Copy Protection Problems

ptglass

Chieftain
I bought the game and installed it as per instructions. I received no error messages and yet the game would not start. It would simple put up the flash screen and freeze. I contacted support and they sent me this huge list of drivers that should be changed, etc.. They were asking me to completely reconfigure my solidly working computer. I heard about the copy protection on this board and wondered if that could be the problem. It seemed that my cd rom drive simple wasn't working. I got the idea to try my other drive, a DVD drive. Guess what? The program loaded flawlessly and works perfectly in all respects. No need to install coutless drivers, etc.. I had changed nothing but the drive I used. Somehow my regular cd drive just couldn't get past the copy protection scheme.

I am really angry at whoever made the decision to put copy protection on the cd. I am 100% sure that is what caused the problem with my other drive. When are software publishers going to learn that copy protection is a very BAD IDEA? It doesn't stop the people who want to copy their software from doing so - people will always find a way around it. I paid for the program and yet I am the one who suffered endless frustration trying to get the program to run. I wasted better part of a day on this. Why should I, a paying customer have to be treated in this manner! I have been around computers since the DOS days and remember all the problems that copy protection caused then. It seems like software publishers would have learned their lessons from that.

This is it for me. I will never again purchase anything with copy protection. I don't have time or the patience to deal with the problems that it causes. I really feel sorry for all the people that downloaded drivers, etc. trying to get their programs to run when all along it was more than likely the copy protection scheme thwarting them.

Patrick

Top Bottom