Civilization 5 - Some unit infos from the strategy guide

ltarmstrong3

Chieftain
I'm also interested to know how some of these UU bonuses work. For instance, the Aztec Jags get the jungle attack bonus not unlike CIV4. However, in CIV4 this "bonus" was actually a free promo that carried forward with upgrades. Jungle attack is fairly weak IMO. At least in CIV4 the promo included forests as well.

What will units like a Crossbow upgrade to next? Does it remain a ranged unit at the next level?

Crossbowman uprgrade path as follows:

Crossbowman---Rifleman---Infantry---Mechanized Infantry

so no ranged unit upgrades anwhere up to path for crossbowman.

I think your best strategy for late game highly promoted ranged untits lie with only the Siege Units, thier upgrade path is as follow:

Catapult---Trebuchet---Cannon---Artillery---Rocket Artillery

Sorry if it has already been revealed but what's the info on naval transport? Speed of units at sea? (+ does England get its bonus movement on them too?)

there is no naval Transport unit, all land unit now embark on thier own without the need for a transport.

Speed of units at sea are as follows:

Galley-3
Trireme-4
Caravel-6
Frigate-5
Ship of the Line-5
Battleship-5
Carrier-6
Destoyer-8
Ironclad-4
Submarine-5
Missle Cruiser-8
Nuclear Submarine-7

Englands Passive Benifit of The Sun Never Sets gives +2 movement for all naval units and their special unit Ship of the Line gives them 1 extra sight

Regarding Promotions:

How to Gain Experience:
Attack as a melee unit +5xp
Defend against a melee Unit +4xp
Attack as a ranged unit +2xp
Be attacked by a ranged unit +2xp
Be trained in a city with Barracks/Armory/Milt Academy +15xp/+15xp/+15xp

It would be bizarre if the paper maker didn't replace the library. Biiig balance problem.

Krepost is very strong.
Sounds like the cossack should be paired with archers, which is a bit weird.

Can we confirm: do both legion and ballista require iron?
Does the Mech inf require aluminium or not?

YES, both Legion and Ballista require Iron
Mechanized Infantry appears to have NO required resource

So how fast do embarked units move across the sea?? The English +2 would be quite significant if applied to a normal embarked movement of 2 or 3.

So how fast do embarked units move across the sea?? The English +2 would be quite significant if applied to a normal embarked movement of 2 or 3.

It applies.

The guide says NEVER let England get the Great Lighthouse

It applies.

The guide says NEVER let England get the Great Lighthouse

Cool :cool: - Britannia really will rule the waves in Civ V (been waiting all these years for a Civ game that gives England it's rightful ability) - any idea though what speed a unit moves across the sea though? Is it the same speed as it would move across land? Or is it a uniform speed, for all units?

Crikey - yes, England with the Great Lighthouse... wow. And those vessels after some promotions too... ye Gods, the Royal Navy is going to be supreme on the Civilization High Seas! :D

Cool :cool: - Britannia really will rule the waves in Civ V (been waiting all these years for a Civ game that gives England it's rightful ability) - any idea though what speed a unit moves across the sea though? Is it the same speed as it would move across land? Or is it a uniform speed, for all units?

I can't seem to find the movement speed of transports....maybe 2?

I can't seem to find the movement speed of transports....maybe 2?

IMHO, it scales up with era. 2 for classical, 3 for medieval, 4 for renaissance, 5 for industrial, 6 for modern, 7 for future

Scales up roughly with the slowest naval unit of each era this way.

Does it have the unit art for ancient/classical barb units? Do they look cool?

No art for the Barbarian Brute in the unit decription or any real unit art for any units in the guide only the various screen caps throughout, i guess since they are portrayed as a larger unit with many undividuals it wouldn't display well in the manual, all you get it an art deco icon. I will miss the manipulatable 3d representation of the current up unit in CIV IV unit description field.

If Firaxis had balls they'd have doubled down and made England's ability "Rum, Sodomy and the Lash"

:lol: To be honest I wish they'd called it "Britannia Rules The Waves". But that would infer a British civ/nation rather than the English civ/nation in the game.

Top Bottom