Citrus: It's all so clear now (my deduction).

Its worked by a Plantation, as can be seen in the demo from PAX, and is therefore most likely going to be a luxury resource - not strategic.

Aren't bananas worked by plantations?

I agree. Although deer are worked by camps and so is ivory. Stone and Marble are worked by Quarries. They might decide to have Plantations for a strategic resource.

Although I highly doubt citrus is a strategic resource. I just want to point out that just because something has been done that way in the past doesn't mean they won't change it.

With all those bonuses from new resources and religion, what would be the balancing act? More unhappiness for cities?

With all those bonuses from new resources and religion, what would be the balancing act? More unhappiness for cities?

There's no need to increase the Unhappiness per city . The balancing act will probably be the increase of faith points necessary to spawn Great Prophets,which will make that the Tall empires have more chance to get a religion than Wide empires .

There's no need to increase the Unhappiness per city . The balancing act will probably be the increase of faith points necessary to spawn Great Prophets,which will make that the Tall empires have more chance to get a religion than Wide empires .

With the way the AI acquires happiness, it won't hurt the devs to give us a few more happiness points to spread around, within reasonable balance. Really the AI has a huge advantage in that department. I am not sure if that has been reworked as far as the AI goes. I feel it should be to reduce AI city spamming, or at least make it so the AI picks better city locations.

They can't be strategic resources, because there is no quantity given in the image (as there is for strategic resources). They must either be bonus resources, or as seems more likely, luxuries.

As an idea, I think it'd be quite neat to have them as a strategic resource.

During the age of exploration scurvy was a big problem for European sailors trying to cross the great oceans of the world.

Only when the great British doctor James Lind discovered that citrus fruits were an effecient remedy for the disease, did the scurvy epidemic end:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/historic_figures/lind_james.shtml

It therefore make perfect sense to have citrus as a prerequisite resource for "blue water" navies :)

Which is where the Brits got their nickname 'limeys'.

With new hapiness bonuses from religion, espionage and mercentile CS, I think the new resources will be bonus resources.

Bonus resource, cant really see a reason why people would be more happy to have access to citrus than to, for example meat or bread....

Lemons were a luxury resource in late antiquity by the romans IIRC. Used them for exotic perfumes more than cooking.

I seriously doubt Citrus is going to be a new luxury resource. To me it seems more logical that it's a bonus resource like Bananas and all the other food-based resources

if you look at the starting location you will see that there appears to be only one luxury resources from the base game (which I think is pearls, though it is a bit hard to tell) and while some starts will only give you one luxury resource it is far more common for the game to give you two luxury resources which leads me to believe that Citrus could quite possibly be a new luxury resource!

Top Bottom