[BXP][Module] Native Civs Pack for BAT

I posted this a few weeks ago under another thread. Thought it MAY be useful here...

I am a Native American (First Nations) and think it would be great if someone would use proper names and such just out of courtesy. The well designed units created deserve proper names and dress. So much talent here, it could be easily done and much appreciated.

And oh yeah, would someone please fix Ostenaco's eyelids? Egad!!!! Maybe it's just MY Ostenaco... who knows.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

As someone with Native American heritage (er, doesn't every American claim it though? lol!) I think it's great that the First Nations are represented. In fact, it would be FAR easier to represent the Native Americans as nations anyway. To keep the modeling down.

Some that are readily identifiable by dress.

1. The Wabanaki Confederacy: Fought with 2 extensively

2. The Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) Confederacy. Or Six Nations: Includes the Kanienkehaka (or "Mohawks", but this is what their Algonkian enemies called them meaning "Man-eaters")

3. The Wendat (Known as Huron, but Huron can be seen as a derogatory term as it has a European origin roughly meaning "Bristly Savage")The Wyandot are the same people.

4. The Anishinabe (Chippewa, Ojibwa) Typical dress was the headband, upright feather and braids (Your Archetypical "Indian" *sigh*) though some adopted "Mohawk" style and as they moved west, adopted the large feathered head-dresses of the Sioux on occasion.

5. The Aniyunwiya ( or Cherokee, this is an acceptable name, although it is Tsalagi in their own language.)

6. The Oceti Sakowin ("Seven council fires" or The Great Sioux nation) Nakota, Lakota and Dakota are considered acceptable to the peoples within this nation, but they are distinct. Here you find those wonderful large feathered headdress.

...And no, the "Mohicans" didn't die out. The Europeans lumped several tribes together Namely the "Mahicans and the Mohegans". Then J.F.C.'s book came out and they were forever the Mohicans due to some really bad European transliteration. The peoples written about (vaguely) still exist, though now, most live in Wisconsin.

There are many other great nations, but I thought I'd name a few anyway. I know more about the east, great lakes and northern plains. The southern plains and western tribes (and nations) are less familiar to me. However, they are some very interesting peoples.

I might be able to scrounge up some pics (drawings) of the dress common to the peoples I've listed, but most of this is off the top of my head.

One note to historical accuracy if anyone cares. The Native Americans did not have access to Horses until the arrival of the Europeans. Most large animals had been driven to extinction probably by early hunters (debatable). The Mammoths, Camels etc... (yes camels... in fact, camels originated in North America.) So having horses is very far-fetched before contact with people who already have them.

With this in mind, I believe some clever person has developed an addition that allows corn to be had as a resource as long as contact has been made with civ that has ready access. Something about Farmers... I think. A truly novel approach to the game. I think this could be made true for animals as well, therefore allowing Native Americans to have Horses once they are in contact with Civs that have them.

Some info and an idea, I hope someone finds it useful.

Very interesting and detailed post there. I am not a real artist, but I know that two people are working on Native American units of Iroquois and Sioux nations.

I will consider adding the Wabanaki, Wendat and Ojibwe/a (are they the same?).

No.

The Wabanaki Confederacy was created by five tribes. The Abenaki, the Penobscot, the Maliseet, the Passamaquoddy, and the Mi'kmaq to thwart Iroquois aggression. They were Algonquin speaking peoples native to the northeast. These tribes were Patrilineal.

Metacom or "King Philip" was a famous Abenaki leader.
Wawanolewat or Greylock was a famous Abenaki leader.

http://www.nativetech.org/clothing/regions/regions.html

Abenaki colors and dress
It seems, lighter and brighter colors were the order of the day. Barring of course the tanned leather which appears to have been left in the light tan of its original state.

The Wendat Confederacy (Huron Nation... not a polite name) consisted of four Iroquois speaking peoples, Arendarhonon, Tahontaenrat, Attigneenongnahac and Attignawantan. Wyandots are the same people. There were all in all a total of 14 bands US and Canada all told who joined together to fend off the Iroquois Confederacy. Wendat society being kin to the Iroquois was Matrilineal. Though, Patrilineal decent was honored as well. Also of note, they were comparatively wealthy compared to other First Nations... and showed it.

Donacona was a Wendat/Huron chief, but he was taken to France by Jacques Cartier and died. Not very auspicious.

