Celtic Cup

steviejay

Now in Black and White!!
Agreed 'in principle'. Nice

Celtic Cup from BBC

Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland have agreed "in principle" to play a series of three biennial "Celtic Cup" tournaments.
An agreement signed on Monday commits the countries to arranging the tournaments on a league basis.

Hmm, no England. Wonder why.....

But awesome none the less.

The Home Internationals, without worrying about the possibility of an English win ? :goodjob:

They should invite Brittany and Galicia. :)

Though I didn't know Scotts were celtic...

This is good. Glad England aren't in it. In the past Scotland and England were on a even playing field; since the 1980s, England are clearly better, so it would never be what it was. Plus, who wants a bunch of violent drunken English in Glasgow every few years.

My only worry is that the egos will get "injured" everytime the games come up. You can see Northern Ireland and Wales winning it all the time because of that.

They should invite Brittany and Galicia. :)

Though I didn't know Scotts were celtic...

Scottish Gaelic, the older language of the Scots, is a Celtic language. It's Galicia that isn't Celtic; I've no idea how that was ever manufactured. Today, I suppose there are no real Celtic countries, as Celtic languages are minority languages in all four major Celtic nations (Scotland, Ireland, Wales and Brittany). Brittany would be cool. Do they have any decent players? I know the Basque country occasionally play a few non-official internationals (they'd prolly be good enough to qualify for many tournaments in fact), so Brittany could be plausible.

Hey, this website tells all the results of non-Fifa international teams, usually non-sovereign nations, provinces or islands/island groups:

http://roonba.50webs.com/nonfifa.htm

It's sad to hear that the nation of Sardinia's only game was a 10-2 loss to England, while one of Corsica's only two games was a 2-0 defeat of France in France. ;)

The Basques are pretty good. Similar sized European nations should hope that Spain and France retain dominion over that nation, otherwise it'll become tougher still for us to qualify.

Unfortunately I don't think that Brittany would be invited. They're not big enough and the big wigs are probably thinking who would want to see a team like that.

It's the Celtic Cup in name only really. It's essentially the Home Nations but they wanted a name they could market and when England's not taking part (too scared? :p) the fact we're all 'kinda' related seemed like an avenue to consider

Well, Brittany counts 4.2 million people, it's comparable to the Republic of Ireland, so I don't believe it's not big enough. The thing though is that I highly doubt France would accept an unofficial Brittany team to compete, and the same would also be true about Galicia in Spain.

No, the idea of a Celtic Cup is very interesting for smaller British Isles nation. I guess the denomination was just chosen to avoid England being involved, which is understandable considering England isn't really of a similar size of the 4 other British Isles nations.

Hey, this website tells all the results of non-Fifa international teams, usually non-sovereign nations, provinces or islands/island groups:

http://roonba.50webs.com/nonfifa.htm

It's sad to hear that the nation of Sardinia's only game was a 10-2 loss to England, while one of Corsica's only two games was a 2-0 defeat of France in France. ;)

The Basques are pretty good. Similar sized European nations should hope that Spain and France retain dominion over that nation, otherwise it'll become tougher still for us to qualify.

Nice link :)

Spoiler :
24-03-2007 • Cornwall 1-1 Guernsey • South-West Counties Championship • in Cornwall
15-10-2005 • Cornwall 3-2 Jersey • South-West Counties Championship • in Cornwall
16-10-2004 • Jersey 1-4 Cornwall • South-West Counties Championship • in Jersey
11-10-2003 • Cornwall 1-0 Jersey • South-West Counties Championship • in Cornwall
26-10-2002 • Jersey 0-3 Cornwall • South-West Counties Championship • in Jersey
20-02-2000 • Cornwall 1-2 Guernsey • South-West Counties Championship • in Cornwall
21-11-1998 • Guernsey 1-6 Cornwall • South-West Counties Championship • in Guernsey
03-10-1953 • Cornwall 1-1 Trinidad & Tobago • Friendly • in Cornwall
30-09-1953 • Cornwall 2-4 Trinidad & Tobago • Friendly • in Cornwall
26-09-1953 • Cornwall 3-6 Trinidad & Tobago • Friendly • in Cornwall

Why did they play against Trinidad & Tobago in the '50ies?

if you're talking about football, there's a brittany team:

Brittany national team on wikipedia
Wikipedia sometimes cracks me up. It's funny to call it a national team, it's more a regional team to me. :)

Anyway, as a matter of fact I do believe Brittany would perform decently in such a Cup against Wales or Northern Ireland. One must known that Brittany has never been defeated in its football history. :smug:

I don't think England have ruled themselves out and i think now is probably a good time for England to enter such a tournment as the results are not guarrentee and they won't take any of the teams lighty, since alot of the Welsh, and Irish players play in England and we have been put, righty, in our place after this year. Plus, it would have a derby type feeling to it, so it would be the talk of the day on the monday afterwards

Bragging rights, since it is effectively several derby matches! :D

Its a pity England arent in but for competitions ake its probably a good thing. Frankly, it if had been held last year, Scotland and Northern Ireland would have steamrolled us and Wales

Top Bottom