Building the War Academy for Civ4

It's separate from the forum threads, so you should drop me a note when you did some major updates on your articles. For very minor changes it's not necessary to do that.

I'll be updating the Optimum Growth Strategy thread soon. In reality, the rank-ordering of the fastest early growth strategies isn't very different after the patch - the main exception is that a pure tree chopping strategy is now inferior to improving a resource first. The main conclusions - worker/worker/settler is the fastest early build - is unaltered. The original conclusions of the article actually apply as is for marathon game speed.

Not sure where to drop this suggestion, but since I found the article in question via the War Academy, maybe it can be routed to the proper authorities...

http://www.civfanatics.com/civ4/reference/acronyms.php

The entry for whipping refers to "Rush Production". Shouldn't that instead be spelled the way the game interface spells it (which I believe is "Hurry Production")?

I find the War Academy very interesting, but, once inside, I don't see the way of getting the articles in PDF format.
Thanks.

Anybody out there???
I was asking how can I get the articles in the WAR ACADEMY in PDF format.
In the introduction it seems there's a way but I can't find it. Does anybody know?
Thanks

Only a few of the articles are in PDF format... this is indicated with the PDF icon at the end.

If you have Adobe Distiller (part of Adobe Acrobat), you can create PDF files from any page by printing to the distiller.

Is it possible to indicate with a symbol or whatever next to the article as to what version it applies, instead of having to read it, then find out it exploits an issue that's been patched, or out of date entirely? Thanks. :)

I'll second the suggestion that articles need to be rated for applicability. I simply have no idea which ones pertain only to Civ4, which ones pertain to BtS, and which ones take into account BtS 3.13+ Bhruic's fixes. An icon, or series of them, should show applicability, and the authors of them should be encouraged to check their articles and either validate that they are relevant to the newest patch/edition, or update them so that they are. (Naturally, I'm not talking about whipping them into submission to force them to do this; some people just don't have the time/inclination to keep up with the changes, but if it became a more common practice to have UP TO DATE articles, that would go a long way to encouraging the authors to do this. The ball may have to be gotten rolling with a friendly email reminder or two.)

I've not made any such articles myself for Civ, but I've done it for other games, and when new rules came out, I at least did my loyal followers the service of letting them know how the changes affected what I provided.

Sorry for the lack of updates. I plan to make an update the War Academy very soon.

If you think some articles should be added, please make a list and post it in this thread. Thanks.

Just updated the academy with 30 articles. Let me know if I miss some good articles...

I am planning to update the War Academy with a few more articles now that BTS is well established. I have a preliminary list, but if you have any suggestions, please let me know!

Now that I've written one or two, please look in my sig for my submissions.

Hey, Ginger! 6969 posts, 69 images... one would get the wrong idea about you! :D

Hmmmm.... post #75... that's only 6 more than 69, and your name has 9 letters in it: that's another 69! :lol:

I'm sure if we try hard enough, we can find more. :crazyeye:

There hasn't been any activity in this thread for six years, and the War Academy section is very outdated. Half of the articles there were written before BtS was released and aren't very useful for BtS players (which are almost all of us). What about doing some cleanup in the War Academy? For instance, something pretty straightforward that wouldn't require much effort would be moving the articles that don't apply to BtS to sections called "Vanilla" and "Warlords". What do you think?

I have started rereading the Civilization IV War Academy recently. I'd be willing to help by classifying the articles as Vanilla (Civ 4 the original game), Warlords, BtS 3.08, 3.13, 3.17 and 3.19.

I've also tried to get articles corrected in the Civilization IV War Academy, but I'm having no luck at doing so. These are mainly spelling and grammar corrections. However, there is at least one major content omission, regarding "Sisiutil's Strategy Guide for Beginners" PDF document. The War Academy links to version 2 which is updated for Warlords, but version 5 is available which Sisiutil had gone through great pains to update to BtS (version 3) and two more minor updates. It is a great resource for the beginning player that is not being utilized due to an outdated link. Rather than a single link, there should be a link for Vanilla (version 1), Warlords (version 2) and Beyond the Sword (version 5).

Sincerely,

孫子武

That would be useful. If you have a list of things that need to be fixed, you can post them here (and best to PM me or report the post, so that I don't miss it) and I'll make sure they get fixed.

This is the page you're referring to http://www.civfanatics.com/civ4/strategy/sisiutil.php ?
I'm having no luck updating the attachment, but I can ask one of the content admins to help.

So... where are all the War Academy articles? I follow the link at the top and it takes me to this page (http://www.civfanatics.com/civ4/strategy/) which seems to imply that it contains links to articles, but... doesn't. And if I find forum threads that reference articles and try to click on them, I get "Not Found" pages.

I've been wanting to revisit Civ IV after playing exclusive V (and now VI) for several years, and was hoping the war academy would get me back up to speed, strategy wise, but I can't seem to find it. The Civ II and III War Academies are still there, so it doesn't appear to be an issue of obsolescence.

I did find Sisiutil's guide, which frankly may be all I need, but I remember really liking everything the WA had to offer and was looking forward to revisiting it.

Top Bottom