Declaration of war with no contact?

jeffreyac

Mostly Harmless
Saw something strange in my current game - think I saw someone bring the topic up before, but I can't find it now...

Had a good sized continent all to myself (after axe rushing the French and making it mine!) and was systematically spreading out over it, working towards Caravels to go explore the world. I get a declaration of war from the persians, whom I have no contact with, and their vassal.

No contact message, no threat, no demand, no nothing, just trumpets and war - and then I can see their scores as if I'd contacted them. Diplomatic efforts (trying to talk to them) result in some sort of bug, where the leaderhead appears but no options other than saying farewell.

I did get caravels shortly thereafter, and ran around the world meeting everyone else. (I was, indeed, the first to caravels and the Persians/Vassal was not close enough to gain contact through shared cultural border)

Then, AFTER I find the Persian's cultural border, I can talk to them normally.

What gives? My first thought was some sort of AP bug, but I don't think it'd been built yet (and, anyway, they were the only group to declare on me; everyone else was met peacefully...)

Anyone have any thoughts - or seen a random dec of war from a civ you technically haven't met yet? Or, for that matter, know how it could happen?

(My apologies for no save attached, for those who wanted to look - on the work computer, so no access here...)

I think it is the Colony bug:

Persinas split up a colony, this new colony takes the slot from France in the game inheriting your war.

Bhruics patch fixes it.

Anyone have any thoughts - or seen a random dec of war from a civ you technically haven't met yet? Or, for that matter, know how it could happen?

There seems to be some funky situations in BtS where war is just declared arbitrarily. In my last game, I was being quite peaceful with Pacal as my one of my neighbours. Suddenly the war trumpets sound and I get a message that I had declared war on him, even though I had done no such thing. I tried reloading a previous save and the exact same thing happened. I have no idea why we were suddenly at each others throats. The only thing I can think of is some kind of bug.

PS: I was using Bhuric's patch so I doubt it was the colony bug nor did I even see any new colonies formed. Though I quite possibly just hadn't met them yet.

Pacal is - just like depicted by his Leaderhead - a spoiled child. He will sometimes declare without a really good reason... However you say the message stated "YOU" declared on him... Thats a bit odd...

Did you had a Defnsive Pact with someone else ?

Pacal is - just like depicted by his Leaderhead - a spoiled child. He will sometimes declare without a really good reason... However you say the message stated "YOU" declared on him... Thats a bit odd...

Did you had a Defnsive Pact with someone else ?

That's right, the message said that I declared on him. And I hadn't considered the defensive pact thing. I did indeed have one with Roosevelt, though AFAIK he wasn't at war with Pacal either. And I'm not even sure it was at that point that I had the pact, I believe that only came about later. Though I could be mistaken. Frankly, I had completely forgotten about that pact. It could very well explain what happened.

Top Bottom