Domination victory without Warmongering?

Another way to get less warmonger points is to bait your target into declaring war. Settle unnecessarily close to them, surround their borders with their military, denounce, denounce their friends, steal their CSs, send in your religion, do whatever you can to piss them off and they will declare war on you.

Unfortunately you still get a WM penalty to take cities even though you are the defender.

There are two theoretical ways of winning the domination victory without getting the warmongoer penalty (but I haven't seen it happening in real game).
1. You ally CS, gift them tons of units and hope they will somehow conquer your opponents (you also have to rely on the civs DoW you, as declaring war by itself causes other civs to dislike you).
2. You rely on the prerequisite, that domination victory goes to the player who is the last to keep control over his own original capitol. Let's say you've got 3 civs including yours. Civ A takes the capitol of civ B and civ B takes the capitol of civ A - who wins domination victory - civ C. A variant of this option might be - Civ A takes the capitol of civ B and you take the capitol of civ A in one turn after DoW civ A - game ends, no warmongoer penalty.

What if you conquer two cities in the same turn and liberate one of them? Could that be a way to avoid warmonger penalty and so to say conquer one city for free?

2. You rely on the prerequisite, that domination victory goes to the player who is the last to keep control over his own original capitol. Let's say you've got 3 civs including yours. Civ A takes the capitol of civ B and civ B takes the capitol of civ A - who wins domination victory - civ C. A variant of this option might be - Civ A takes the capitol of civ B and you take the capitol of civ A in one turn after DoW civ A - game ends, no warmongoer penalty.

Note that this only works (if it ever can be made to work) in vanilla and G&K. The domination victory condition in BNW was changed to require all original capitals be controlled by the same player.

It is entirely possible to win a domination game without warmonger penalties for the vast majority of the game although to a certain degree it depends on a bit of luck as to how possible it is.

The first thing you need to do is try to get AI's to DoW you which means you don't get warmonger score for DoWing yourself.
You can encourage this by having a smaller military settling close to them, breaking promises, spreading your religion to them if they have their own religion, bottling them in so they have no where to expand, making friends with their enemies etc. Basically annoy them in any way you possibly can.

Liberate as many cities as possible when conquering (this is the real key). If you go to war with a warmonger who has take other cities then use those cities to offset your warmonger score. To a certain degree this is where the luck comes in as you need an aggressive civ with weak neighbours they don't like so hopefully they will warmonger by themselves or in the worst case be happy to DoW other civs if you pay them so you can then liberate those cities at a later date for good boy points.
The best way to do this is not just to liberate willy nilly but liberate only what you need at a certain time to offset your warmonger score. I usually take out an opponents army then go straight for their capital which i keep myself and any other cities i really want then just stay at war with them to farm xp off any other cities and any units they build until my next war. If they still have a number of cities that can be liberated you can easily DoW someone else and take a number of their cities without any warmonger score by liberating cities from your previous war you hadn't already captured as you capture cities from your new opponent.
When staying at war with someone you can also keep their border cities at zero HP and because you have wiped out their army very often their neighbour will DoW them and move in to take the city. Which means you can then DoW that civ and liberate that city.

So in essence you want to set up as many cities as possible to be liberated by you as you warmonger. In my last game i didn't have any warmonger score until i took my last too opponents who were game long friends and then i didn't care as i was just wrapping up the game so didn't bother with liberating.
What i do actually tend to do i liberate when someone mentions early signs of warmongering because as far as i know you can't get minus warmonger score so if your score is at zero and you liberate a city you get no benefit so you want to ensure your actually getting benefit from it as as there is no representation of your warmonger score until civs start mentioning it i wait until they do so, always having a city at zero HP waiting to be liberated at any point so i can capture a city, check the diplomacy for signs of warmonger hate and liberate a city on the same turn if necessary.

Top Bottom