Designing a Mod : Ancient Mediterranean/Roman Empire

Really, really impressive. :goodjob:
I note that nucleat plant and Copernicus' observatory didn't get a remplacement, did you simply removed them ?
Wouldn't Ptolemy's observatory be more accurate rather than Plato's academy ? Plato wasn't really in science, Aristotle would work better in this regard (with his Lyceum ?)

Romans
Carthage /Phoenicians
Greeks
Egypt
Babylon
Persians / Parthians
Hittites
Celts
Macedonians
Etruscans
Huns
Iberians
Armenians
Hebrews
Good choice, almost every civ of note in the area is there, but maybe it would be interesting to see if it's balanced in terms of starting point ?
Italy: Romans, Etruscans
Africa: Carthage ; Egypt
Syro-Palestinian corridor: Phoenicians, Hebrews
Greece: Greeks (duh!), Macedonia
Mesopotamia: Babylon
Persia: Persians, Parthians
Anatolia: Hittites
France/Germany: Celts
Stepps: Huns
Spain: Iberians
Caucasus: Armenians

So we end up with 3 potiential redundants civ : Phoenicians/Hebrews, Romans/Etruscans, Greeks/Macedonians.
Phoenicians can be replaced with Carthage, and Macedonia is not really in Greece (yet very close), but Etruscans are clearly redundant. Mmmm.

I'll admit I'm rather eager to see this mod completed, it will be a fantastic one ! :king:

I note that nucleat plant and Copernicus' observatory didn't get a remplacement, did you simply removed them ?
Wouldn't Ptolemy's observatory be more accurate rather than Plato's academy ? Plato wasn't really in science, Aristotle would work better in this regard (with his Lyceum ?)
At the moment I'm using Copernicus' as Plato's Academy(name can be changed to Ptolemy's observatory or something else) and I'm hoping that darkpanda manages to give Isaac Newton's College's effect to tech called Aristotle's methology (or something like that).
For Nuclear Plant I couldn't think for good replacement. I already have slave market(power plant) and work service(hydro plant). What would the 3rd be?

---

For the Civs, as there can be only 7 at time in the map ,the list could be:
  1. Romans/Etruscans
  2. Persians/Huns
  3. Hittites/Armenians
  4. Iberians/Celts
  5. Carthage/Egypt
  6. Greeks/Macedonians
  7. Hebrews/Babylonians

I see that Romans have Etruscan Roots like Carthage has Phoenician Roots. But I think the list is good one.

Scenarios may have different Civ list and some civs maybe merged as one.For example in my test scenario I have Celts/Sparta/Huns and Etruscans/Hebrews merged.

*I didn't find a proper translation for "work service", so maybe it's the same thing.*

As nuclear plant decreases pollution/injustice and is cheaper to build (and maintain if I recall correctly) than hydro plant, maybe it could be something like "right of corvée" aka "statute service". It's different from slavery yet is free work (not exactly free, as it is a compensation from the lord's protection).

My point about Etruscans is that they would start at almost the same place almost the same place than the Romans, which is not the case with the others civs.

1. Italia(Latium) / Italia (Tuscany)
2. Persia/Central Asia
3. Anatolia/Caucasus
4. Spain/France or Germany
5. Tunisia/Egypt
6. Greece (Central) / Greece (North) or Bulgaria
7. Palestinia/Mesopotamia

Estrucans would start very very close to the start point of the other civ of the same colour. Of course, French and Germans also have very close start points in the original. But all other civs have rather disjointed start points. :)

The "right of corvée" sounds like better name for Work service.
It's ineteresting that ancient Greeks had developed wind wheel and steam power prototypes:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hero_of_Alexandria

I think I will use the production buildings following way:

• Forge (Factory)
  • Slave Market (Power Plant)
  • Corvee (Nuclear Plant) - Risk of Meltdown is not wanted, but tech Fusion Power cancels it. So I will simply use Fusion Power tech's ID earlier in the Tech Tree than Corvee becomes available.
  • Wind Mill (Hydro Plant)
  • Steam Forge ( Mfg. Plant) - Becomes available late in the tech tree and is expensive to build and maintain.

Re-thought unit stats:
  • Settlers 0-1-1
  • Militia 1-1-1
  • Archer 1-2-1
  • Phalanx 4-4-1
  • Nomad Raider 3-1-3
  • Axemen 4-2-1
  • Swordmen 5-2-1
  • Chariot 3-1-2
  • Horse Archers 7-3-3
  • Elephant 10-4-1
  • Legion 8-4-1
  • Catapult 12-0-1 (it appears that units with attack value 12 ignores city walls)
  • Ballista 11-0-1
  • Light Cavalry 5-1-3
  • Heavy Cavalry 8-4-2
  • Carvel 1-0-2
  • Penteconter 1-1-3
  • Bireme 2-1-4
  • Trireme 3-2-4
  • Quadireme 3-3-5
  • Merchantman 0-1-4
  • Greek Fire 8-0-2 (can only attack other ships)
  • Diplomat 0-0-2
  • Caravan 0-1-1

There is still room for about 5 more unit types, good ideas are welcome.

