Caveman 2 Cosmos

Hi guys,

I just updated to SVN Version 9332 (from about V 9330) and am suddenly seeing this creature I haven't seen before called the "Beastly Community" which has wiped out all my Wanderers in quick succession early game yet I can't see any entry for it in the Civopedia nor ever see it once it finishes its attack it just disappears. Is this WAD ?

Cheers
Colonelflag

Hi guys,

I just updated to SVN Version 9332 (from about V 9330) and am suddenly seeing this creature I haven't seen before called the "Beastly Community" which has wiped out all my Wanderers in quick succession early game yet I can't see any entry for it in the Civopedia nor ever see it once it finishes its attack it just disappears. Is this WAD ?

Cheers
Colonelflag
Um... not so far as I know myself but another modder may have gotten a little clever on us here...

Hi guys,

Cheers
Colonelflag
Uh... are you sure you're reading the name of the unit correctly? I'm certainly not seeing any units named "community" in the files. I'm wondering if maybe it's a Cave lion or other stealth-capable unit under Hide and Seek rules?

Maybe he's talking about the Beasts animal player?

Ok i'll go back in and try get the exact wording of the assailant, but it was very similar to what i named above. It also wiped out all my Stone Throwers. The icon,when it attacks, looks like a monkey also. It seems tougher than a Brown bear as well !

Cheers
Colonelflag

Ok i'll go back in and try get the exact wording of the assailant, but it was very similar to what i named above. It also wiped out all my Stone Throwers. The icon,when it attacks, looks like a monkey also. It seems tougher than a Brown bear as well !

Cheers
Colonelflag
Aha. Probably a Chimpanzee then. I think they're the only primate that falls into the Beastly group rather than the Creaturely group. I'll have to check to see if they get any form of stealth though; I normally play without Hide and Seek. Do you have that option on or off in your game?

Ok - so i was finally able to see one before it attacked- its a "Community- Chimpanze" unit, 3 Str. The log entry on the screen just displays "Beastly- Community" after it has attacked which is why i was confused.

@TrippedOnACloud -sorry, just saw your post. Yes, i play with H & S on. I have never been able to see one in jungle of forest.

If it's displaying only the size category in the logs as the unit name, that sounds like a bug, but I don't normally play with Size Matters, so I'm not sure. Also, I just noticed they have Nature(Fecal Flinging) as a subcombat class :lol:. I wonder if we can tie that into the eventual diseases framework somehow?

Civ 6 is not out yet. And since the SDK was not immediately released for Civ 4 or Civ 5, it's probably going to take a while for Civ 6 as well.

On top of that, porting years of efforts to another system is a huge endeavor, and several modders are not active any more.

From what we can already see, Civ 6 will probably be better than Civ 5. Whether it will be better than Civ 4 remains to be seen.

Ok - so i was finally able to see one before it attacked- its a "Community- Chimpanze" unit, 3 Str. The log entry on the screen just displays "Beastly- Community" after it has attacked which is why i was confused.

@TrippedOnACloud -sorry, just saw your post. Yes, i play with H & S on. I have never been able to see one in jungle of forest.
Ah... that's right. There's a renaming element to spawns to give the opportunity to 'name' the group size the unit is told to spawn at.

If it's displaying only the size category in the logs as the unit name, that sounds like a bug, but I don't normally play with Size Matters, so I'm not sure. Also, I just noticed they have Nature(Fecal Flinging) as a subcombat class :lol:. I wonder if we can tie that into the eventual diseases framework somehow?
Yeah, I guess it would be a bug in the fact that it's displaying only the Community part when it discusses the unit in the combat message. Not sure how it could be right in one place and wrong in the next... it draws on the same string. I'll look into it eventually.

I know the subcombat class is funny but let's be honest, it's a real defense mechanism they use. It will play into a disease/poison system coming soon, yes, but it will also make them repulsive, which is really what makes it truly effective as a defense mechanism. Repulse capabilities will be introduced with the next combat mod update and I'm really hoping to include that in the next version cycle.

Are you going to start working on a civ 6 C2C now that the modding system is a lot more integrated?
Nope. It's still a 1UPT game.

Why is TXT_KEY_TECH_UTOPIA have the text Communism. Should they not be the same, I thought that was one of the things we were getting done with the breaking of saves changes.

Why is TXT_KEY_TECH_UTOPIA have the text Communism. Should they not be the same, I thought that was one of the things we were getting done with the breaking of saves changes.
Been noticing a lot of that in buildings as I trace the building to the text as part of a review process I fiddle with now and then. I'm going to be breaking saves with my next major update which will take a week or two to complete I think, so it's a good time to be working on aligning those tag names to texts.

Ya, so I am pretty sure this is a bug (unless its a placeholder graphic?), but I noticed a strange, and exotic creature hanging around the jungle. It is called an orangutan, but rather than looking like an orangutan, it looks like a viking wielding two metal axes and wearing boxers/shorts. Made me laugh after initially defecating a brick (my club man would get raped in the jungle by a guy wielding an axe..im only early on in prehistoric era in eternity mode... XD

Ya, so I am pretty sure this is a bug (unless its a placeholder graphic?), but I noticed a strange, and exotic creature hanging around the jungle. It is called an orangutan, but rather than looking like an orangutan, it looks like a viking wielding two metal axes and wearing boxers/shorts. Made me laugh after initially defecating a brick (my club man would get raped in the jungle by a guy wielding an axe..im only early on in prehistoric era in eternity mode... XD
Turn animations on in the graphic options (Ctrl-O). Without animations on you will get the default unit that the graphic was built on. Knight for crocodile etc. It usually displays the correct graphic if you select the unit an then goes back to the strange one after.

You are on low graphics settings and have your animations disabled. Either increase your graphics settings from low to med or high AND/OR turn animations on. Both exist in the Civilization Game options panel. On overly simplified graphic options, re-skinning a unit doesn't operate correctly.

How do I install this mod? I can't find instructions anywhere. I haven't installed Civ4 mods before. And to clarify something: requirement is Civ4:BtS, right?

You'll also need the 3.19 bts patch you can download on this forum (search for it).
Oh, gee, thanks a lot! I already had that from Steam.
[/sarcasm]

I took a look at the file old Rise of Mankind readme.html. There are the instructions! Why couldn't those be in the README.txt or in the Caveman 2 Cosmos (editing readme).*? Anyway in my case Caveman2Cosmos goes to folder:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods

At first I had it in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Mods which left me scratching my head for a while. Now one more turn...

Top Bottom