Cultural capital of the world

What is the cultural capital of the world for 2010?

• Total voters
i consider Istanbul to be the cultural Center. no im not biased. i just don't think new york produced enough culture yet.

None of the above. The world is again interestingly diverse and multi-polar.:goodjob:

A poll about culture with no Venice? Bad poll.

Where is the Berlin option?

Clearly it is LA. It has Hollywood and Rock & Roll and a Broadcast Tower and all it produces with its hammers is culture.
Well, yeah, but not to such an extent that it is lent any sort of primacy. It's a regional music centre, sure, but so is any large city, that's just how popular culture works. It doesn't even house any particularly prominent scenes right now, at least not compared to, say, grunge-era Seattle, or itself in the glam era.

New York. I don't see any other city having the influence on global culture currently that NY has.

New York. I don't see any other city having the influence on global culture currently that NY has.
But this influence represents only a tiny, tiny fraction of international culture as a whole.

Which is, essentially, where this whole scheme falls down. We're bickering over which grain of sand comprises the largest portion of the beach, with the apparent intent of proclaiming that grain "King of the Beach", which is about as absurd as it it appears to be. I know humans have this apparently ingrained tendency to name a "best" example of everything, but, really, is there any point? Cultural centres, in particular, are organic entities, so attempting to ordain one as primate is simply contrary to their very nature.

Ok. Ask the question this way: Is there any city that other parts of the world are becoming more like?

Well, yes, thousands of them. That was rather my point.

When Paris stops being the most visited city in the world, I'll consider somewhere else. Until then...

Well, yeah, but not to such an extent that it is lent any sort of primacy. It's a regional music centre, sure, but so is any large city, that's just how popular culture works. It doesn't even house any particularly prominent scenes right now, at least not compared to, say, grunge-era Seattle, or itself in the glam era.

Shhhhh. I was struggling to make my joke work. ):

New York #1

When Paris stops being the most visited city in the world, I'll consider somewhere else. Until then...

Paris receives the most international visitors, but overall, NYC is by far #1.

47 million tourists in 2008 versus 35 million for Paris

New York #1

Paris receives the most international visitors, but overall, NYC is by far #1.

47 million tourists in 2008 versus 35 million for Paris
If we talk about world's cultural capital, then it's more significant to count international visitors.

And where do your numbers come from ?

Anyone voting for a European city is being heavily biased. World culture doesn't just mean fine arts and old buildings.

Top Bottom