Sassaba was a minor chief, but fought with Tecumseh and was a skilled warrior. Could be a general type?
He is famous for his hatred of the Americans. A quote describing his appearance at a meeting with General Cass about the sale of Chippewa land. "Beginning at the top an eagle's feather, bear's grease, vermilion and indigo (war paint), a red British military coat with two enormous epaulets, a large British silver medal, breech-clout, leggings, and moccasins." Not only this, but he purposely flew a British flag over his dwelling to irk the Americans. He also used to walk through his village naked wrapped in a wolfs cloak. He was known as "The Count".

Alhasnase another... info is scarce.

Notice the Huron of the 1880's and compare to the Iroquois "dancers" below.
The Huron had a penchant for reds and blacks... face paint as well.

Towns: Andiata, Angoutenc, Anonatea, Arendaonatia, Arente
Arontaen, Cahiague, Carhagouha, Carmaron, Ekhiondatsaan, Endarahy,
Iaenhouton, Ihonatiria, Junqusindunde, Junundat, Khioetoa, Karenhassa, Khinonascarant,Ouenrio, Onentisati, Ossossane, Sandusky, Scanonaenrat,
Taenhatentaron, Teanaustayaé, Teandewiata, Touaguainchain, Tondakhra,

The Anishinabeg or Chippewa/ Ojibwa, Ottawa (closely related to the Chippewa/Ojibwa) and the Nishnabek or Potowatomi (Council of three fires) were an Algonquin speaking alliance against Iroquois and Sioux aggression. The Chippewa/Ojibwa, Ottawa and Potowatomi were patrilineal.

Chief Obwandiyag or Pontiac, famous leader of the Chippewa/Ojibwa and Ottawa.

Chief Tonquish was a famous Potowatomi chief. He is buried a few miles from my home.

Typical house. Though some were square based with pointed tops, as they moved west adopted the tipis.

A Ottawa chief displaying fairly typical warrior dress. More common as they moved west and encountered the Sioux. Notice the "axe".

Notice the Porcupine tuft, a very common hairstyle.
Many Of these warriors would fight with just leggings, a "vanity" flap and a cloak even in winter to prove how tough they were.

The Chippewa/Ojibwa after
Linen had taken over leather in dress.

The Chippewa were one of the very few First Nations people to never be completely displaced by the Europeans. The Chippewa/Ojibwa and the Cree are the largest Native American groups existing today.

Various forms of Chippewa/Ojibwa dress

The Chippewa/Ojibwa were fond of darker colors of dress while in the woodlands, after they chased the Sioux from the Great Lakes area, they adopted some of the Sioux colors and modes of dress... a kind of Woodland, plains combo. Black and red face paint very prominent.

Towns: Angwassag, *Betonukeengainubejig, Cheboygan,
*Kechegunmewininewug, *Kechesebewininewug, *Kojejewininewug, Mattawan, Michilimackinac, Michipicoten, *Mukmeduawininewug, *Munominikasheenhug, Nabohish, Nagonabe, Nameuilni, Nopeming, Omushkasug, Ontonagon, Otusson, Ouasouarini, Pawating, Pokegma, Saginaw, *Sugwaundugahwininewug, *Wahsuahgunewininewug, Wequadong.

*Major sub-divisions of the Nation.

**Note: Many of these names indicate a subdivision of the Chippewa/Ojibwa people. They can also be use as settlements or place names. As these Sub-divisions often used such.

The Kanonsionni (league of clans) now Haudenosaunee (League of strength and peace) or Iroquois Confederacy consisted of six nations. The Gayogohono or Cayuga, Kanienkehaka or Mohawk, Onyota'aka or Oneida, Onundaga'ono or Onondaga, Onandowaga or Seneca and the Skarureh or Tuscarora tribes. All spoke the Iroquois language. The Iroquois tribes were Matrilineal. Though they did not run the society. They were the keepers of knowledge.

Hiawatha was a semi-mythical leader of the Iroquois dating to the 1500's. Kind of like the Roman Romulus and Remus based in some fact, but not quite an absolute.

Thayendanégea or Joseph Brant was an Iroquois leader, of the Mohawk Wolf clan. Probably the best warrior chief ever.

Iroquois War Club... very dangerous and effective. Practiced every day, in the hands of a skilled warrior, could easily out-match a European swordsman or bayonet... though by that time, many Iroquois had taken up long guns and became quite expert.

Typical longhouse

Modern Iroquois "dancers" close to average dress. Warriors would wear much less. Face paint and cloaks with a porcupine tuft on the head were common.

While hair styles varied, many different tribes practiced shaving the head to the scalp while leaving a stripe down the middle. The "Mohawks" were the first people to be seen with this hair style since they were the "Guardians of the Eastern door" of the Iroquois Confederation.

