Chinese, cultural impact on the western world

The Cultural Revolution was a very special case. It was civil-war like situation where red guards tried to out-left each other, so I wouldn't say that things were outlawed in this time because the communist didn't like them ."The communists" were pretty much divided into belligerent splinter groups and there were no laws that applied in the whole country.
What I meant is that chinese never really practiced feng shui in their living space the way some westerners think they do, as I understand they have a more pragmatic attitude towards religious practices than most other cultures.
But all my knowledge about China is acquired from books and lectures as I haven't been there yet (I am planning to live there from late 2011-2012 though), so it would be good if a chinese person could enlighten us about that matter.

All I know about "original" feng shui is that your doorway can't be too high, or it will provide access to hopping soul-drinking vampire zombies. That kind of suggested to me that there was some dissonance between the two forms.

All I know about "original" feng shui is that your doorway can't be too high, or it will provide access to hopping soul-drinking vampire zombies. That kind of suggested to me that there was some dissonance between the two forms.

That's the mythological reason. The practical reason is probably rodents.

In all probability a chinese cultural imperialism would be preferable to an american one. For starters China has a long history, it is not a former colony and a quasi-culture.
To quote Oscar Wilde, America went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between ;)

I do not see anything interesting comming out the the Usa. Coca-cola movies, books, culture. I am a bit negative, but i suspect that China will at some point export its high-culture, and hopefully it reaches Europe, where it amalgamates with the higher european elements.

It is not out of chance that the America of the east, Japan, is currently the major asian culture exporter. Another country with zero history before the medieval times, an insignificant island, that became a major power in the end of the 19th century, pretty much like the Usa. But such cultures do not have anything to offer in my opinnion.

The new rennaissance of the world cannot come from the big players of the last hunded years, who have nothing to offer. Just like the renaissance of Europe couldnt come out of an exportation of french or english culture, but came from Greek and Roman one.

The US is a quasi culture? What do you even mean by that?

that, with an age well below 2000 years, it is way too young to be considered a fully developed culture.

metal music for instance, especially "therapy?", is pretty uncultured crap too.

that, with an age well below 2000 years, it is way too young to be considered a fully developed culture.

But it has a right to be "uncultured". Culture is not just what appeals to the elite or the intellectual, it is what appeals to the masses.

What does the pejorative misuse of terminology in reference to a Northern Irish band have to do the question of whether or not American culture can be considered "fully developed"? (Whatever that's even supposed to mean.)

It may also be because most Hiberno-British cuisine is pretty crude even by European standards. Most elaborate we get is putting unspeakable bits of an animal inside other unspeakable bits of an animal and then boiling it. :p

I don't even know what Irish cuisine is. I went to the wiki page and theres a picture of a pint with some brown bread and butter. Pretty much sums it up.

I don't even know what Irish cuisine is. I went to the wiki page and theres a picture of a pint with some brown bread and butter. Pretty much sums it up.

Even 1-3 generations removed from Ireland, none of the women (or men) on the Irish side of my family can cook. I'm beginning to think Ireland's poor culinary tradition may be genetic.

Moderator Action: Do not attempt to evade the autocensor.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

My mother is Irish. And she can cook pretty much anything she sets he mind to. Though most of the time it is simple stuff.

Right, because its not like American culture is derived directly from the European culture of the peoples that make up the majority of our population :crazyeye:

Glad you can admit Europe has had 0 impact whatsoever on the greatest nation on the planet :D

Top Bottom