CDG Series Discussion Thread

I am currently looking at the old Zulu map (since I want to try to forget my latest Germany map) and I am wondering if anybody would be interested in an easy textbook China Chu-ko-nu map.

The achievements could be really simple:
Get Machinery before Turn X
Get X capital before reaching the Industrial era
Get X capital before Ideology
Get X Chu-Ko-Nu with the Range promotion
Finish the game with X Chu-Ko-Nu

I haven't played CDG for quite a while, but I'd certainly try an easy Chu-ko-nu map. Just make sure the map isn't too big, so there's a realistic chance to finish the game with them.

Once you are allied with a few (and acquire the 3-4 lux), feitoras lose their usefulness.
That is the much of dilemma with trying to get something from the UI.

You could maybe edit the map to make them more useful by granting higher lux diversity to the CSes.
I am not opposed to editing a map (have not done that before though), but if that is what it takes to make the UI functional -- then I am not really interested. I would like to try and find settings where Portugal is not essentially The Neutrals. If the map has to be modded for the UI to be worth bothering with, that just proves the point.

With the UA, you want to make cargo TR for a lot of gold. DoWing CSes however will guarantee that some random CS Caravel will pillage them.
That is a good point. But Internal cargo routes are strong too, easier to defend, and the war-on-the-CS would be after the UU upgrades.

If you could find an AI that likes to pillage feitoras (act of war) this could maybe turn into an interesting game.
That would be interesting! I have only played Portugal a few times. But all those games I build feitoras, and I never had one pillaged. The civlopedia mentions that being an act of war -- but I think that is just wishful thinking.

I am wondering if anybody would be interested in an easy textbook China Chu-ko-nu map.
Sounds good and I would be quite grateful!

I thought this idea had come up before, but I am not finding in this thread: How about an Ottoman domination game where the main achievement points come from collecting a naval UU from each of your opponents?

Assuming the idea is reasonably appealing, I can see a couple hitches with rolling a map:
  1. You pretty much need to start with Carthage and Byzantium as your neighbors, since their UU is only available at the beginning. Can any mods help with that?
  2. This might require everyone having a coastal start. But watery maps tend to be too easy for dom. Any ideas on how to balance that out, or what map script to use?

EDIT: In the absence of any better ideas, I was rolling Ottoman maps and playing them for 150+ turns to see if they unfold well enough for what I have in mind. I got lucky with the third one to have both Carthage and Byzantium close enough. And I did not have to resort to small continents or other too-watery script either! It will not be as difficult as my Byzantium or Denmark maps.

I am hoping DanQuayle will post his China map on or about August 1st. Absent compelling alternatives, I will offer my Ottoman map on or about August 15th.

@DanQuayle: Will you be posting a China map? (I also sent you a forum PM, but I know I pay more attention to subscribed threads more so than PMs.)

If we do not hear from DanQuayle, I will post my Ottoman map on sometime Friday, 8/5.

If people would like, I can post an Austria map I just submitted to HoF. I would make achievements based partly on my own game (Science victory), in which I only founded 1 city.
It would have map pack issues; I have 'complete' edition.

I do not mean to be ungrateful, but we already had an Austria map (CDG #8) which was really quite interesting (and also SV oriented). We have half the civs to chew through yet, if we manage to do so. Personally I would prefer not to be repeating civs, at least not yet.

If people would like, I can post an Austria map I just submitted to HoF. I would make achievements based partly on my own game (Science victory), in which I only founded 1 city.
How did that work for you?

Someone suggested a wide Rome Science game, I have thought of a few achievements.

A. Imperium Sine Fine : Found at least X cities :
  • 8 : 1 pt
  • 10 : 2 pts
  • 12 : 3 pts
B. Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum : take and keep X cities from the AI :
  • 2 : 1 pt
  • 4 : 2 pts
  • 6 : 3 pts
  • 8 : 4 pts
C. Roma Invicta : Get every building in the game in Rome (buildings with terrain requirements do not count, rush buying and free buildings are ok), 4 pts.
D. Pax Romana Aeternam : During the last 30 turns of your game be at peace for at least :
  • 15 turns : 1 pt
  • 20 turns : 2 pts
  • 25 turns : 3 pts
  • 30 turns : 4 pts
E. Senatus Populusque Romanum : At some point in the game, produce more than X beakers per turn :
  • 1000 : 1 pt
  • 1200 : 2 pts
  • 1400 : 3 pts
  • 1600 : 4 pts
  • 1800 : 5 pts

The map would be HB Pangaea and at this point I don't think I'd hand pick any AI players.

Someone suggested a wide Rome Science game, I have thought of a few achievements...The map would be HB Pangaea and at this point I don't think I'd hand pick any AI players.
That looks great! Thanks Max! Do you think you can have it posted by the end of this weekend?

I would suggest doubling the turns for the Pax Romana Aeternam points. I would also suggest hand picking opponents to ensure a good balance or fit some kind of rp theme.

That looks great! Thanks Max! Do you think you can have it posted by the end of this weekend?

Nope, sorry. And I'll be on vacation in september too so I'm planning this for october :)

I would suggest doubling the turns for the Pax Romana Aeternam points. I would also suggest hand picking opponents to ensure a good balance or fit some kind of rp theme.

I'm not sure about doubling the turns. Reserving the last 60 turns for this means you're basically cutting out the possibility of getting achievement B with RA, XCOM, whatever rush. But on the other hand it might be a good thing, that would make the achievements a bit harder... I'll think about it !