Some ideas about color. This is based on the Seminole Indians (Very, Very tough folks!!!) But much truth can be found in other tribes in the east of North America.

Red is the color of war

White is the color of peace

Black is put on the face to prepare for war. It is a "living" color and protective.

Green was worn under the eyes by the Seminoles and was supposed to empower night vision... I dont know how wide spread THIS was... lol.

Yellow is the color of death. As in yellowing bones... Not sure how widespread this was either.

Well, this is long and drawn out, but I hope it helps with the creation of some authentic First Nation civs. I hope the moderator doesn't kill me...

***NOTE*** It seems there is an issue regarding displaying the drawings I had "borrowed" from a particular site. I redirect you to this web page and map on the NativeTech.org site to further enhance the dress of the woodland tribes. I would also encourage you to visit the many other pages, as there are pictures of particular clothing on display showing color and feather variation.

I would also direct you to the following link for additional artist representations of native dress, mind you, it isn't complete and many of the tribes depicted, especially the eastern woodlands had changed much in the 200 years since the first Europeans arrived. Most of these Prints exist from the 1830's

http://catlinclassroom.si.edu/catlin_browsepagetribe.cfm?StartRow=1

At the time of the first European arrival, the major Nations were the Iroquois Confederacy, the Abenaki Confederacy, The Lenape, The Cherokee, The Wendat or Huron Confederacy. The were other powerful tribes such as the Shawnee who were driven out by the Iroquois. Many of the Eastern tribes considered the Lenape or Delaware to be their "Grandfathers" from which all Algonquin speaking people originated, the Shawnee being one of them. It is the Lenape who feature prominently in James Fenimore Coopers book "The Last of the Mohicans"

Pen drawings credit Nativetech.org
Pictures of dwellings and Iroquois War Club credit Geocities/Bigorrin
Picture of native dancers credit www.peace4turtleisland/steve
Paintings and prints credit DonaldHeald.com
Print of Chief Pontiac credit Nativeamericanrhymes.com
Painting of Chief Pontiac credit Wikipedia
Color picture of Abenaki Clothing credit www.native-languages.org
Additional prints by Catlinclassroom. See url above.

NikNaks93,

Sorry about that, the Chippewa/Ojibwa or Ojibwe are the same people.

The Americans call them Chippewa, and the Canadians call them Ojibwa or Ojibwe. Chippewa/Ojibwa are Anglicized versions in either case. In their own tongue they are the Anishinabe.

On another note, while these people don't figure very prominently in history because of the distance to the European frontier, they were considered to be the most fit and Warlike of all the eastern tribes. With the possible exception of the Fox. With whom they were in constant conflict. They fought the Sioux and pushed them west out of the Great Lakes Completely.

hi NikNaks93, i wanted to use this mod to view/test the new native americans, (hopfully to debut in the near future) ;) , but i am not very well versed in XML stuff...the question is, i noticed only one CIV4UnitArtStyleTypeInfos.xml, as opposed to one for each new civ. this may be a stupid question, but in order for me to test/view "new creations", i would have to replace existing ones?...., :suicide: or for example, to now have both iroquois and sioux musketmen in game, would they have to be custom units? :suicide: :suicide: :suicide:

i actually have a similar problem, i noticed then when playing as the iriqious, when i select a chariot to build, the game crashes, also the peltast isnt native american looking

I don't know about other tribes, but I could name some Sioux empire cities:

Omaha
Wichita
Cheyenne
Butte or Missoula
Sioux Falls (Minnehaha means "where the waters laugh" or "waterfall")
Saskatoon
Winnipeg
Kansas City
Oklahoma City

NikNaks, I know I asked this before, but since you haven't responded: how do I make this work properly with VD? I have some idea on how to do it, but if you were to be more specific?

