Divine Intervention IV: The Wisdom of Pericles

Having been preoccupied (some might say obsessed) with stories of ancient gods and long lost worlds, Pericles had let his attention slip from the religious changes happening on his own turf.

The Faith of the Cross, the strange cult that had emerged from the wilds of the north, had slowly spread southwards. It found converts amongst disaffected Jews and Muslims all along the east coast, who were drawn to its promise of redemption for the meek and the humble. Though still very much a fringe religion, its ceremonies taking place in backrooms and basements rather than established temples, leaders of the other religions had begun to worry about this new competitor.

So it was that three eminent scholars - a Jew, a Muslim, and a Taoist - came to see Pericles in Athens. The Jewish representative was the first to speak:

"Majesty, you are known to all as a wise and gentle ruler, who encourages dialogue and peaceful coexistence between people of all faiths. And so it is with heavy hearts that we come before you today, bringing a grave matter for your attention..."

"No doubt you are aware of the strange and secretive cult which spreads in your eastern cities. Its followers call it the Faith of the Cross, and claim that it has no quarrel with other faiths. They are lying, your highness, and their true purpose threatens us all..."

The Muslim representative took over:

"These cultists take great care to prevent outsiders from gaining knowledge of their goals or their organisation. We have evidence that people wishing to leave the cult are murdered to ensure their silence. We also know that officials have been bribed or blackmailed, allowing the cultists to get away with these evil deeds."

"Moreover, our sources report that the cult has been accumulating large amounts of gold by fraud and force. Public money is secretly diverted to their coffers. Protection rackets operate in areas where the cult is strong. Pirates and highway robbers target merchants travelling the east coast, and turn the profits over to the cult. Given the sums involved, we can only assume that they are building up a war chest..."

Now it was the turn of the Taoist:

"This is no peaceful faith, Majesty. As much as we are thankful for your tolerance of different beliefs, this cult is too dangerous to be tolerated. This blight has already spread across the new world, infecting India and Arabia. We fear that even the leaders of those nations may have been corrupted by its malign influence."

"And so, in spite of our own differences, our three faiths have united this day to beg that you take action against the threat. Firstly, we ask that you refrain from helping these cultists to spread their foul lies here in Greece. Secondly, we wish you to send a force to strike at the heart of this wicked group..."

"And where would that be?" enquired Pericles.

"A place called Winstown", replied the Jewish representative. "It is not accessible by land, but we have reliable information that there is a seaward passage somewhere to the northeast of Mediolanum. We must warn you, however, against any temptation to keep the city for yourself. If a decisive blow is to be struck against this cult, Winstown must be razed to the ground!"

Changes (NFPE):
Spoiler :
*I spread Christianity in Corinth, Arretium, Sparta, Neapolis, and a number of Indian, Roman and Spanish cities.

*I made Winstown the Christian holy city, and built the Church of the Nativity there.

One night, as Pericles lay restless in bed, a ghostly presence appeared in the corner of his room. Although it was blurry and almost translucent, he could make out the features of an old man with a look of sadness etched on his face. The man's hands and feet were bound with faintly glowing chains, and his clothes were tattered.

"Who are you?" Pericles asked, managing to keep his composure.

"I am your secret shame" replied the old man. "Your crime was great, Pericles, yet you committed it without a thought..."

"Crime? What crime?" Pericles demanded.

"How easily the betrayal of innocence is forgotten" the old man whispered, with a hint of bitterness, "...but He does not forget, and His judgement will be true".

Pericles was baffled.

"There is still time, Pericles" the old man continued. "You might yet redeem yourself. But you must close your ears to the voices of hate and division, for they will only deceive you, and lead you astray once more."

"Listen instead to the prayers of the poor and the weak", he went on. "Give refuge to them, and help spread the message of hope they carry in their hearts. Only then will you find what you are looking for".

As he finished speaking, the ghostly old man faded away. Left alone with his thoughts once more, Pericles found himself imagining a huge building with a gigantic wooden cross sitting atop its tallest tower, high above the streets of Athens.

@Paulus:
Spoiler What to do :
You have two contradictory quests:

1) Raze Winstown. Do not spread Christianity or build any Christian buildings.

