Canada Mod - Deluxe Edition

Soam said:
Yeah Wyz, don't forget Moose Jaw. :cool:

Sorry, Moose Jaw missed the cut. Saskatchewan is represented by Regina, Saskatoon and Prince Albert. Substituting Mosse Jaw (or just adding it) is easy, of course. I can do that if you like.

What makes the bio's so hard? Can't you just cut them out of Wikipedia and then edit a bit or is there some rule against that?

Yup. That's what I did for a couple of them. But they have to be stripped and reordered because there is too much info otherwise. That pain is in the tagging in XML for paragraph breaks, and then applying these entries to the other languages (as placeholders, relly).

I always thought the Mountie should be Canada's UU but I have no problem with a WW Infantry unit. I just don't think that people should consider WW2 as Canada's golden age, considering that the people back home were far from living it large.

WWI and WWII were "golden" in the sense that the country finally gained some measure of recognition beyond Britain on the international stage. Plus, it was a booming time for the economy and population. I agree with your perspective, though.

Is it possible to have 2D leaderheads in Civ4? Then you could find some photos online and use them until a sufficient 3d one is created. I always prefered this in Civ3 instead of reusing existing leaderheads.

Yup. I have some pics that somewhat was kind enough to send me. I need to play around with the files first, though. But we can do that.

I think Trudeau is a great pick for one of the leaders. Love him or hate him you can't deny the impact he has had on the country. Before him, Canada was a very different place. With the patriation of the constitution we finally became absolutely 100% independent of Britain. The other thing is that unlike many of our leaders he actually had a vision and sent out to achieve it. He didn't just preside and react to issues. He was a real leader. Laurier, Pearson and MacDonald are the only ones who strike me as being in that league. King may have ruled the longest but really he wasn't much of a doer. That's my two cents. Great effort on this mod by the way :)

do you have any screeinie of the canadian corps?

spa said:
I think Trudeau is a great pick for one of the leaders. Love him or hate him you can't deny the impact he has had on the country. Before him, Canada was a very different place. With the patriation of the constitution we finally became absolutely 100% independent of Britain. The other thing is that unlike many of our leaders he actually had a vision and sent out to achieve it. He didn't just preside and react to issues. He was a real leader. Laurier, Pearson and MacDonald are the only ones who strike me as being in that league. King may have ruled the longest but really he wasn't much of a doer. That's my two cents. Great effort on this mod by the way :)

Thanks! I agree with your comments on the PMs. I could just take King out, but after putting in the effort to get him there, he may as well stay. I'll simply add MacDonald and Pearson.

Tommy1234567890 said:
do you have any screeinie of the canadian corps?

Unfortunately it just uses the existing Infantry icon and unit graphics. The stats are different, of course, as it the Civpedia entry. But the graphics are the same. As soon as some new graphics emerge, I'll make the change.

...or if some talented modder out there want to make one?

And another reason Canadian Corps should be the UU.

During the liberation of Europe in WWII, General Montgomery had the Americans push through the open lands along the French/German border, as they were experts at mechanized warfare. The British took the middle through Belgium/German border, but I can't remember his reasoning for this. The Canadians, however, were assigned the outer prong, along the coast and into Belgium and the Netherlands, as he knew that the Canadians were quite good at infantry attacks, and bogged down fighting. I remember seeing this in the Calgary Herald a while ago when Montgomery's son visited the city and gave a speech about his father, and this was one of the things he said.

Also, has anyone seen the show Turning Points of History on History Television? One of the episodes deals with the Battle of Ortona in Italy during WWII. The Canadians fought the Germans in a violent battle for this city. The Germans had dug themselves in deep, planning a slaughter of Canadian troops. However, they devised ways around this, and fought fiercly from house to house until the Germans retreated. At the time it was dubbed "Little Stalingrad".

And a random fact. Canadians should have actually liberated Rome, but the American general forced them to stay back, so that he could take the city.

ya I believe that was gerneral paton and i also heard that the reason the Canadians and Britsh stayed back was because General Paton threaten to fire on anyone who tried to enter Rome before his troops.

Chopperhead said:
ya I believe that was gerneral paton and i also heard that the reason the Canadians and Britsh stayed back was because General Paton threaten to fire on anyone who tried to enter Rome before his troops.