Maybe you could add "siege tower" (perhaps making it a 12 points attack, nerfing a bit catapult and ballist) and "crossbowers" (crossbows existed in ancient times). Problem with crossbow in real life is while it's very powerful and more accurate, it's much slower to rearm than a bow, so maybe 3-1-1 would be correct stats.

For a weak yet more powerful unit than Militia (I note there are no terrestrial unit with an attack power of "2" in your list), why not "slingers" ? The Assyrian army used them.

Another addition could be "hoplite" (weaker than phalanx).

I like the idea of the wind mill standing for the hydro plant. :goodjob:
Which makes me think... why not go all the way with the metaphor/symbolism and have water mill = hydro plant and wind mill = nuclear plant ? :)
Or the other way : hydroplant stay wind mill, nuclear plant is watermill, and then "flooding" stands for Meltdown... :think:

Hydro Plants as Water Mills makes some sense indeed. Then the Hoover Dam could be made look like Hanging Gardens ( they give inspiration for every city to use water mills:) )

I don't know if Nuclear Plants should be Wind Mills or Work Service/Corvee. I like the idea of Work Service as cheap building that is expensive to maintain. Something you may not have in every city, but might be good to in high production city when you need extra production. (And don't want to use slave market.)

Power Plant is clearly the Slave Market/Slavery because of pollution effect. I have some ideas that how the pollution could be used:
  1. Simply use "no pollution patch".
  2. Rename pollution as riot and if possible require military unit to remove a pollution from square. (I'm not sure but maybe it would be possible to change the code so, that clearing pollution is possible for unit if it is not settler.
  3. Instead of spawning pollution to square spawn barbarian unit! (Slave riot) I don't know, maybe this is quite difficult to accomplish.

---

I like the crossbowman 3-1-1 and hoplite(or just spearmen), maybe 2-3-1. Slinger 2-1-1 makes sense too. However siege tower is problematic because it can also attack units outside cities, which makes it illogical if it wipes out legions on open ground. (Same applies to catapults and ballistas too, but there need to be units that can take out fortified phalanxes inside city walls.)

Would be so fun to get to edit the battle mechanics a bit.http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=492843

Nuclear plants should be Work Service/Corvee. In that case nuclear meltdown = riot. Pollution = destroyed and burned fields/infrastructure as a result of a riot. Then you need settlers to clean up all this mess.

1.Simply use "no pollution patch".
2.Rename pollution as riot and if possible require military unit to remove a pollution from square. (I'm not sure but maybe it would be possible to change the code so, that clearing pollution is possible for unit if it is not settler.
3.Instead of spawning pollution to square spawn barbarian unit! (Slave riot) I don't know, maybe this is quite difficult to accomplish.

4. Instead of spawning pollution, pollution event triggers civil disorder. I'd really like too see this to happen. Normally civil disorders never happens, if you play carefully.

Nuclear plants should be Work Service/Corvee. In that case nuclear meltdown = riot. Pollution = destroyed and burned fields/infrastructure as a result of a riot. Then you need settlers to clean up all this mess.

Very good! Don't even require new graphics, just texts. But also bit boring as it's exactly same as normal civ game. Also polluted squares causes global warming which I'm not sure I like to see in this mod.

Well, in all logic, global warming should be impossible in this mod. The easiest way to achieve it is with the "no pollution" patch, which still adds chimneys and thus unhappy people ("injustice" in Hannurabi's mod).
Maybe though it would be possible to make the chimneys add a bit more of unhappy people, making the possibility of civil disorder higher and thus the game more challenging. :)

I think I'll move the development of this mod to the CivOne project, when it's done.

But here is the work I did for the CivDOS. It's very unfinished, just including new tech tree, new unit graphics and new terrain. And map. Might include errors and bugs too.

Attachments

• civ_rome.zip
    177.7 KB · Views: 83
whole_map.png
greece.png
With the recent progress made in CivOne, I have decided to resurrect this project.

The new map is lot bigger. I might have to give units more movement points and add a limit how close you can found cities to existing cities.

whole_map.png greece.png

Sounds fun - your map needs more trees/plains/etc. But I guess that's coming.
Can you prevent the map from wrapping over so the atlantic doesn't meet the near east?

Carvel = Caravel? Those didn't exist until the 1500s. If it's supposed to be a crappy ship, make it a canoe or something.

Carvel? I guess I meant canoe or something like that...

The map is auto generated from a picture. I guess I should generate slightly smaller map for more playable game.

I guess using CivOne engine you can disable wrapping, but it takes some work. But this whole project depends on progress of CivOne.

Top Bottom