[BTS] Fictionalization IV

I've got an idea for another leader. How about Achmed the Dead Terrorist for Arabia?

"Silence! I kill you!"

can you please please please put in maximillien robespierre for the french.

more interesting than louis xvi, and his government was the closest thing to an actual utopian society the modern western (or otherwise for that matter) world has ever seen to my knowledge, and im a history major!

Something's wrong with the new update here, I can't build any buildings what so ever, it's like they've been completely wiped out from the game. Even the building specific units can be created without them. I don't think I had a corrupt download or anything.

looks really nice

So, I'm trying to work on an outline for the continuity of the world that this mod uses, and I thought I could use some pointers.

Here's the modified Civlopedia entry for America as an example:

Spoiler :
The United States is young by Civilization standards, being barely more than 200 years old. The United States did not expand to reach its current borders until the middle of the 19th century, and did not become a true world power until the middle of the 20th century. America was the first European colony to separate successfully from its motherland, and it was among the first nations to be established on the premise that sovereignty rests with its citizens and not with the government.

Prior to the 1770s, the American colonists were loyal subjects of the British Empire, but a combination of taxes and ministerial mismanagement of the situation led to the outbreak of revolution in 1776. Led by a band of intelligent men collectively known as The Founding Fathers, America managed to win the fight for independence against all odds and lay the constitutional foundation for America's future growth. In its first century and a half, the country was mainly preoccupied with its own territorial exploration, internal development, and economic growth. American politics evolved from quasi-aristocratic beginnings to become increasingly democratic during the 1820s and '30s. But despite the nation's rapid acquisition of territory and dramatic population growth, the spectre of slavery continued to divide the country between North and South. The struggle between anti- and pro-slavery advocates eventually erupted in a bloody Civil War that lasted four years and consumed hundreds of thousands of lives. In the end, the Union was preserved and the power of the central federal government greatly strengthened compared to before the conflict.

Following the Civil War, the nation entered a period of unprecedented prosperity after the long conflict and reconstruction. In the ensuing two decades industrial production, the number of industrial workers, and the number of factories all more than doubled. European immigration, westward expansion, urban growth, technological advances, and a host of American inventions - including the telephone, typewriter, linotype, phonograph, electric light, cash register, air brake, refrigerator car, and the automobile - contributed to the American explosion, while widespread use of corporate organization offered new opportunities for large-scale financing of business enterprise and attracted new capital. But despite America's growth as one of the world's leading industrial powers, the nation still remained isolationist in outlook, paying little to no attention to the world outside its borders.

The Spanish-American War of 1898 marked the emergence of the United States onto the world's stage as a major power, but it was not until World War I that the country truly became invovled in world politics. Following the 1919 Versailles Peace Conference, the nation again turned its back on the rest of the world and enjoyed the prosperous decade known as the "Roaring Twenties". Unfortunately, this economic boom was not to last. Wall Street's stock market crashed in 1929 and kicked off the Great Depression of the 1930s. In the midst of constant bank failures and rampant unemployment, Franklin Roosevelt was elected president and set about to fix the country through his recovery plan called the "New Deal". The program was a mixed success economically, but helped restore hope and confidence to a people that were in serious need of both. Despite a coup by Charles Lindbergh, later revealed to be a Nazi agent, Roosevelt went on to lead the United States through the crucible of World War II, dying a few months before victory was won.

The Allied victory at the end of World War II left the United States as one of the world's two "superpowers" along with the Soviet Union. In only a few short years the two former allies had become opponents in the Cold War, a tense diplomatic standoff that would last for forty years. America would be the key player in the formation of the short-lived Oceania Pact, which would later evolve into NATO. Domestically, the nation enjoyed considerable prosperity in the 1950s, experienced a turbulent period of cultural and social change in the 1960s, and suffered through economic stagnation in the 1970s, with recovery taking place in the following decades. The Soviet Empire collapsed in 1991, but the nation faced new threats in the form of international terrorism.

A devastating attack on the Capitol building left the government decapitated, with the unelected Jack Ryan taking office. It was under Ryan that the United States waged a new war with Iranian radicals bent on becoming a superpower of the Middle East. With the US under martial law, Ryan defeated the rising empire and helped restore balanced to the fractured government. His successor, the erudite Jed Bartlet, enjoyed an era of relative calm until a new covert war with Qumar broke out. In this new War on Terrorism, the US employed highly trained Navy SEALS to combat this new menace. After Bartlet, the charismatic Matthew Santos made history by becoming the nations first Latino president. Santos ushered in a new wave of liberal reform, causing a huge conservative backlash. The Religious Right nominated the preacher Nehemiah Scudder to the presidency. Under Scudder, America as it had existed collapsed. A theocracy called the Republic of Gilead sprang from America's ruins and dictated American culture for several decades. During this time, the remnants of the nation faced not only a new World War, but also a global plague of infertility. Scudder's own plans for fertility harvesting, while callous and cruel, kept the American population afloat for the better part of the century. It wasn't until a backwoods engineer from Montana pulled together the greatest American invention, the warp drive, that America's prospects looked upwards once again. By expanding humanity's horizons, the American people helped unite the world under a new banner that not only brought a new era into humanity's history, but also sealed America's place in that history.