2) Build a Christian Cathedral in Athens. Do not raze Winstown (ie. either capture and keep it, or don't capture it).

Of course, you could raze Winstown and build the Cathedral (or do neither). But that will probably turn both sides against you. :p

Attachments

• DivInt4 WH AD-1400.CivBeyondSwordSave
    416.6 KB · Views: 83
@Winston - Thanks for the heads up.

Here is my save (again).

NPM

Attachments

• Pericles AD-1400.CivBeyondSwordSave
    417.1 KB · Views: 64
Well, since all the gods seem to be done with their changes, I'm going to play the set on Wednesday because I don't have time to play it earlier.

*smacks self on head*

NO. YOU'RE NOT GOING TO KEEP THAT DEADLINE ANYWAY, IDIOT.

(but at least I'll try to get an update across Wednesday. :p )

Tracnar looked at the blade, this could be his only chance. It would give him the power he needed. If it did not work however, it would end very, very badly.

"I have and idea Ashus, hand me the blade and I will test it."

A sword of this strength wielded by a God would certainly be enough, much stronger than a mortal wielding it. It would be enough to defeat a God, right?

"Eldarion?"

"Yes, Lord. When Tracnar destroyed the shield over 'The Gate,' we were able to get readings. We think Eldarion is connected somehow, but we don't know for sure how," the researcher explained.

"There is one hypothesis," his aide said. "As we know, The Gate's aura prior to the shield being put up was one related to the underworld. We also know that Eldarion's sword pulsed soon after you returned, not long before the shield was put into place. It's possible that Eldarion put the shield into place to hide himself."

Another researcher spoke up. "That fit the data until we look at the current aura around The Gate. The lands there are quite fertile, now. The sword was Eldarion's vengence. Someone that betrayed would not settle down and make a small paradise."

"Thank you for the update, gentlemen. And lady," the Lord of Shadows said before this rose to the lavel of an argument. "I shall think on this."

The Lord of Shadows exited the room post-haste. First the question of Ashus's Realm, now this.

Played the set, still writing up a report. Some highlights:

-Caesar is destroyed.
-Winstown is taken and razed.
-Stalin has been warmongering on my continent, declaring on Liz and Izzy.
-Asoka is still far ahead but I've caught up with Izzy at least.

Tracnar tried to keep himself calm, but this might be his only chance to destroy another god.

"The blade's purpose is vengeance. Once the wielder achieved vengeance, theoretically it should return to a normal sword without its original owner's influence."

Tracnar's stance grew bold. "Give me the sword, and I will achieve it quickly"

Tracnar could only hope that Ashus would not see through his ruse.

Whoever the God of Random Laptop Luck be, he's currently doing an evil villainous laugh, hands firmly set in a double-barrel salute against PaulusIII and Pericles.

My laptop, previously having some trouble, has now gone completely offline to the point where it doesn't even start to allow me to make a proper backup of my story, my screenshots or my save. I'm currently on another computer at home, but I can't get to my data nor can I replay the set because I can't play Civ on this computer.

Which means that - you have to wait for an update - AGAIN. I'm sorry but that is the way of the God of Random Laptop Luck. He does not care for Greece or the other gods - he's just a villainous god that messes up people randomly.

Tracnar, the blade was forged out of the will of a God whose sole thoughts were on my demise. It was forged to take Vengeance upon me. Is this what you wish to do, Aetherborn?

The wisps of air around them turned hauntingly gold, and the godling found himself being ensnared by golden shackles, so strong... it was as if his powers were but mere mortal tricks in the realm of the Lord of Gold.

Do wish upon me vengeance for your destruction? Do you seek to renew yourself with my blood? Even now I see you, Tracnar - do not think me a fool because I have been in your shoes and you seek to do what I once did! he boomed, his voice coming from all around now.

My enemies are reeling in defeat, my undoing is in my grasp. I once let something that was precious to me go, and it was stolen by the impertinent Lord of Shadows. I will not merely hand over the tool to my destruction.

Dark tendrils began snaking ominously up his arm, and they grew numorous enough to completely envelop the hand wielding the blade. Soon, with a sickening crunch, the blade sunk into the skin of Ashus, and after another minute they had merged. His eyes glew red, and he seemed to take another surge of power.

