Resource icon

[BNW] Civilization guide: Morocco (BNW)

Nice article!

Do Hotels and Airports give tourism from Kasbah? Is there any way to get culture from desert tiles (or Kasbah specifically)?

I see that your screen shots have Kasbah on floodplains. Is this optimal, or are you just showing the effect? My understanding is that farms are better. The conventional wisdom seems to be that, absent Petra, Kasbah as a working tile is really only useful on dry desert hills. Do you agree with that assessment?

I'm not aware of anything giving culture to the Kasbah. Without anything giving it culture, there's no culture for hotels/airports to convert to tourism.

There's no generic culture giving item to desert, however Incense sometimes appears on desert, and so Goddess of Festivals / Monstary would cause culture to appear there. Similar for Silver/Gold on Desert with Religious Idols.

I can't see Kasbah being optimal on flood plains.
I would note that after everything else has been worked that with either Desert Faith or Petra that even flat desert tiles would be worth placing a Kasbah on.

I really appreciate the well written guides you have provided, this one included. I will say that I'm a little annoyed: every time I read one of your guides I have to go try that civ. Now my kids will go without dinner or clean clothes. "Daddy has to conquer the Inca, guys!"

Appreciate the info on Berber cav. I didn't realize how powerful they could be (60 combat strength when at home and standing on desert is outstanding). I also hadn't payed attention to the math, but my first two or three trade routes from a generic civ typically net me about 4 gpt. On deity/immortal, I am typically looking for science anyway, so it's well worth it. However, sending early trade routes for nearly double the income is incredible when you have an eye toward rushing four cities and the NC. The bottleneck for me is always the last two libraries. I can save for one usually, but it means that I then have to decide between delaying a fourth city (and watching the Iroquois settle the spot) or putting in a fourth city and making my peace with the fact that the NC will have to wait an extra 20 turns or so. With early trade routes running at +3 gpt, you really only need one other source of income (a horse or iron deal with the AI for instance), and rush buying the final two libraries is not a problem.

Well, time to go load up deity Morocco and give it a whirl. I'll do the taxes later. :)

I really appreciate the well written guides you have provided, this one included. I will say that I'm a little annoyed: every time I read one of your guides I have to go try that civ. Now my kids will go without dinner or clean clothes. "Daddy has to conquer the Inca, guys!"

Appreciate the info on Berber cav. I didn't realize how powerful they could be (60 combat strength when at home and standing on desert is outstanding). I also hadn't payed attention to the math, but my first two or three trade routes from a generic civ typically net me about 4 gpt. On deity/immortal, I am typically looking for science anyway, so it's well worth it. However, sending early trade routes for nearly double the income is incredible when you have an eye toward rushing four cities and the NC. The bottleneck for me is always the last two libraries. I can save for one usually, but it means that I then have to decide between delaying a fourth city (and watching the Iroquois settle the spot) or putting in a fourth city and making my peace with the fact that the NC will have to wait an extra 20 turns or so. With early trade routes running at +3 gpt, you really only need one other source of income (a horse or iron deal with the AI for instance), and rush buying the final two libraries is not a problem.

Well, time to go load up deity Morocco and give it a whirl. I'll do the taxes later. :)

Just hope you don't start next to Hiawatha AND Montezuma. Don't even bother building settlers at that point...

And if I recall correctly, the Berber bonus applies to friendly territory, which means that high strength can also be achieved while in foreign friendly territory. So you can use Berber offensively by stationing them in a CS or civ that you are friendly with, and which is also in desert and possibly pick off a few enemy units before moving into enemy territory. It's very situational, but possible.

Top Bottom