Eating Crow

jshelr

Warlord
Bought Civ V when it first came out and was disgusted. Horsemen power ruined the ability of the game to create any interest.

So, I didn't give it a chance until the latest expansion.

I have to say it is interesting now. The late game is better than Civ IV.

But the early game in Civ IV still wins the race, IMHO. Cities are pretty hard to capture in Civ V and players find it easy to defend with few units.

Anyway, I'm enjoying it. Maybe they can find a way to marry the interesting early game in Civ IV with the later game features in Civ V.

Not that anyone cares. But I take back my posts right after Civ V came out :)

I find cities prohibitively difficult to capture in the early game as well. I think the removal of much of the gold from the early eras was a great change but had the (I suspect unintended) effect of rendering early war much more difficult and much less profitable.

At least allow unwalled cities to be vulnerable. I actually think it might be worthwhile to develop a system where defense buildings are differentiated so as to grant different defense bonuses. Perhaps the wall could grant a flat out defense bonus and without it things like warriors and their kin could en masse actually take a city. Castles grant the ability to attack uints within one hex of a city. The next one would extend the range to 2 and bump the health and the last one can do something else. This last bit is just some rough brainstorming and may not actually be viable but it could help to solve the problem of non-existent early war and the might-as-well-wait-for-artillery phenomenon.

Nonetheless, I do think a change needs to be made to allow war to be a more viable option again.

You guys need to give Assyria or the Huns a go. They excel at taking cities early, and the Assyrians even get technology for doing it.

Standard infantry units could really use a buff in general, or at least a buff when attacking cities. At the moment the best strategy is to just bring a mass of ranged units, knock the city down to 0 HP, then take it from the sea or with a horse unit.

Bought Civ V when it first came out and was disgusted. Horsemen power ruined the ability of the game to create any interest.

But the early game in Civ IV still wins the race, IMHO. Cities are pretty hard to capture in Civ V and players find it easy to defend with few units.

These two statements are funny, because it was partially the 'uproar' about horsemen that made cities so hard to cap. It really came in when G&K came out and they re-worked combat but it was the initial horsey issues that sent them on that path, IMO. Too bad you bailed so fast, there were some serious patches that improved the vanilla game fairly quick after release.

And to the post above, 'eating crow' is an expression meaning to admit you were wrong or mistaken.

You quit Civ 5 because of... horsemen?

Did you know about... pikemen? Heck, even spearmen?

Glad you somehow managed to find your way back from that massive disappointment. :rolleyes:

The OP is right, in a way... Horseman were WAY too powerful when the game originally came out. The easiest strategy to win any game was to do a horseman rush. It was ridiculously easy to conquer with horseman early on.

The OP bailed too fast though, as they nerfed horseman in the first patch, I believe.

Non capitals aren't too hard to cap, it's really only the capitals that are impossible.

Crow tastes alot like pigeon, stuffed with spiced rice, you'd never know you were eating a different bird.

Crow tastes alot like pigeon, stuffed with spiced rice, you'd never know you were eating a different bird.

If I knew, I'd puke. Crows and ravens partake of a lot of carrion. I don't eat buzzard, either.

There were a couple other variations to winning civ 5 vanilla day 1 of release:

1. Build 2 archers.
2. DOW whoever.
3. Camp your city closest to them.
4. As their forces trickle in 1 at a time, shoot them.
5. Build 2 cav.
6. Win

There was another version:
1. Expand to about 3 cities
2. Build libraries in all cities
3. Put workers in every library
4. Bulb GS to get to swords ASAP
5. Conquer the planet

5. Conquer the planet

If you did this as Rome, you basically pummeled anything in your way... 2 libraries would be built faster because of the UA, and the Legion marched across the planet taking cities at will.

There were a couple other variations to winning civ 5 vanilla day 1 of release:

1. Build 2 archers.
2. DOW whoever.
3. Camp your city closest to them.
4. As their forces trickle in 1 at a time, shoot them.
5. Build 2 cav.
6. Win

5. Conquer the planet

Vanilla was so long ago that swords were actually useful! :lol:

Top Bottom