Do you go off on side quests?

Sherlock

Just one more turn...
Morocco wiped out Portugal. I liberated one of their cities and gave it back to them.

Everyone is pretty peaceful now and things are rolling along fairly stable.

But I'm fighting the impulse to liberate another Portuguese city from Morocco.

Do you ever go off on side tasks that don't really serve the big 'win the game' goal?

Khan went on a city state genocide in one of my games (like he always does). This time he was remarkably successful; he had captured SEVEN city states. I went to war with him and liberated all of them, just because he had gone way too far.

Khan went on a city state genocide in one of my games (like he always does). This time he was remarkably successful; he had captured SEVEN city states. I went to war with him and liberated all of them, just because he had gone way too far.

I always liberate city-states. AI's that attack a city-state are the lowest of the lows.

Sometimes. .. i don't always go ftw and when I don't, I try to rank up my units or take care of them for higher promotions. It was the experience that counted especially when I fail to august.

yes. I was playing a game last night with Poland(easy win civ for me and how I play, I typically am short culture...so....free policy and its money)

I didn't want to go to war at the time as I had just got out of a war where I had to take a capital, liberate a city, and make a peace deal for a city. I took a big loss

but then, I see Spain...the lowest ranked Civ in that game....ATTACK a city state FRIEND of mine. full force. catapults, ground units....ranged...I decided to protect the CS and see if they back off(it worked for me in the past). nope, they just apologized and basically said tough luck. they then took the CS.

I had no choice, I stopped what I was doing, was in freedom so I added 6 Foreign Legion units(not the direction I was going) for free, and go across the map to liberate that CS, and proceeded to pillage all of Spain, leaving them absolutely broke, without a worker, and with no improvements

sometimes I can't help myself. freaking spain acting a fool

I don`t call that side quests. I was thinking you meant something you get given which had me puzzled.

If I feel a Civ needs help and I can do it, I might... just another day as a ruler...

If a "side quest" is defined to be something that doesn't help you win, I regard that a weakness in my game that I need to work on discontinuing. But if it's simply a quest not central to my strategy, yes, I do that all the time. CS quests can lead me off on a tangent, but if my influence is already at 150 or I move my entire army near a CS just to complete a bully quest, some priorities are out of whack. An obsession with barb hunting can be the same. But then again somebody out of the blue might propose to go to war together, and I'm like, Hey yeah! Why pass up a good opportunity to profiteer?

I was thinking of CS "quests" as well, and I rarely entertain those. I won't build a wonder specifically for them or bully another CS - especially if I think I need it later- but if they want a barb camp destroyed and it fits my plan, most certainly.

I played The role of Superpower with The Maya in my game. I was in the freedom order and I saved my friend Persia from annihilation. He was being conquered by Rome. Who was the China to my US. Arguably not on my level but quite threatening.

They were on a whole different continent but Rome had taken all but 2 cities. I only had an army good for defense but not attacking. I could have sat by and watch the autocrat take 1 of only 3 Civs in the Freedom order. But with Persia gone Rome would be a legit threat.

So because my army was so much more advanced I sent about 5 units out to take back both Persian cities. Following that I pushed into the Roman heartland to take one of his cities. I only needed one in the center of the continent. It was a great launching point for attacking any threat on that continent and from keeping Rome away from Persia. My bombers could reach any major city from there as well. After I took it I was 5 tiles away from Rome who was eager for peace.

Following the war I knocked him down a peg, and became the exclusive military power in the world. It delayed my science victory but it was fun to do with fewer yet more advanced men on the ground.

Top Bottom