I did watch that a couple days ago on historytelevision, apparantly it is true that the American General (not Patton) threatened to shoot at Brit & Canadian Forces if they attempted to enter the city. So while Americans were glorified, Canadians were on the outskirts. Also, people dont know much about this cause a couple days later, was D-Day.

Wyz_sub10 said:
Sorry, Moose Jaw missed the cut. Saskatchewan is represented by Regina, Saskatoon and Prince Albert. Substituting Mosse Jaw (or just adding it) is easy, of course. I can do that if you like.
The city with the world's largest moose gets rejected. :cry:
Maybe make Mac the Moose a Canadian national wonder? heh...

That pain is in the tagging in XML for paragraph breaks, and then applying these entries to the other languages (as placeholders, relly).
Right forgot about putting it into XML.

WWI and WWII were "golden" in the sense that the country finally gained some measure of recognition beyond Britain on the international stage. Plus, it was a booming time for the economy and population. I agree with your perspective, though.
Alright a Military Golden Age then. :)
Goodluck with the rest of the mod.

You should have had Cretian (sp?) as a leader you would only have to animate half his mouth

ehBeaver said:
I did watch that a couple days ago on historytelevision, apparantly it is true that the American General (not Patton) threatened to shoot at Brit & Canadian Forces if they attempted to enter the city. So while Americans were glorified, Canadians were on the outskirts. Also, people dont know much about this cause a couple days later, was D-Day.

Mark Clark was in command in Italy, the man was an idiot. If it was not for Ike he would have been riding a desk in Tunis or some such place. We should have taken him up on the challenge. ;)

I'd still like to do the CN Tower, but I see that the Eiffel Tower functions as I imagined the CN Tower would.

I was thinking of ther Trans Canadian Railway as a wonder of sorts. There's also trans Atlantic communications that was a significant milestone.

You actually made me realise that the CN Tower is just like the Eiffel Tower but larger and newer. I suppose if the Eiffle Tower is in the CN Tower has just as much right to be in. Trans Atlantic telegraph would be a better wonder I think though that the CN Tower, but what effect would you give it?

That Camp X thing was pretty cool, Canada should have that for training spys instead of Scotland Yard.

I vote for a Corvette (naval unit) that has a +50% bonus against subs. It just makes sense... into the 50's, 60's and even today (trust me, I know first hand) Canadian ASW tactics and skills are world class.

Operator said:
I vote for a Corvette (naval unit) that has a +50% bonus against subs. It just makes sense... into the 50's, 60's and even today (trust me, I know first hand) Canadian ASW tactics and skills are world class.

That would make sense but the only issue is that all the UUs in Civ 4 are land units. I think they did it becuase it was a balance issue. YOu don't just play civ to roll over every one, you play it to be challenged and roll over every one.

Good job on the Canadian mod! It always amazes me that the game doesn't come with a Canadian mod, since that seems to be one of the first mods people make.

My two cents:

For leaders I agree Trudeau has to be there, and I think for balance (English, Tory) it would be good to have Macdonald.

For UU, I understand the arguments for Canada Corps and actually think it's a very good idea. I also like Mounties, who really were instrumental in opening up the west in the late 19th century. Another potential unit, too often ignored, is Voyageurs. This would be an 18th century unit, of course. The Voyageurs' abilities as explorers were really astonishing. (This would also be a good unit for a Quebec civilization.) Peacekeeper is also a great unit idea, though the truth is we were better peacekeepers 20 years ago than we are now, due to government cutbacks.

CivMad said:
Another potential unit, too often ignored, is Voyageurs. This would be an 18th century unit, of course. The Voyageurs' abilities as explorers were really astonishing. (This would also be a good unit for a Quebec civilization.)

You just gave the reason Voyageurs shouldn't be Canada's UU right there. It was a French colonial fur trader, not Canadian. A UU should represent all the countries history, not just a specific region.

SuperBeaverInc. said:
You just gave the reason Voyageurs shouldn't be Canada's UU right there. It was a French colonial fur trader, not Canadian. A UU should represent all the countries history, not just a specific region.

They were definitely Canadian, though. They worked along with Scots to develop the fur trade from Quebec right through to Manitoba. They were instrumental in developing commerce along the St. Lawrence to the Great Lakes. Posts like Fort William were owned and managed by Brit Scots, but relied on the voyageurs to trap, process and deliver goods back to the Atlantic ports.

They were my UU in my first Civ3 Canada mod - a modified settler unit.

Top Bottom