***Civilopedia Icon/Text Request Thread***

neorowen

The Newest of the Rowens
It seems we need a thread for civilopedia data and icons, so here it is... (hopefully someday it spawn a civilopedia library)

Please only post requests or icons/text files (preferably compressed) in this thread!

Posts with files should use the little paper icon so they can be easily identified. Please post requests in an easily understood format, so people know exactly what you are requesting and would like as a result.

Enjoy

O.k. I do have a request so I might as well start it off...

Request: Icons for martial arts civ advance.

Desc: In my mod Martial arts will come from chivalry and education. It will also be a required for military tradition and allow minor unit upgrades (Samuria becomes ronin, things like that)

in my discworld mod i need loads of civilopedia entrys.

Wizard
Priest
Prophet
City Watch
Trojan Horse
Plumed Archer
Aztec Monk
Eagle Warrior
Camel
Mameluke
Dragons
Elephant Archer
Witch
Dwarf
Troll
Wood Working
Worship Code
Magical Code

Requests (techs pix, large + small):

Coastal Warfare - start of middle age, gives Galleass ship

Trench Warfare - Industrial Age (WWI), allows fortress building

Gravity Engine/Propulsion - late Modern Age, would allow Piernik's Gravity Armour

Ordnance - Industrial Age (WWI), allows Krupps Howitzer

Nerve Gas - Industrial Age (WWI)

Civilopedia entries for my ACW scenario, there are quite a few which need to be done, I'll post them later.

Originally posted by ozymandias
A mosque.

-Oz

OK I am not sure it is the best of quality or what you want but here is a shot copied from the Mosque of Qum.

Please tell me if that if you have something different in mind or if it does not work.

Originally posted by LouLong

OK I am not sure it is the best of quality or what you want but here is a shot copied from the Mosque of Qum.

Please tell me if that if you have something different in mind or if it does not work.

Let me be brief and concise --

HURRAY!!! THANK YOU!!!

Seriously, it's perfect. Now I feel obliged to start some semi-official 30 day countdown to the mod it's needed for...

:goodjob:

You rule.

-Oz

Maybe u don't have to count....
I think I have a good use for the Mosque in my " History of the Known World" series of scenarios...(1st. Installement ETA: 6 mnths)

Lou Long with your permission I'd like to use it, with all due credit, of course.

Originally posted by Memnojokasel
Maybe u don't have to count....

Or can't count :crazyeye: ... The allegedly real world and the unknowns of the extremes I'm trying to mod Civ to seem to conspire together to keep this a lengthy process ... *sigh*

-Oz

Wheat has played an important role in the temperate zones of the planet since pre-historic times, as the civilopedia rightly states. However, much more important for probably much more people is rice. Sid and his friends have gone to great lengths to drop their American perspective, but there really is no excuse why rice should be absent from the game.
I have added it as a bonus resource, much like wheat, but also enhancing shield production. The reason for this hopefully becomes clear in this pedia entry:

Rice has been the main food source for half of the world's population since pre-historic times. It is also an ingredient of certain types of beer, and is used in the manufacture of such products as paper and glue. According to Shinto belief, the Emperor of Japan is the living embodiment of Ninigo-no-mikoto, the god of the ripened rice plant. While most modern Japanese may intellectually dismiss this supernatural role, they cannot deny the enormous cultural importance of rice on life in their country - and so it is in much of the world. An Indonesian legend sais that rice was a gift from the Lord Vishnu, but Chinese folklore speaks of a dog coming across a field, that had bunches of the long, yellow seeds hanging on its tail. Modern research suggests that domestication of the plant first occured in the hills of northern Thailand, where small rivers provided a reliable water supply, but archeologists have also found evidence that rice was an important food in the Yangtze Basin in the late Neolithic period.
<end pedia text>

Attached is a picture of a grain of rice as it can be found in grassland, floodplains and hills. It does look a bit like an ordinary bonus grassland tile (compare the tiles to the upperleft), but I haven't found a clear pictogram of the whole plant. Anybody?

Edit: Yes, at http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?postid=983589#post983589

Attachments

• rice1.jpg
    rice1.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 1,937
Has anyone made the civilopedia icons for the Dora Rail Gun and Coracle units yet? None with the units, and I didn't see them posted elsewhere in the unit threads.

Originally posted by Ivan the Kulak
Has anyone made the civilopedia icons for the Dora Rail Gun and Coracle units yet? None with the units, and I didn't see them posted elsewhere in the unit threads.

The problem is that the coracle unit doesn't look anything like a coracle. Here's the unit, which looks like an Egyptian reed boat:

And here's what an actual coracle looks like:

Coracles are, by definition, round boats.

Yes, I know. But you can't haul much around in an actual coracle - my regiment of spearmen would have to dangle their feet off the sides and help row with their spears :) So, I use the "coracle" unit as my first early transport, as it looks better than the canoe for this. A better name for it would have been "skiff" or "flatboat".

IIRC the label "coracle" for this unit was a nearly random selection among many imprecise terms for early ships (cogs, hulks, etc.)

If you really want to get down to "brass tacks and carpet nails", check out:

"HISTORY AND ARCHAEOLOGY OF THE SHIP - Lecture Notes"

-Oz

The only mention made of Coracle on that site is this:

"The skin boat, which floats by displacement and consists of skins or other material sewn over a skeleton framework of wood or bone. Skin boats, like rafts, are also familiar in their various forms and may still be found in use today, for example, the Eskimo Kayak and Umiak, the Irish Curragh (1067) (1037) and the Welsh Coracle. Because of their light build ancient skin boats tend not to survive as archaeological finds, but they are an obvious and relatively easy to build form of boat which would be well suited to the needs of primitive hunting societies which either do not have access to suitable timber for wooden boats, or lack the tools necessary to cut and work large timbers. The use of skin as an outer covering requires a fairly complex internal frame which may be fabricated from saplings or from bone and tied with withies. The light build and flexible nature of the skin boat make it more suitable for use in lakes and rivers because violent wave motion could cause the skins to concertina and tear with disastrous results for the occupants. For this reason skin boats have been thought to be unsuitable for open sea passages."

According to them it the name refers to a Welsh round-boat, not a class of boats or the like. And if you look on Google Images for coracle, well, just go look. Its all round boats.

Originally posted by Ivan the Kulak
Yes, I know. But you can't haul much around in an actual coracle - my regiment of spearmen would have to dangle their feet off the sides and help row with their spears :) So, I use the "coracle" unit as my first early transport, as it looks better than the canoe for this. A better name for it would have been "skiff" or "flatboat".

You could always use this:

Dunno what its called - its some sort of Incan vessel. But the Egyptians had things alot like it. They're made out of reeds and technically, they are just rafts - but you could call it a reed-boat or reed-ship or something.

Hey would anyone be intrested in completly adding all the pedia items for the units of this forum.....i'm just starting and by the end of the summer i believe i could maybe have 100 or so done....better than nothing........and what i want is to have all civilopedia, unit icons, and picture perfect unit_32.pcx.....Just give me a PM

Ordnance - Industrial Age (WWI), allows Krupps Howitzer

I am working on a tech icon for ordnance. Having a bit of trouble with getting it to glow like the stock civ3 icons, but here's a preview (tell me if I'm on the right track - and never mind the jpeg artifacts) :

Attachments

• large.jpg
    large.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 1,496
Top Bottom