City state permanent war

Ahriman

Tyrant
In my current game as Greeks I've been frustrated several times by some city states that insist on getting into permanent wars with other powers.
Unless I totally conquer the other powers (which I don't want to do, I want a small empire to get my cultural win, and puppets mess up my economy with maintenance costs) or donate a huge army to the city-state, or permanently camp my army around them, it seems hard to stop them from getting conquered.

Has anyone figured out what exactly causes a city state to enter permanent war, and is there any way to stop them from doing so (or to end the permanent war)?

Its suicidal when they refuse to make peace with a civ who is crushing them, and with permanent war I can't even make that civ have peace with them.

I don't know, I am the Romans so they declared permanent war on me after I killed about 5 of them.

If you really want allied city states you should let them get conquered and then liberate them.

I did... I liberated Warsaw, but it was locked in Permanent War with the Babylonians who had conquered them. I made peace with Bablyon, but Warsaw refused to do so and got reconquered.

Being conquered/liberated does not clear a city-state's permanent war??? Bummer.. I have a maritime city state thats in permawar with a Civ I don't feel like fighting and I was hoping that this would work

Someone should mod out permawar ASAP, it's stupid.

Wish there was some way of preventing this. Permanent war is the most annoying thing in the game..

Declaring war twice on the same city-state will give permanent war.

This means you should delay bribing AIs to peace with city-states as long as possible, to delay the re-declaration.

Permawar is stupid. Why did they include it? City states don't stand a chance against a civ if its already hoovered up enough of the other city states to trigger permawar.

I've lost (well quit) a game due to getting involved in a one of these scraps. Should have just let Japan have the stupid idiots.

Also how about letting them reset their missions every 30 turns or so? Please? I don't want to destroy Copenhagen!

Hmmmm. Good point but its got more weak points IMO than the strength of this point, ie their total annihilation.

Top Bottom