Citrus: It's all so clear now (my deduction).

This would be a really cool mechanic. I hope they thought of it, and if not, that they patch something like that in. It would be neat for non-strategic resources to add a little more to an empire.

I agree. In this concept also Amber (Luxury/Science) would fit perfectly, imo.

New Luxury Resource:

Amber
See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amber_Road

Yields: +2 Gold, After the discovery of Biology every Amber tile also gives +1 Science.

Improved by: Mine

Terrains Found On: Found on tiles adjacent to ocean.

Historical Info: "Amber is fossilized tree resin (not sap), which has been appreciated for its color and natural beauty since Neolithic times. Amber is used as an ingredient in perfumes, as a healing agent in folk medicine, and as jewelry. There are five classes of amber, defined on the basis of their chemical constituents. Because it originates as a soft, sticky tree resin, amber sometimes contains animal and plant material as inclusions. Amber occurring in coal seams is also called resinite, and the term ambrite is applied to that found specifically within New Zealand coal seams.

Amber was an important medium of exchange in the Stone Age. In some Central European countries it is customary for children to buy a teething amber beads. Amber reduce the old legend of the teething pains. In 2007, the Harvard researcher Santiago Ramirez a team of researchers discovered the waters of the Dominican Republic amber, which was the remnants of 15-20 million years ago to orchids. Discovery gave the researchers a new understanding about orchid history.
"

I suspect it's just a regular bonus resource with the tile's ouput modified by buildings and/or beliefs.

That looks a ton like citrus, though the stats look way too high for an improved resource. 7 gold and 4 food? Hell, the Great merchant is +4 G from memory (unimproved naturally)

I'm fairly certain it's 2 gold - if you watch the toolip during the rest of the video, unimproved hills look like they have 7 production, but of course they only have 2.

I was looking at this resource last sunday when the video released and my assessment on the tile yeild is in that thread.

But i'll post it here too:
Plantation Resource, Citrus, built off Forests (possibly Grassland)
Resource provides +1:c5food:, +1:c5gold: to any tile it spawns on, and an additional +1:c5food:, +1:c5gold: after being worked.

Tile yield without improvements
Forest: 2:c5food:, 1:c5production: 1:c5gold:
Grassland: 3:c5food:, 1:c5gold:

Improved:
Forest: 3:c5food:, 1:c5production: 2:c5gold:
Grassland: 4:c5food:, 2:c5gold:

The interesting thing i noticed was that the Plantation didn't seem to destroy the forest, which means it will become a +1 food tile off forests, and still maintain at least 1 production.

Looks like a alternate/new graphic for a banana resource or something like it. Surely it's not a strategic resource and surely citrus is not going to be a strategic resource.

The wild speculation and crazy ideas people come up with and discuss over the slightest blurry screenshot or tidbit of info for this game is entertaining. If I was involved in developing this game I'd "leak" some fake screenshots/info just to watch the 20 page threads of misinterpretation generate.

It's not an alternative graphic or else they wouldn't have given it a new name.

The only real reason for speculation that it might have some special quality, it seems to me, is why they would choose a curious name like "Citrus" instead of "Oranges" or "Lemons." And they did have a scurvy mechanic in a previous scenario, and if I remember correctly, they called the resource "citrus."

Its worked by a Plantation, as can be seen in the demo from PAX, and is therefore most likely going to be a luxury resource - not strategic. This is something being added probably to include more happiness resources for civ's like Nederlands who'll benefit from more luxuries resources.

The name of arbitrary, but was probably picked as a means of encompassing all types of fruit that fall under the same classification as 'Citrus'.

Its worked by a Plantation, as can be seen in the demo from PAX, and is therefore most likely going to be a luxury resource - not strategic. This is something being added probably to include more happiness resources for civ's like Nederlands who'll benefit from more luxuries resources.

Don't tooltips list the happiness for luxuries? I know they do for the hover tooltip, but I play with the bottom right tooltips turned off, so I'm not sure if it shows up there.

Well, we can see it's not a Strategic Resource because there aren't any new icons on the UI. But you only need a Strategic Resource for something where individual units are allocated (as with Iron); other resources like Cows or Marble can impact game systems (like providing extra production for certain buildables in nearby cities) without being Strategic Resources.

It also can be Cacoa. Chocolate is at least just as an interresting trade as coffee would be.
Maybe it would be a special Luxury, made by CS???

If it were Cocoa, I could see that as a Luxury, but citrus would just be a bonus resource, IMO. It could still give a +1 to naval movement like how marble give +15% to wonder production in the city that works it. It doesn't matter what type of resource it is for that effect.

I like the idea of a scurvy mechanic, myself. In the scenario, how it worked was to cause you to lose 1 hp whenever your naval unit was outside friendly territory. Better than the strategic resource, in my opinion. I hope it's not another +1 naval movement, as there's lots of those already and they just don't seem that worth it. Although the increase in unit hitpoints is going to greatly change naval combat from the current "I-see-you-first" wins game.

IF the scurvy mechanic or something similar were to be used, it would mesh perfectly with Great Admirals. You can't cross the ocean easily without citrus... or unless you got Columbus to help heal your ships along the way. As Admirals are, they're not that exciting. But if they can combat scurvy? Heck yeah. I'll happily take one early.

That certainly looks like a patch of citrus trees in my eyes.

Citrus tree

Coffee beans

The resource pic must be citrus in this case.

Top Bottom