Oh, sorry. The easiest way to do it is to go to Varietas Delectat/Assets/Modules/Varietas Delectat/XML/UnitArtStyles&CivInfos/, open "VD_CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml", locate this:
Code:
		<CivilizationInfo>
			<Type>CIVILIZATION_NATIVE_AMERICA</Type>
			<Description>TXT_KEY_CIV_NATIVE_AMERICA_DESC</Description>
			<ShortDescription>TXT_KEY_CIV_NATIVE_AMERICA_SHORT_DESC</ShortDescription>
			<Adjective>TXT_KEY_CIV_NATIVE_AMERICA_ADJECTIVE</Adjective>
			<Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_CIV_NATIVE_AMERICA_PEDIA</Civilopedia>
			<DefaultPlayerColor>PLAYERCOLOR_LIGHT_BROWN</DefaultPlayerColor>
			<ArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_CIVILIZATION_NATIVE_AMERICA</ArtDefineTag>
			<ArtStyleType>ARTSTYLE_NATIVE_AMERICA</ArtStyleType>
			<UnitArtStyleType>UNIT_ARTSTYLE_NATIVE_AMERICAN</UnitArtStyleType>
			<bPlayable>1</bPlayable>
			<bAIPlayable>1</bAIPlayable>
			<Cities>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_CAHOKIA</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_POVERTY_POINT</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_MOUND_CITY</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_CHACO_CANYON</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_MESA_VERDE</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_SNAKETOWN</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_SPIRO</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_MOUNDVILLE</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_NACOGDOCHES</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_NANIH_WAIYA</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_ANHAICA</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_ETOWAH</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_OCMULGEE</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_KITUHWA</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_FORT_ANCIENT</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_ONONDAGA</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_BAWATING</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_ACOMA</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_NAMBE</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_HOVENSWEEP</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_CASA_GRANDE</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_CRIEL</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_JOARA</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_LAKE_JACKSON</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_CHOTA</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_ONEIDA</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_LOGSTOWN</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_FIVE_FINGER_RIDGE</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_FRIJOLES_CANYON</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_PUYE_CLIFF</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_KIET_SIEL</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_MONTEZUMA_CASTLE</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_WICKLIFFE</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_AZTALAN</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_ANGEL_MOUNDS</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_TSIREGE</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_TAOS</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_ZUNI</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_TISHOMINGO</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_SHAUGAWAUMIKONG</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_ALLUMETTE</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_WENDAKE</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_NORRIDGEWOCK</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_MUTSUN</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_OZETTE</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_ESTIPAH_SKIKIKINI_KOTS</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_HUECO_TANKS</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_UKPIAGVIK</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_KETCHIKAN</City>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_KUUJJUAQ</City>
			</Cities>
			<Buildings>
				<Building>
					<BuildingClassType>BUILDINGCLASS_OBELISK</BuildingClassType>
					<BuildingType>BUILDING_NATIVE_AMERICA_TOTEM</BuildingType>
				</Building>
			</Buildings>
			<Units>
				<Unit>
					<UnitClassType>UNITCLASS_AXEMAN</UnitClassType>
					<UnitType>UNIT_NATIVE_AMERICA_DOG_SOLDIER</UnitType>
				</Unit>
			</Units>
			<FreeUnitClasses>
				<FreeUnitClass>
					<UnitClassType>UNITCLASS_SETTLER</UnitClassType>
					<iFreeUnits>1</iFreeUnits>
				</FreeUnitClass>
			</FreeUnitClasses>
			<FreeBuildingClasses>
				<FreeBuildingClass>
					<BuildingClassType>BUILDINGCLASS_PALACE</BuildingClassType>
					<bFreeBuildingClass>1</bFreeBuildingClass>
				</FreeBuildingClass>
			</FreeBuildingClasses>
			<FreeTechs>
				<FreeTech>
					<TechType>TECH_AGRICULTURE</TechType>
					<bFreeTech>1</bFreeTech>
				</FreeTech>
				<FreeTech>
					<TechType>TECH_FISHING</TechType>
					<bFreeTech>1</bFreeTech>
				</FreeTech>
			</FreeTechs>
			<DisableTechs/>
			<InitialCivics>
				<CivicType>CIVIC_DESPOTISM</CivicType>
				<CivicType>CIVIC_BARBARISM</CivicType>
				<CivicType>CIVIC_TRIBALISM</CivicType>
				<CivicType>CIVIC_DECENTRALIZATION</CivicType>
				<CivicType>CIVIC_PAGANISM</CivicType>
			</InitialCivics>
			<Leaders>
				<Leader>
					<LeaderName>LEADER_SITTING_BULL</LeaderName>
					<bLeaderAvailability>1</bLeaderAvailability>
				</Leader>
			</Leaders>
			<DerivativeCiv>CIVILIZATION_AMERICA</DerivativeCiv>
			<CivilizationSelectionSound>AS3D_NATIVE_AMERICA_SELECT</CivilizationSelectionSound>
			<CivilizationActionSound>AS3D_NATIVE_AMERICA_ORDER</CivilizationActionSound>
		</CivilizationInfo>
and delete it. Save and you should be good to go.

Top Bottom