Downloads Database Migrated

More permission issues: Cannot access the download database (also the gallery).
Independent permission issue: If the download DB is really working, then it's only accessible for logged-in members (but should be available for everyone).

The download for this worked http://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/era-buildings.24511/ except that the civ5mod file is being given a wierd numeric prefix that the average user is not going to expect.

Especially since my instructions are to look for a file called era_buildings__v_13.civ5mod instead of a file called 23216-era_buildings__v_13.civ5mod

It also worked even though the button for the download appears greyed out (which would normally make one think it is not available)

Moderator Action: Moved this and TheJ's post to the Database Download thread as they are related to it. leif
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like all my files that were uploaded to the database are restored, but any that were links to downloads on another site (because they were too big to upload to CFC) are still missing. Will the latter category be restored as well?

A few other things I've noticed:
  • All the 5 star ratings have been lowered to 4 stars.
  • Comments are gone? Personally I'm not too bothered by this as they were a pain to monitor, but others might be.
  • I noticed there is a 'Latest Reviews' page, but I can't find anywhere to make such a review.
Looks like a great new system overall though. Version history and the ability to watch resources and categories is fantastic!

Is there any way to bring back the old browser for the downloads? I wish I had a picture of it, if I knew this was going to happen I would've taken screenshots of the old version. Basically, I would go to the downloads database from the home page, and select the option to view it separate from the forums. This way I could see an image preview to the left, as well.

Is the Download Database only accessible from now on if one is logged in ?
Edit: Also why the heck do I have to write a review before I'm allowed to rate a Download
I have enable access for Unregistered users now. But to download stuff, they need to be logged in.

Props on the Downloads Database restoration! :woohoo:A key part of CFC!

I also see the numerical prefix that LeeS noted. My guess is it might be related to the version support (which is cool, it'll be nice to have that baked-in), but it would be nice if the most recent version at least didn't have the prefix.

I also noted that the link in Xyth's sig for History Rewritten is not working currently. It looks valid and HRW is big enough that I'd expect it would still be there, so I'm guessing that might be a migration-link-redirecting issue?

Going to take a bit to adjust to the navigation on the left, but I can see it being useful. I do wonder if Xenforo supports expanding a category without reloading the whole page? Ex. I click on Civ III Downloads, the page reloads, click on Unit Graphics, the page reloads, click on Medieval Units, the page reloads... with vBulletin where all categories were visible from the start (which to be fair was messy in its own way for the Civ versions with a lot of sub-categories), it was just one click/page load to Medieval Units. I can think of how that could be programmed in a couple ways, but alas I don't work for XenForo and don't know if they have that option.

Going to have to play around with the shiny new options... that "More Resources From [author]" on the right is a nice touch too. I do agree that the download button should probably be a different color since the gray looks almost disabled. Not sure if green would be a good idea since a lot of fake download buttons on the web are green... I don't know if it would be possible to have that match one of the theme colors?

Noticed it before the official announcement; that's a lot faster turnaround than I expected! :clap:

Speaking of file migration, there were several downloads pages linked off the old site front that had content not duly hosted through the Downloads DB (I got a lot of old Civ2 scenarios through them); what are the plans for moving those?

Edit: Also why the heck do I have to write a review before I'm allowed to rate a Download
Might be a form of flood control. Don't know what it's like on staff's end, but I wouldn't object to a screening process. Some people have had problems with ratings trolls.

I have enable access for Unregistered users now. But to download stuff, they need to be logged in.
Please tell me this can be changed. I despise sites that do this.

I've got to say a few things here. And knowing me it'll probably sound a bit ranty so i apologise ahead of time. I also apologise if this isn't really the right thread for some of it but it's all really to do with the migration.

I agree with Thorvald about having to be logged in to see or use the site in any way. I've used this site for about 10 years, maybe more maybe less, but i only actually registered as a user so i could log in some time last year. I very rarely post in the forums as i just don't feel the need to. I do however, read a lot of stuff here, and download a lot of mods (for civ4 and civ5). It seems that to block a lot of the functionality to unregistered visitors to the site is incredibly unhelpful, and quite likely to prevent future civfanatics from being so inclined to join/visit. I'm aware there's a lot of work going on right now to address the problems that come along with the move to the new site and hopefully this will be one of the things that gets sorted out. Above all though, please make it clear to visitors, just what they can't do without being logged in. I've been on this site several times a day for over a week and this is the 1st time i've logged in and the difference is shocking lols.

Only slightly related - props are sticks for holding things up (at least for most of us over a certain age!) and giving people aforementioned sticks for their hard work seems very strange to me. I'd settle for a good well done or a congratulations. But hey, i'm old like that.

I tried updating one of my existing files to a new version. The uploader won't accept a .civ5mod file type. Do I need to create a zip?
Can you see the difference in file size before and after zip? If there is a significant difference, it would still be good to compress the file into zip file.

Top Bottom