cpu for civ 5

yetubaba

Chieftain
Hey guys! I have an I3 duel corewith hyperthreading 3.4 ghz. I'm wondering if its good enough to pla;y civ 5 on full (im ordering a great gpu from new egg). My friend told me that even his i7 struggles to run civ 5 on full. This makes no sence. i7 is TOP OF THE LINE, but yet it cant handle a turn based game that was released in 2009?? This makes no sense. Personally, I dont see any reason why an I3 couldnt run civ 5, but he says there is no way. What do yall say? I know it falls well within recommended specs, but he swears it will never run civ 5 on huge maps and full settings. Weird...

Hey guys! I have an I3 duel corewith hyperthreading 3.4 ghz. I'm wondering if its good enough to pla;y civ 5 on full (im ordering a great gpu from new egg). My friend told me that even his i7 struggles to run civ 5 on full. This makes no sence. i7 is TOP OF THE LINE, but yet it cant handle a turn based game that was released in 2009?? This makes no sense. Personally, I dont see any reason why an I3 couldnt run civ 5, but he says there is no way. What do yall say? I know it falls well within recommended specs, but he swears it will never run civ 5 on huge maps and full settings. Weird...

It will run. Whether it will run on full, depends on the graphics card. But as an i3, I don't expect it to be spectacular.

Not all i7s are the same, of course, and even with an i7, there are other things that bottleneck performance, and there are some issues with Civ on some computer that cause slowness in unit response.

This game is very resource hungry and does slow down incrementally the less resources you have to play the game. A below specs computer will run the game and there are ways to avoid crashing, but by late game, you could wait 30 seconds just to add items into the build queue in the city screen the more cities there are in the game.

An i3 will run the game, but you will have to have a lot of patience on huge maps with over a hundred cities and hundreds of units. Then when you add the expansions, you will see even more "slowness" to the game. If you feel the need to add mods, then that could add issues, because they have to be re-adjusted every time there is a patch that changes how the game itself plays.

So basically, im looknig at turns last upwards to one minute?? By comparison to other, Civ V does not APPEAR to be that resource intense. Is it a bug in the system, or no?

Oh, and I don't do mods.

I do not understand why you do not think the game is not resource intense. My theory is that it is run like an HTML interface. It is not a simple turn based game. It has a lot of code, and that may be buggy at times. Some have had saved files grow from a few KB to 100 GB.

It is hard to say why it does not do well on some i7 systems. It may be because they have an i7, but only a 32 bit OS and 4 Gb of RAMM. There are other bottle necks besides the CPU. One could have an i3 like yours, a decent GPU with 2 Gb DDR5, a 64 bit OS and 8GB of RAMM and the game will play just fine. I have an i7 2.2 with just HD 4000 GPU and 8 Gb of RAMM and the game does not lag and turns on a huge map with over 100 cities and several 100 units does not take more than a minute late game. Those with the fastest play use an SSD, but those drives will probably wear out sooner if one plays constant Civ5.

Ok, apparently he is using integrated graphics and 4 gig ram. That makes more sense. I was just puzzled as to how a game from 2009 could out preform a processor that was released almost 3 years later. lol

Ok, apparently he is using integrated graphics and 4 gig ram. That makes more sense. I was just puzzled as to how a game from 2009 could out preform a processor that was released almost 3 years later. lol

The game was a pretty demanding game back then, and honestly, graphics aren't optimized for this kind of game. They're more focused on FPS-type games, and this game handles very differently from them. There's a lot of stuff going on both graphically and under the hood.

would you say civ 5 is one of the most demanding pc games on the market or no?

I have been thinking about this, and I am wondering if Civ5 was not written to run as real time, but is allowed one to stop and take a turn. The AI may be doing calculations based on real time and not waiting for the human. I think that the game could be setup to keep running and not even giving the human a chance to actually finish their moves they wanted to do. If this is the case, then the game is a very taxing game and will give the bottlenecks a run for their money if they are not up to speed.

What type of CPU would yall recommend to run civ 5 on a huge map and full settings? I currerntly have a duo core i3 with hyper threading, 12 gig memory, 550 watt psu and a gefore 760 msi graphics card.

If you are going to get the game any way, why not just try playing it on the system you currently have? The only one who can truly tell you how the game will work on your system, is you. Some people here swear that an expensive i5 is better than a cheap i7. It would be nice for you to just get Civ5 and play a game how you want to, and let us know how it turned out for you.

I myself was fearful to get anything less than an i7, but having played it on a quad core AMD, which would be similar to an i5 showed me that the game was just as playable.

The biggest thing in getting a system is actually having the parts work well with each other. If you get a great CPU and a crummy motherboard, you are no better off. If you have a system that is tried and works great for satisfied customers, then it should do just fine with Civ5.

I don't think that your mobo will support the added GPU that comes with that CPU. You may want to check your manual. If it doesn't you may purchase another mobo later that does. You will see some increase over your current CPU though.

Down in the COLOSSEUM section under Computer Talk, there is a conversation about building a great gaming computer that may add some perspective besides this thread.

the hp site says it can support anything up to a i7 2000k (95 watt) cpu. As far as onboard graphics, i have a geforce 760 card, so i dont really need onboard graphics.

Having the graphics in the CPU is sometimes used to optimize the overall GPU performance. Civ5 may not take advantage of that. I was just pointing out how your mobo is a "bottleneck" in that area not taking full advantage of the onboard GPU in the intel CPU.

Top Bottom