Conquest of Gaul Mod: First Version

elfstorm

Warlord
I thought it was about time I made a proper Mod, instead of just cheating and stuff.

The "Conquest of Gaul" is obviously based on Julius Ceasars invasion circa 58-50 BC.

The mod is in a very early stage of development but I've posted it here because I'm kinda hoping I'll get some help.

So far I've only made a few minor changes. The biggest being a couple of new units including the "Legion" a Roman unique unit which functions like an army.

Any suggestions you have concerning gameplay, Gallic tribes which could be used as Civs, new units etc. please let me know.

My plan is to eventually have all the Civs replaced by Gallic, German or British tribes (except the Romans obviously).

***although I was toying with the idea of broadening things slightly and including Pompey, Cleopatra etc and making a general Ceasar mod... what do you think?***

Attachments

• conquestofgaul.zip
    158.7 KB · Views: 368
I like the idea of a gaul mod very much. It is one thing you can do well with the "start with an empty map" mode of civ III. If you like I could do a map for this mod. It probably should include a part of northern Italy (gallia cisalpina), Gaul, partys of Germany and the southern parts of England. I could start with it after the easter holidays ...

I would suggest the following civs:

Romans

Helvetii (in the Swiss)

Sequani (arround the upper Rhine)

Aquitani (southwest France)

Belgae (in Belgium)

British Celts (in southern England)

Germani (in Germany)

The best source for further information should be Ceasars "bellum gallicum".

Doh! I'm soooo Dozy!

I forgot to include the unit .ini files in the Zip - you'll have a few problems getting it working without them. But they're there now.
Sorry to anyone who's game has crashed on them.

Lares if you would like to make a map that would be perfect. I'm trying to write a dissertation just now and don't have time to work this mod and a map.

I also like your list of Civs, I was thinking along those lines myself.

Anyone who plays this: let me know if you see any of the Gallic civs building Cities with the "Tribe" unit. They use it okay offensively but I suspect the AI can't handle the settler option so I'm planning on removing it.

The Legion/Cohort thing seems to work wonderfully though :)

A good slinger unit is a must (IMHO) for any roman era mod.

My suggested stats include:

Attack, 1
Defence, 1
Move, 2 (light unit faster than Legions)

Others:
Zone of control
Range attack of 0(yes thats 0) doing a damage of 1 with a Rate of fire of 1. That way it wont be able to attack at range (distroying buildings), but will be able to fire a free volly at an attacker or attacking a unit activating it ZOC. (must set the bombard button in the editor) I have tested this and the AI uses it pretty well.

Cost of 1.

Here is a first outline of a map of gaul. I've marked the rough starting positions of eight civilizations. They are spread on the map quite well so I think eight civs should be enough.

Here is a picture of the map outline.

I also tried to convert the bitmap map into a bic file, but the utility I used (bmp2bic) seems to stretch the map in an unpleasant way. But I will try again ...

Cool!

I'll try and post an updated version soon - any delay is because of my dissertation; only 30 days left to finish :eek:

Pretty much no matter what you do, your map will have a stretched(sp) look to it. Its the way the game does the maps. Its still the same number of tiles, but the game itself causes it to look all pulled. I have created a good roman world map, and it has the same problems, so I had to edit that in my original map by squishing my bmp map first. It elongated in the game pretty good.

Avahz Darkwood: Is the map stretched in the map overview in the corner of the display only or is it stretched in the main view too? And: Is there any utility to convert a bmp half the size of the original one. BMP2BIC only accepts some standard sizes (100x100; 140x140 ...).

I dont know about the other utils out there, I pretty much gave up on creating a scen. untill a better editor comes out...

The main screen is pretty much a moot point, though it doesnt do it much, there is a little. Overall it doesnt really matter because you can only see a portion at a time... Generally the map you convert still looks good IMHO...

Top Bottom