel like I shouldn't need to do that. This seems to work even with the anti-aliasing set to 8x.

It is on my C: drive just in the default location it installs.

I am able to stop the problem by moving the leader screen detail to low, but I feel like I shouldn't need to do that. This seems to work even with the anti-aliasing set to 8x.

How full is your drive?

I am just trying to rule out any other thing besides the Geforce 560. I am afraid there may be no fix until Nvidea figures out what has caused that chipset to crash CivV.

Is it possible for you to try a different video card?

I have a GTX 560 (not the TI-version) with the 301.24 beta drivers and the game goes black sometimes when I try to open the diplomacy screen (I have "leader screen" settings on High)
I used to have a Radeon 5780 and have ~200 hours played with that card without a single black-screen.

The reason the game crashes is because of some fast dx11 texture loading procedure used only by Civ5 which doesn't always jive with the drivers. Installing older drivers and/or updating your VGA BIOS will NOT work from what I can tell.

I have a savegame which I can load, talk to a specific leader and the game will go black every single time.
- So I tried to play the game in dx9 mode and no crash.
- I put leader screen quality to minimum (which just displays a 2D image of the leader) and no crash.
- Leader quality Low (no AA, no shadows, low res pop-in background textures) no crash.
- Also I tried once with the setting on medium and no crash.

The rest of you who get black-screen on leader screens should try to set the quality to medium and report if you get crashes.
edit: Nevermind I just got a black-screen on medium settings :undecide:

Right now, I have leader screen to low and I have 8x anti-aliasing with no black screens.

One problem I do see, which I had with my old video card as well is sometimes when I move units, their icon is left on the screen where they used to be. Occasionally, objects on the map will be locked on my screen at times so when I move my mouse, cities, units, and other objects move with it. This usually goes away much faster though.

Hello all... throw my name in the pot as a victim of this issue. But I might have some additional info to help identify the problem... or maybe it will just confuse matters more.

- nVidia GTX 580
- 296.10 Drivers
- Windows 7 Ultimate x64

I've had the above configuration for roughly a year (minus the driver version - upgraded that about two months ago) and have NEVER, EVER had this problem.

However, yesterday I got a new monitor - the beautiful HP ZR30w - 30", 2560x1600 resolution, 16:10 aspect ratio. My previous monitor was a 27", 1920x1080 resolution, 16:9.

This is the single change to my system configuration in a long time (minus updating the driver two months back), and almost immediately I've had this problem. For me, it has been intermittent. Sometimes 15 minutes into playing, other times hours. But it's happened four times today alone, and previously I've NEVER had it happen. I'll drop the leader quality settings and see what happens, but to me that is not a "fix".

I wonder if the aspect ratio change has something to do with it, or maybe the sheer number of pixels (increased resolution = more video card memory usage)? What monitor setups/resolutions are most of you running?

Update: Just played for about an hour without a single crash. The only thing I changed was reducing the AA from 4x down to 2x. Don't think I have a large enough sample time to prove this worked, but we'll see. When I was running @ 1920x1080, I used 8x AA w/o issue. But, @ 2560x1600, there is much, much more processing needed for AA, so maybe I'm on to something. Also, I have left the leader detail set to "High".

Hello all... throw my name in the pot as a victim of this issue. But I might have some additional info to help identify the problem... or maybe it will just confuse matters more.

- nVidia GTX 580
- 296.10 Drivers
- Windows 7 Ultimate x64

I've had the above configuration for roughly a year (minus the driver version - upgraded that about two months ago) and have NEVER, EVER had this problem.

However, yesterday I got a new monitor - the beautiful HP ZR30w - 30", 2560x1600 resolution, 16:10 aspect ratio. My previous monitor was a 27", 1920x1080 resolution, 16:9.

This is the single change to my system configuration in a long time (minus updating the driver two months back), and almost immediately I've had this problem. For me, it has been intermittent. Sometimes 15 minutes into playing, other times hours. But it's happened four times today alone, and previously I've NEVER had it happen. I'll drop the leader quality settings and see what happens, but to me that is not a "fix".

I wonder if the aspect ratio change has something to do with it, or maybe the sheer number of pixels (increased resolution = more video card memory usage)? What monitor setups/resolutions are most of you running?

Update: Just played for about an hour without a single crash. The only thing I changed was reducing the AA from 4x down to 2x. Don't think I have a large enough sample time to prove this worked, but we'll see. When I was running @ 1920x1080, I used 8x AA w/o issue. But, @ 2560x1600, there is much, much more processing needed for AA, so maybe I'm on to something. Also, I have left the leader detail set to "High".

In another thread there was a person who "re-installed" the DirectX9 files. This may need to be done to help re-register DX with your new monitor. Also try re-load or re-freshing the video drivers. There is probably a registry entry that needs tweaked.

I have a laptop with HDMI out and hooking it up to different monitors can do strange things with the video drivers, even messing with the laptops own display sometimes.

Update #2:

Well, I can report that I have played many hours over the course of the weekend and have not had a single leader crash. The ONLY thing I changed from my initial report to this thread was dropping my AA from 4x to 2x. Again, I used to run 1920x1080 w/8x AA w/o a single issue for months. Then I upgraded to a 2560x1600 resolution monitor, ran the game @ 2560x1600 w/4x AA and was having leader crashes every game. I then dropped down to 2x AA (left leader detail on "High") and am 100% stable again.

I'm thinking it has something to do with memory limits (or maybe a small video memory leak?) as my computer hardware didn't change but I started pushing many more pixels (97.5% more) and thus much more AA processing among everything else.

Anyway, I am not here to claim I know what the problem is, but here is another thing to try if you're having this problem as it worked for me.

Top Bottom