Vengeance... he murmered, and he laughed. Do you know why I am a god, Tracnar? It is because I learned how to syphon the power from other gods.

With a burst of golden light Tracnar was flung back into the realm of mortals and into the dirt forcefully. Looking up, he would not recognize his surroundings - surroundings of a continent he had never visited.

Tracnar smiled. It worked, It was necessary to fool Ashus like that, Tracnar could only hope that one day he might understand and not hold a grudge for tricking him.

"Now, where am I?" Tracnar thought.

Looking around he saw a mountain top and plains stretching for miles and miles. He recognized that mountain, but he had only seen it from a different angle, from above. True he had never set foot on this land, but he knew he was here.

"Even better than I expected. The gate island, time to go hunting!"

And thanks to Ashus he was safely beyond any, unsavory traps of Eldarion that he might have set. Why Ashus needed to be enraged with him, well that plan will play itself out. Tracnar could only hope that Ashus would not be too mad, or else that bond to The god of Aether he accepted would not only kill Tracnar if broken, it would kill Ashus. And the frightening part is, Ashus doesn't know.

-------------------

Tracnar was looking down on, what he could only describe as himself. His golden wisps were muted to keep him hidden. This other Tracnar was black-blood hazed, disgusting. Tracnar knew what this black one wanted. He wanted to kill another God, himself.

"Winstown!" spat Leonidas. "Those blasted savages again. I tell you, we're not going to let them get away with it again!"

"I... I don't know, Leonidas." Pericles shook his head. "What is it with deities, that a great deal of them seem to operate on a basis of enforcing their rule through fear?

What is it, that they strike me then give me instructions to redeem myself? Do they not understand... that worship requires trust?

Pericles now rose from his chair, his eyes set stern. "Yet they have a lot of points against them. They have been in league with our enemies on previous occasions. They have managed to infiltrate Spain, where the religious climate is much stricter than here. They seek conflict with both Spanish religious authority and the Council of Imams in Sparta, seeking to supplant both Greek official religion and Greek indigenous religion. Even the English despise them for seeking conflict with their Taoist beliefs."

Socrates now butted in: "And what of our true enemies?"

Pericles exchanged a slightly malicious smile with Leonidas. "Don't worry. Rome's days are numbered. With the knowledge vested in us by the gods... we will bring him to justice."

A caravel captain sent to scout out the seaway to Winstown found a group of extremely well-trained seamen in his way and had to turn around because of that. The Greeks were as of yet unable to get to their enemy in the north.

Unlike the enemy in the south. Rome was stirring up trouble again, and Pericles would not grant him another chance. He had given him one, and got nothing. The Lorekeepers were brought to the front... where in 1425, war was declared against Rome. The backwards Romans were driven back to their fortress in Rome itself.

Pericles' generals had thought of everything. Roman defectors had been contacted to provide Greece with a passage in and to sow chaos among the Roman defenders. As Rome erupted in riots, one of the defectors opened the gate of the castle for the Greeks and effectively handed Rome's capital to the Greeks on a silver platter. Not even one of the mightiest and best-defended cities of the world could stand against treachery.

Christianity would finally show its true colours later on. After Rome had been brought down to two separate far-away city states, Augustus sought for help from Christianity. It was the final straw for Greece, who by then had decided to bring Winstown down. They couldn't get there yet though, until Queen Isabella provided Greece with a means of getting the barbarian ships out of the water.

As the last defenders of Arpinum had fallen, fear of death gripped Augustus. He knew that the Greeks would try to get him. For them, he was the root of all evil. Could he not try to bargain with then, appeal to his religion which had roots in Greece as well? Determined, he walked towards the musketmen securing the city.

"Please, forgive us." the Caesar pleaded to the musketmen. "Christ preaches to forgive those who have wronged us... can you not forgive me for my mistakes, and leave me to rule this backwater? Does the entirety of the Roman people have to suffer because of this grudge?"

"Yes, indeed." The musketmen nodded. "Christianity does preach about forgiving your enemies even when they have wronged you."

Augustus breathed a sigh of relief.

