Do you always follow the same order on social policies?

"Dirt, you cannot build ." - YODA

The map MAY give you a clue on Tzero of which SP tree you want to grab; you'll have to guess, and hope for luck to make your choice work . If playing with mods, these may point you to one SP or another (Liberty, Honor, Tradition) . These are the PRIMARY 3 choices, yet I've gone totally silly on some days, to see how deep a hole I can dig and still survive my sillyness (Piety>Honor starts) .

I LIKE fish-out-of-water starts, Time and Diplo- VCs OFF; random personalities, raging barbs ON, DISABLING the START BIAS, a few mods to test-drive (or not), and cut loose with, say, Mongols on Archipeligo or Tiny Islands; large Inverted world map with 36 CSs, 5 Alex's vs. Venice (who starts at Salt Lake) on high sea level; Sweden in a jungle start and the jungle chopping mod; and so on .

Try on Prince +, something idiotic and strange; AND MAKE IT WORK !!

SPs don't fall into A,B,C, ... combo's, get what you need to fit the game as it progresses, and have FUN while doing so !

Try the NQ mod. The policies are much more balanced and it's possible to experiment with just about any tree; while it's true that some are still better most of the time, piety as an opener is perfectly as viable I'm single player. But yeah, exploration played right is great, piety and honor can be openers, aesthetics is maybe even better than commerce, there's lots of balance to the social policies.

agreed with NQ mod. acken's mod is also great with making different policies work

I've gotten into a serious rut and am wondering how to get out of it.

Try opening Liberty instead of Tradition, and then run with it. Or Aesthetics instead of Commerce. Or play a game where Rationalism is totally off-limits.

I just finished a game of the month; science victory where one of the rules was you had to complete the Piety and Exploration trees. Exploration kind of sucked, (I like Exploration, but it wasn't suited to this map) but I was surprised at how strong Piety was in a science game. I had so much gold, and so much faith to buy great people, I didn't know what to do with it all (I left 10000 faith and 30000 gold sitting on the table when the game was over, and I spent a *lot* of both)

Without any mods loaded, I usually base my SP off of 3 things. 1, the civ that I am currently playing. Some civs naturally gravitate towards certain SP trees. 2, the victory condition that I am aiming for. It is definately true that certain SP, and Ideologies lean toward certain a victory conditions more than others. 3, the map also can dictate which social policies are more preferable over others.

Top Bottom