Design a Unit 3 contest (public poll)

Which unit do you tihnk should be added to FfH?

• Blood Hawk

Votes: 39 15.4%
  • Divided Soul

Votes: 50 19.7%
  • Ghost Pirate

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • Mana Freak

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Mime

Votes: 36 14.2%
  • The Restless

Votes: 24 9.4%
  • Trickster

Votes: 21 8.3%
  • Wild Mage

Votes: 24 9.4%
  • Will'o'wisp

Votes: 35 13.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Congradulations to Verdian for his winning entry Divided Soul!

Divided Soul
by Verdian
Sidar
Stats are the same as Hunter, except it loses the ability to carry cargo, it cannot build camps, and it's movement drops to 1. It gains the "Severed Soul" spell.

The unit can summon a permanent 0/1 "Severed Soul" with a movement of 2. This unit is always invisible. The Divided Soul can, at will, be summoned to the Severed Soul. This destroys the Severed Soul. Another one can be summoned, but a Divided Soul can only create one at a time.

The main purpose of this unit would be the ability to be in two places at once. This could help the mysteriousness of the Sidar, by having units appear out of seemingly nowhere. Upgrading this to an assassin would be especially nice.

The Severed Soul would have the skin of a Life Spark, and the Divided Soul would look like a normal Hunter (or whatever unit it replaced).​

Speaking of the Sidar, and taking FOREVER to do something because you have no concept of time... ;)

So, I've been tinkering with the SDK for a while, and I decided to challenge myself. Remembering this design contest winner I set it as my goal.

The end result is slightly modified from the precise design, but it is available in Fall Further 0.41 for your use.

Divided Soul is a Sidar Replacement for the Hunter, he still has 2 move points, and he can cast Sever Soul. This creates TWO severed souls, each one of which has 2 Move points, is invisible to all units and can summon the Divided soul to their location (at the expense of their continued existence). Severed Souls are incapable of exploring/revealing new map area though (Solid black, not fog of war obscured).

This creates an interesting bind for the owner: Do I keep the second soul hanging loose so I can recall myself out of a potential danger area, or do I delete it and summon 2 more? Do I send one soul out looking for prey and keep the other in a safe location so I can run away immediately after I attack, or do I send out both and enhance my chances of finding a target?

Anyway, feel free to download Fall Further and try it out :) It was fun coding, but I rarely play myself, so it'd be nice if you gave the little guy some company :)

So, when can we expect this to be implemented?

So, I take it you're puttin it in your modcomp and then Vehem's updatin Fall Further?

I'm working with Vehem on FF. The MODCOMP will still update, but it'll be the exact same DLL as Fall Further uses and only as much other pieces as are required for it to work (Schema's, text tags, minimal Python) for as long as it remains compatible with base FfH. Once it is no longer easily compatible, then the MODCOMP will probably just quit getting updated seperate from FF. (right now I haven't posted 1.18, which would be the first MODCOMP with the capabilities required for this unit.)

Thus the short answer is: It is already in FF, it is not yet in MODCOMP

Ok. Sweet. Lookin forward to it, man.

I'd only add a unit if the Civ is lacking in power and needed the unit to attain balance.

Well, considerin the Sidar have no UUs, maybe they could use one. If nothin else, to increase their flavour a lil.

Well, the Sidar do have Ghost, which are notably superior then the Assasin's they replace (they can become invisible at will, after all).

Oh, duh! I completely forgot, not sure how. But most civs have 2 or more UUs. So, 1 more for the Sidar will certainly be nice. And it can't hurt really.

The Sidar could use a few more things to make them stand out. They seem rather...vanilla right now. Except for their wane ability of course, but that can be as much bane as boon sometimes.

Well since above unit did won a design contest (and even the non-winning entry mime is in and very nice) you can expect that unit to be implemented sometime in the shadow phase indeed. (city of a thousand slums took some time as well)

That is what has been the "prize" to be gained here after all. I doubt the team whould just drop said unit from its agenda without even dropping a line of excuse why. So its more like: Wait and see + expect it to be in. ;)
Frankly i whould rather like more units from above list to be implemented (blood hawk and trikster at least are nice ideas indeed imo. But all seem at least a bit interesting / with alot of potential) instead of fewer.

And balance should not be the reason to axe something nice/fun untested.
Tweaks are always possible or if really necessary axing it after testing and proven unbalanced.

(and how wane can be a bane for a player is beyond me. Unless players misuse of said ability. But that is true for most other features as well.)

This sounds great, Sidar is an old favourite of mine but they do indeed lack some flavour. Never underestimate the importance of fluff!

Been trying the Divided Soul out, works fine so far. Though it requires Obelisk instead of Hunting Lodge, was that intended? Not much to say in regards to balance etc, but it did feel very Sidaresque :)

edit: sorry for double post

Vehem meant for that to be intended, but missed the fact that you start with the tech for Obelisk's as Sidar. So it was updated to require a Unique version of the Hunting Lodge, available at Mysticism, instead. Consequently, so do their Hawks as a result.

Top Bottom