The musketmen drew their weapons again. "But we are not Christians. We are Muslims, not Christians! And where Christianity preaches forgiveness... Islam preaches vengeance." With these words, the musketmen executed Augustus on the spot. The body was later buried in Rome, because Pericles did not want his enemy defiled even in death. Rome was finally punished for the belligerence they had shown in the past.

One last piece of the Roman enmity still remained, even after the death of Augustus and effective annexation of Roman lands. The holy city of Christianity. It was hard to reach and hard to take, but Winstown had on previous occasions shown hostility to Greece. Neither Pericles nor any of the other leaders on his continent gave the belief any credence and sought to destroy it, for the Christians sought conflict with Jewish, Muslim and Taoist authorities.

Greece's best troops were sent to destroy the city. It was a living hell for them: the city was in a cove unreachable by land, on a hill, and with formidable walls.

Nevertheless, the city still fell to the Greeks and their new inventions: if anything, the new rifle was a very efficient way of getting rid of the barbarians. After the defeat of the barbarians, the Greeks kept true to their religious leaders and burned down the city.

When word of that reached Pericles, however, he felt a sudden chill creep down his spine. While Pericles wanted nothing more than to eradicate his enemies from the earth, he realized his guilt over the situation. Did Winstown really have to burn? Was it really necessary to destroy that religion?

And then, words came out. "I should not have given that order."

A Jewish religious official present in the room rebutted: "On the contrary, Pericles. You have done your country a great service. They were simply too much a threat to national security to leave them be."

Pericles spoke softly. "No. I may have brought doom over Greece. My hypocrisy has blinded me... I blame the gods for doing the exact same thing I do upon others. I offered Augustus a second chance to redeem himself, and he threw it in my face because I had wronged him in the past in his eyes. I wronged the barbarians of Winstown in the past by capturing their leaders... and still got a second chance. And I, blinded by my hatred, gave the order to destroy them!"

"Yet you forget one crucial aspect. You are still here. You still live; they do not. You have, on both occasions, obtained victory."

"Is the world really that cruel that strength has to decide the matter of our victory? Can we not cooperate instead of keeping on fighting each other? Look at the other nations on our continent... Elizabeth is shunned for believing in another god, Stalin is backwards because of all the wars he fought, and even Isabella has taken up arms against her fellow Jews. War has wrecked this continent. That is why India is so far ahead!"

"Those vile heathens have likely made a pact with evil to obtain that."

"That is all?? That is all the explanation you can come up with? Get out! All of you!"

The others present left the room. Pericles sat still on his throne, staring in front of him, his mind blank. The only words that came out:
"What have I done??"

Spoiler For the gods, OOC :
The repercussions of Pericles' actions in this set will likely determine the way of ascension he will strive for. You are able to nudge him towards a certain way of victory.

Attachments

• Pericles AD-1650.CivBeyondSwordSave
    499 KB · Views: 74
Changes (NFPE):
Spoiler :
*Removed Christianity from all old world cities.

*Added Christianity to all of Pacal's cities.

*Added six mined grassland silvers at Mediolanum, with roads as necessary. Each of them will give 5 commerce when worked, adding up to 'thirty pieces of silver'. (I considered giving Pericles thirty silver resources, but that would have been a bit excessive, I think.)

*Made Asoka's capital the Christian holy city, and put the Church of the Nativity there (it's now worth about 35gpt raw).

Attachments

• DivInt4 WH AD-1650.CivBeyondSwordSave
    499.1 KB · Views: 58
Only when death drew near did Winston finally understand how he had been used. The lies, the tricks, the subtle manipulations - the Frog had fooled him from the start, keeping him weak and pushing him towards his own destruction.

Winston now knew that he had entered this world as an immortal of great power, and that it was only the Frog's deceptions which kept him from realising it. And in those early days, when he ruled the neanderthals and harboured dreams of building a great empire, the Frog had alternately encouraged and undermined him. Thus, his power grew only as fast as the treacherous amphibian had allowed it.

Moreover, Winston now realised why the Frog had let him gain any power at all - it was a parasite, feeding off his divinity, diverting his strength to its own purposes, and, ultimately, stealing his power for itself.

