Civ4 PitBoss Available

Edgar_Newt said:
I see that the PittBoss set up screens ask for Player 0. What does that mean? If I want to set up a game for 5 human players -- do I set it up players 0 through 4 or 1 through 5?

Just a little confused.

0-4 will give you 5 player slots.

CS

does anybody know what port number pitboss uses, and is it a tcp or udp port ?
so i can get access thru a firewall/router

Some more:

network address box is not big enough for some addresses - we have a game going that is xxxxxxxxx.redirectme.net and it won't allow an entry for that size. The best solution would be to make the address box unlimited - no reason to have it limited anyway.

Also would be useful if it could remember the addresses of the last addresses gone to - either by drop down (quick and dirty) or ability for an address/favourites selection.

I still believe the ability to change the turn timer at least is vital

Ability to see which players have submitted on the server screen.

Ability to see when players were last on - useful for tracking if a player is no longer particpating and therefore holding the game up

Question:

If you quit a Pitboss game and let the AI take control of your civ, can you come back some time later and take control back from the AI with your old password?
Or does quiting a game mean that someone else can take control of your civ?

Let's say I'm on vacation for a week and know I can't do my turns manually during that time. In this situation I would set both a technology and a build queue and automate my workers. I also want to be able to let the AI take control of all my units that are not fortifyed in a city. Then when I come back I just take a manual control of all my units and other things. Is this possible in the current Pitboss system?

Not possible in as far as I can see - you would just have to trust that your fellow players left the turns alone - albeit IMHO it is a good suggestion.

Tals

ensignyu said:
Also, another nice thing (non-PB) would be the ability to launch Civ4 and auto-connect to an IP+port. Preferably by a command-line switch or something.

I very much would like this option. The ideal solution would be something like a .Civ4Connect file that has the server address and port in it (a simple .ini style file like .url files in windows) which if opened would either launch civ4 and skip the splash screens, moving straight to loading the game, OR if civ4 is running, offer to save any game in progress and after saving load the game pointed to in the .Civ4Connect file.

I try to get a few things done on my computer then reward my self with a Civ turn, so I enter and exit Civ a lot during the day. Some method to quickly open a game would be nice.

I play mulitple MP games, so a command line would be a very nice option.

Tals

While ghastly off topic a command line/shortcut for autoloading a mod would be nice too ;).

Also if not mentioned the ability for pitboss to start a modded game.

And will pitboss source come in the sdk?

Dandridge said:
Question:

If you quit a Pitboss game and let the AI take control of your civ, can you come back some time later and take control back from the AI with your old password?
Or does quiting a game mean that someone else can take control of your civ?

Let's say I'm on vacation for a week and know I can't do my turns manually during that time. In this situation I would set both a technology and a build queue and automate my workers. I also want to be able to let the AI take control of all my units that are not fortifyed in a city. Then when I come back I just take a manual control of all my units and other things. Is this possible in the current Pitboss system?

You can retire and let the AI take complete control, in which case anyone can take your civ as there will be no pw, or you can leave your civ with city and tech build queues and automate your workers and units, and hope you don't get attacked :p

CS

Forgive me if this hasn't been answered. But the turn options (sorry at work)... there is Simultaneous Turns and... what was the other one?

Could someone (probably Mr. PTBS Tals himself :p ) define these?

I read somewhere earlier on that the game halts on a player not logging in? Was this just some error of judgement?

Great_Scott said:
Forgive me if this hasn't been answered. But the turn options (sorry at work)... there is Simultaneous Turns and... what was the other one?

Could someone (probably Mr. PTBS Tals himself :p ) define these?

I read somewhere earlier on that the game halts on a player not logging in? Was this just some error of judgement?

lol i'm not Mr PTBS - just been looking forward to this aspect of Civ 4 a lot - almost didn't buy Civ 4 on the basis of its non showing at release.

Anyway onto the question. The normal way of playing in a Civ 4 game is sequential play - PTBS and MP give you Simulateneous play which makes the game turns far quicker - you're just held up by the slowest player you don't have to wait for each player to do his turn ala pbem play.

Not read that re player not logging in - are you able to point to the post?

Tals

tals said:
lol i'm not Mr PTBS - just been looking forward to this aspect of Civ 4 a lot - almost didn't buy Civ 4 on the basis of its non showing at release.

Anyway onto the question. The normal way of playing in a Civ 4 game is sequential play - PTBS and MP give you Simulateneous play which makes the game turns far quicker - you're just held up by the slowest player you don't have to wait for each player to do his turn ala pbem play.

Tals

Well "normal" is a matter of perpective :p As to the game halting, that would only happen if the host didn't set a turn limit, with a turn limit the game will always continue.

CS

tals said:
2056 - not sure whether tcp or udp so did it for both.

Tals

Pitboss uses the same ini setting as the normal game, and it's UDP, but considering how some routers can be problematic it doesn't hurt to open TCP as well.

CS

I have a 2 player pitboss server running right now on a p2 400mhz. Processor usage is steady at around 65-70% with no one connected. When some one connects is spike to 100% for about a have a second when the turn ends.

So far it is working very well. I have it set to no turn limit since there is only two of us. We have each done a few turns and it seems to be working very well.

Correct me if I am wrong but if a third person takes over a computer player is works fine. But when that person lets the computer seems to take back over. Hence it is not waiting for that person to do their turns. Am I wrong?

I noticed I can' type any thing in the message of the day, so maybe that is a bug?

cmonster said:
I have a 2 player pitboss server running right now on a p2 400mhz. Processor usage is steady at around 65-70% with no one connected. When some one connects is spike to 100% for about a have a second when the turn ends.

So far it is working very well. I have it set to no turn limit since there is only two of us. We have each done a few turns and it seems to be working very well.

Correct me if I am wrong but if a third person takes over a computer player is works fine. But when that person lets the computer seems to take back over. Hence it is not waiting for that person to do their turns. Am I wrong?

I noticed I can' type any thing in the message of the day, so maybe that is a bug?

1. If you set the game to AI take over then yes that is the way it is suppose to work.

2. What haven't you been able to type in the MOTD? I've not had a problem with any of my messages.

CS

Tals said:

Tals

Exavier said:
1) yes they have to play in order and remember to hit the End Turn Button.
2) I'd like to know too
3) same as 2 :p

This guy... but I believe it was incorrect. And thanks very much for the info. Say, you have a look at Enhanced? It will be on the PTBS Simultanous Turns format.

CanuckSoldier said:
1. If you set the game to AI take over then yes that is the way it is suppose to work.

2. What haven't you been able to type in the MOTD? I've not had a problem with any of my messages.

CS

I just put the information about the processor so people my have a bench mark with an older machine. I can't type any thing in the message box. Just won't let me, try typing and nothing happens (yes the cursor is in the text area).

Oh by the way I think this pitboss server is a great addition to the game, thank Firaxis.

You have to click on the Change MOTD button, it'll pop up a dialogue that allows you to type in a new MOTD.

Picturtle said:
You have to click on the Change MOTD button, it'll pop up a dialogue that allows you to type in a new MOTD.

Sorry I've played with pitboss to long to realize that that is not obvoius to many.

CS

Top Bottom