This looks fun! :D Let me suggest a few ideas...

New leaderheads:

Odysseus and Hercules for Greece.

Harrison Ford for America. (Get off my plane!)

New Civs:

Hammer Empire
Leader: Pink Floyd
(From the movie The Wall)

Black Hole Empire
Leaders: Sturm, Von Bolt
(From the Advance Wars series.)

More later...:mwaha:

This looks fun! :D Let me suggest a few ideas...

New leaderheads:

Odysseus and Hercules for Greece.

Harrison Ford for America. (Get off my plane!)

Odysseus and Hercules are already hero units, and Jack Ryan is an American leader, which is partly based off of Harrison Ford's portrayal of the character. Adding the character he played in Air Force One would be pretty redundant.

New Civs:

Hammer Empire
Leader: Pink Floyd
(From the movie The Wall)

Black Hole Empire
Leaders: Sturm, Von Bolt
(From the Advance Wars series.)

More later...:mwaha:

The nation that Pink rules in the movie is a drug-induced hallucination and a metaphor for his own misanthropy, rather than an actual state. And Moogi already explained why I can't use the Advance Wars thing.

Oh well, they were just suggestions. :)

Could you make a mirror please:mischief:
Anything but not filefront please:sad:
I always get a permission error when download from filefront:cry:

Say, is there anyone on the boards that knows anything about either Spanish or Iranian/Persian mythology and folklore? I'm a bit stuck on some ways to flesh these two civs out.

In ancient times, the Celtiberian resistance at Numancia has become a sort of legend or story demonstrating the toughness and freedom loving nature of Spaniards. Of course the reconquista adds to this legand and the resistance at Zaragoza in 1808 and 1809 is yet another example of a symbolic event of this nature. Even the Civil War on both sides tends to harken to it. I suppose this defensive, resilient mindset is already reflected in the Citadel building, but maybe you can keep it in mind as a theme

Some of the kookier aspects of Spanish Catholicism are probably quite fertile. Maybe you could have random events based on some of these stories, such as making the Virgin Mary appear in religious buildings, increasing their gold, happiness or culture output... a casual search of Wikipedia reveals, for example, this legend from Segovia and this one from Jaca.

Santiago (St James the Moorslayer) seems like the obvious choice for a heroic unit. There's a number of stories about him appearing to fight for Spain in different battles, he's a perfect archetype for the sort of crusader image Spain has.

If you're looking for something unique with him, think about the Calle de Santiago pilgrimage route which has existed since medieval times. Maybe he could be sacrificed to build his cathedral (the one in Santiago de Compostela), which would get a gold bonus for every city with your state religion? Alternatively, maybe winning battles with him could cause some mechanic like a new pilgrimage route building being constructed in the nearest city you own?

Also, Don Quixote! Tilting at windmills!

A more modern idea: Spanish Anarchism! It's not fiction of course but it was still a quasi-millenarian movement of mostly peasants, which probably has its own stories and such. Maybe an anarchist General Strike (the great myth of the anarchist movement) project has some civilisation-wide benefit whilst causing unhappiness in other civs...

This little Basque story might give you some inspiration for something, too.

In ancient times, the Celtiberian resistance at Numancia has become a sort of legend or story demonstrating the toughness and freedom loving nature of Spaniards. Of course the reconquista adds to this legand and the resistance at Zaragoza in 1808 and 1809 is yet another example of a symbolic event of this nature. Even the Civil War on both sides tends to harken to it. I suppose this defensive, resilient mindset is already reflected in the Citadel building, but maybe you can keep it in mind as a theme

Some of the kookier aspects of Spanish Catholicism are probably quite fertile. Maybe you could have random events based on some of these stories, such as making the Virgin Mary appear in religious buildings, increasing their gold, happiness or culture output... a casual search of Wikipedia reveals, for example, this legend from Segovia and this one from Jaca.

Santiago (St James the Moorslayer) seems like the obvious choice for a heroic unit. There's a number of stories about him appearing to fight for Spain in different battles, he's a perfect archetype for the sort of crusader image Spain has.

If you're looking for something unique with him, think about the Calle de Santiago pilgrimage route which has existed since medieval times. Maybe he could be sacrificed to build his cathedral (the one in Santiago de Compostela), which would get a gold bonus for every city with your state religion? Alternatively, maybe winning battles with him could cause some mechanic like a new pilgrimage route building being constructed in the nearest city you own?

Also, Don Quixote! Tilting at windmills!

A more modern idea: Spanish Anarchism! It's not fiction of course but it was still a quasi-millenarian movement of mostly peasants, which probably has its own stories and such. Maybe an anarchist General Strike (the great myth of the anarchist movement) project has some civilisation-wide benefit whilst causing unhappiness in other civs...

This little Basque story might give you some inspiration for something, too.

This is great stuff, thanks!

Quixote has been a planned hero for a long time. It's just that I'm planning him as a non-combat unit and he'll require a special python code to make him work. Since I royally suck at python, he'll have to be put off for a bit.

The rest I think I can easily find room for.

Top Bottom