But as he lay buried beneath the ruins of the city that bore his name, the life force draining from him, Winston felt neither resentment nor fear. For in this, his final defeat, he took solace in the great truth he had discovered during his brief stay in Antium...

----------------------

Many hundreds of years earlier, whilst held captive by swarthy men in the Roman city, Winston had become aware of another divine presence close by. This was not like the gods and demons he had detected previously. Where they sought power, and acted to serve their own best interests, this being was driven by pure and unselfish motives. Humility, dignity in the face of adversity, and an unstinting devotion to the poor and weak - these were its defining features.

And as he sat, dejected and broken, awaiting transport to some unwelcome fate, the being reached out to Winston and touched his immortal heart with its message of hope and peace. No longer did he wish to recover his godly power, nor did he wish revenge on those who had wronged him in the past.

When he was taken back to his former home, and held secretly in a purpose-built temple beneath its streets (the Frog, it seemed, had been planning this from the very beginning), Winston carried the new faith with him. Even from his unseen prison, Winstown's founder was able to project its message to the people who lived in the city above.

His captors, agents of the Frog, had conducted dark and mysterious rituals several times a day over hundreds of years, continually diverting Winston's power to their master. But while the Faith of the Cross remained pure, and its influence continued to grow, he could not be broken, and the Frog could not take full possession of his divine strength.

However, all the while Winston knew that his enemies would seek to destroy or pervert the faith, and that he could not prevent this on his own. So it was that he reached out to Pericles, and sought to turn the Greek leader onto the path of peace and righteousness.

----------------------

Alas, it had not been enough. Pericles, though shaken by the ghostly form Winston projected into his bedroom, was too easily won over by the voices of hatred and division, their insidious lies blinding him to the true nature of the situation. Nevertheless, Winston could not help but wonder if his own bitterness towards Pericles had been decisive.

And so, as Greek troops set Winstown aflame, and the being once known as 'The Great Spirit of the Sea' faced his end, he finally purged the remaining traces of negativity from his dying heart. Drawing one last breath, he focused what little remained of his power on sending one more communication to Pericles, revealing the truths he had uncovered in his final hours, and carrying a simple message:

"I forgive you."

And then, with a look of peaceful serenity on his withered face, Winston died.

Criiiiiickk...

Crrrriiiickkkk...

CRACK

As the divine force that had held the ice around Winston faded away, the ice to the south of the city slowly melted away into the sea. The cold waters of the Northern Straits flowed down the east coast, rejuvenating the coastal lands and providing new foods for the fish stocks to the south.

----

Back in Athens, the room in which Pericles stood faded to a pale misty grey and out of the mist walked the God of Luck. "What you have done Pericles, is that you have let others lead you when you should have chose the path yourself."

"Look back into the years, Pericles. Rangar, destroyed on the whims of the God of Love. Yet was this not the best course of action? The Vikings, left unaccosted, would have grown to rival your own power. Destroying the Vikings created one big fish where there would have been only two minnows. Yet you did not choose the path yourself.

By defeating the Romans you have increased the power of Greece. However much you may scoff at pure military strength, others will not. Imagine Greece, squashed between the Vikings and the Romans. Would any leader listen to such a small nation with such little power? Of course not. You can speak softly, but you must carry a big stick.

Do not become disheartened by India. When you have received divine anger, they have received divine help. The technology gap is small and that will be bridged soon. Even though the power gap may grow, India is a peaceful nation at heart. It is unlikely that they will try to strike at you.

Pericles, you have listened your priests and been swayed by your heart when you should have thought out you strategy coolly, calmly and logically. Greece is the powerhouse of the continent but it will not remain so if you follow the addled advice of others. You can and will fulfill your destiny, Immortal. Look towards the skies. Reach out and take what is yours.

Yet what do I know? The aeons have mangled my memories of when I led a nation into greatness. Ignore my advice if you wish to. The future is yours to shape, not mine.

Until next time, Pericles, even if it is you who comes to me and not I to you.

Until next time...

Attachments

• DivInt4 Arsonist AD-1650.CivBeyondSwordSave
    499.1 KB · Views: 61
Top Bottom