If you have suggestions for civs to put in, do not hesitate ! At some point I wanted to put a Delenda Carthago achievement but I let it out eventually. Putting Egypt into the game would probably give you an incentive to go to war mid game to collect wonders and Attila would probably make the REX more challenging while being a good target for early conquest and for RP synergy. Maybe a faraway Korea would be a good contestant for a late game science race because if your game goes well the end game will probably be a bit boring and easy otherwise.

Other than that I don't know, feel free to comment.

I can make maps if people need me to. My preference would be for something very hard, maybe Iroquois or Morocco or Japan

Or I could make the Rome map to match the achievements you guys are discussing?

I want to suggest we aim for the 8th and 22nd rather than the 1st and the 15th of the month. That complements the GotM schedule better (and we slipped a week anyway).

I can make maps if people need me to. My preference would be for something very hard, maybe Iroquois or Morocco or Japan.
Sounds good. What are your ideas for achievement points? Those seem to be the trickiest part of this series.

Or I could make the Rome map to match the achievements you guys are discussing?
Please leave that for Max.

Nope, sorry. And I'll be on vacation in september too so I'm planning this for October.
That should be fine actually. That would leave us with just a couple to fill in. But maybe early October, please?

I'm not sure about doubling the turns. Reserving the last 60 turns for this means you're basically cutting out the possibility of getting achievement B with RA, XCOM, whatever rush.
Fair enough. I was just looking at the point values and the relative difficulties. Thirty turns of peace at the end is cake. Taking eight cities is reasonably challenging. Hitting 1600 bpt is pretty tough!

But on the other hand it might be a good thing, that would make the achievements a bit harder... I'll think about it!
I like the range, and tension between the achievements!

At some point I wanted to put a Delenda Carthago achievement but I let it out eventually. Putting Egypt into the game would probably give you an incentive to go to war mid game to collect wonders and Attila would probably make the REX more challenging while being a good target for early conquest and for RP synergy. Maybe a faraway Korea would be a good contestant for a late game science race because if your game goes well the end game will probably be a bit boring and easy otherwise.
All that you mention sounds very interesting! Much better than random AIs! I always appreciate hating to see Alex in the game. The AI plays him well and the competition over CS is good, and he fits the theme well enough.

From what I can tell, the last tally was back in early May, page 14, post 262. Given the radio silence, I do not think it fair to hold people to earlier claims.

Links to the previous games:
CDG1: Persia, Oct 31st, 2015, domination, Pangea, hard, map by Consentient
CDG2: Assyria, Nov 15th, 2015, science, Pangea, medium, map by Consentient
CDG3: Ethiopia, Dec 2nd, 2015, culture, NQ Pangea, hard, map by Consentient
CDG4: Spain, Dec 17th, 2015, domination, NQ Pangea, medium, map by Consentient
CDG5: Indonesia, Jan 2nd, 2016, culture, NQ Continents, hard, map by Consentient
CDG6: Zulus, Jan 15th, 2016, domination, Oval, easy, map by Consentient
CDG7: Shoshone, Feb 2nd, 2016, culture, Oval, very easy, map Created by Enslingkorp
CDG8: Austria, Feb 15th, 2016, science, Pangea, very easy, map by IronfighterXXX
CDG9: Brazil, Feb 28th, 2016, culture, Pangea, medium, map by Blatc
CDG10: Denmark, March 14th, 2016, domination, Pangea, hard, map by Beetle
CDG11: Venice, April 1st, 2016, domination, Archipelago, very easy, map by Wild_Woojsha
CDG12: Byzantium, April 15th, 2016, domination, Terra Incognita, very hard, map by Beetle
CDG13: Inca, April 30th, 2016, culture, Pangaea, medium, map by Shark Diver
CDG14: Celts, May 18th, 2015, domination or culture, Oval, hard, map by Consentient
CDG15: America, May 30th, 2016, diplomacy, Mesopotamia, medium, map by Beetle
CDG16: Sweden, June 14th, 2016, domination or diplomacy, HB Continents, medium, map by Consentient
CDG17: Germany, July 2nd, 2016, diplomacy, Pangaea, easy, map by Dan Quayle
CDG18: France, July 14rd, 2016, diplomacy, HB Continents, hard, map by MaxAttack
CDG19: Ottomans, August 5th, 2016, domination, Continents, medium, map by Beetle

Games on deck:
CDG20: Portugal - Maria I - Beetle, August 20th
CDG21: ??? - ??? - ???, September 9th
CDG22: ??? - ??? - ???, September 23rd
CDG23: Rome - Augustus Caesar - MaxAttack, October 8th

Civs available to choose from:
Arabian - Harun al-Rashid
Aztec - Montezuma
Babylonian - Nebuchadnezzar II
Carthaginian - Dido
Chinese - Wu Zetian
Dutch - William
Egyptian - Ramesses II
English - Elizabeth
Greek - Alexander
Huns - Attila
Iroquois - Hiawatha
Indian - Gandhi
Japanese - Oda Nobunaga
Korean - Sejong
Mayan - Pacal
Mongolian - Genghis Khan
Moroccan - Ahmad al-Mansur
Polish - Casimir III
Polynesian - Kamehameha
Russian - Catherine
Siamese - Ramkhamhaeng
Songhai - Askia

I can only do the next one. After that I will be too busy. If you want me to to the next one, I can decide the acheivemnts

I can only do the next one. After that I will be too busy. If you want me to to the next one, I can decide the acheivemnts
Maybe come back to this thread in December or January then? (Assuming we can keep it going.) Whenever things are not too busy for you.

I am ready to go with Portugal. Also, our habit has been to hash out proposed achievements in advance, and I think that is a good practice to keep up.

Top Bottom