El-J 03 ~ Going Rogue, AoI Style

Well THAT is sure NOT going to happen when I'm one of the Russian commanders under comrade Brucha's powerhouse. ;)

Nobody stood a chance. If memory serves we had it on the hardest setting. Nobody can resist the will of the Kaiser!

lurker's comment: Have to go along with previous suggestions and recommend the Italians for you guys. Good luck!

just trying to let the dust settle some in the regular AoI thread. by this i mean that i want to try and fix any small-ish error/s before launching. i would think that we can launch within a week or so.

also, i'm down with the Italians if that is the consensus :) never really played extensively with them. most certainly a challenge as their ground units are not too appealing (although they have pretty nice sea and air units).

Just my two cents is that the Italians will be slow to start with if they are to do anything later on in the game, they will have to take some chances in that they need to build as much in the way of improvements and culture to start with in order to get into the lead science race wise, etc. On top of that, they will be handing the gold out due to other nations threatening them.

I am ok with all this and turns will be fast for awhile as it will mostly be "what improvement am I building next" and moving the workers along. If folks want something that starts with more of a bang, I think the US could be the way to go.

I've played Italy in AoI3.0 (Demigod or Deity equivalent, can't remember), and I don't think they're much fun in a SG (or anywhere else!). Only AoI game of 10 or so I didn't finish, being clearly in the lead.

While it was really interesting to get them started (lending cash everywhere, to rush stuff + beat on France very early for Marseille and their North African holdings), it was outright boring from midgame once I had a suitable empire. It takes ages to get enough RM, and war...your mid+lategame units don't have a dent on their French, German, English or US counterparts, so it was all about insane amounts of artillery.

US or Japan offer a lot more fun and viable winning chances.

Just my 2c.

Doc T--Great seeing you around! Thanks for the insight and this is especially helpful coming from someone who has played and taught many of us the finer points of this game.

That said I'm inclined to take his recommendation and consider one of the other options. SG's should be about the flare for the dramatic, story telling and fun. Playing at a harder level with one of the better civs would be my call.

I personally love Italy and played several games as them in 3.0, but I like overcoming military inferiority with superior tactics and artillery in my games so if you don't I could see this not being great. I'd vote for Japan, then- you still have tons of options for expansion with few areas to defend and industrial potential in your homeland, and you also get better military and comparable naval ability, and the advantage of being very close to your colonial areas.

I'v It takes ages to get enough RM, and war...your mid+lategame units don't have a dent on their French, German, English or US counterparts, so it was all about insane amounts of artillery.

To be fair, that's true for everyone else as well - the Big Four have the best units in the game. The other European powers are below them, then the non-Colonials. If you want to do a war with Italy, it seems to me like your best shot would be to go after Portugal/Spain or the Balkans; no one wants to go up against the Big Four, so if you're in the European theatre, you take the fringes. Going after Spain or Portugal would open up the possibility of tagging more Colonial outposts as well.

I am beginning to wonder if I should join this game. I have found myself with nothing to do quite often lately. And I think it would be great learning chance for me to play a succession game of a scenario, which all of the players love to play.

And as the other players are very experienced (from my point of view) they can give me advices on my playing. You would get one more player and I could get experience with SGs and some tips to normal games and the great scenario Age of Imperialism.

I am curious if this is ok with the "elders" of AoI and SGs. :)

Well, it's likely that you'll be accepted, as El Justo wanted a larger roster in the OP. I do remember reading somewhere that someone wanted to hold off until the bugs got ironed out, or something. ... And you should note that there's usually a few days between posts as well.

Arexander--From my perspective you'd be more than welcome to join in. Playing in SG's is how I improved my game. If you're not very experienced it would probably be a good time to figure out what everyone's playing skill is so we can slot players accordingly. You'll learn more by being set up and followed by good players.

Don't be impatient though because SG's are made to learn and are set up so you can really focus on your turns. Hopefully, you'll learn quite a bit.

Personally, I've played in a lot of SG's, SGOTM's and SP in C3C. Though I still learn quite a bit playing with some of the top players here in the SG forum I'm comfortable playing at any level.

lurker's comment: I'm looking forward to this game. I love the discussion times... have at it gentlemen.

great to see some of the old heads in here :shifty:

of course, Arexander :) as Whomper noted, all are welcome. let me know if you're up and i'll put you in the lineup :D

as an SG note, i won't argue w/ Doc's analysis. playing as Italy would be dull at the beginning and would take a long time to get going. of course, i ain't bailing by any means. but the observation is accurate (Italy would be a good challenge).

i guess i would consider playing the US or Japan (or others for that matter). the only civ i would cross of the list is Germany and this is only b/c we played them in the last AoI SG. Japan and the US are probably the two most managable high end civs in the lineup. by managable, i mean that there is not a huge swath of colonial real estate to manage from the start (GB is real intense and France is far flung too).

anyhow, i'm open to discussing our civ further if needed.

re launch date: i'm going to shoot for this weekend coming up or the next weekend after that (day after x-mas). which works better? i know people travel and are away. so post an availability note if you can :cool: thanks.

offtopic to Kly and Whomper: halladay in philly for a physical :eek:

I'll be in SD from Dec. 28th-3rd to watch my "Bigger Red" AZ Wildcats play vs. a boy named Suh and his Nebraska Cornhuskers. Rose Bowl is a possibility too. :)

OT: Oh oh...that would be quite staff El J. :eek:

Top Bottom