Enemy great prophets

Marvin86

Chieftain
Pacal keeps sending great prophets over to convert my holy city and its annoying as hell. He's been "friendly" with me all game but is it worth DOWing to capture the great prophets? Also If the GP has already spread religion once I can't even settle it, so what would i be able to do with them?

If you're Sweden, you can gift them to city-states, which is fun. Also, if you plant an inquisitor in or adjacent to your holy city, they can't spread religion there.

If you're Sweden, you can gift them to city-states, which is fun. Also, if you plant an inquisitor in or adjacent to your holy city, they can't spread religion there.

Thanks i didn't know about the inquisitors preventing spreading, i thought they were only used to remove number of religious believers

The Inquisitor needs to be either in the city itself, or in a tile immediately adjacent to the city center (preferably on a road, so he can zip to another city that is threatened by a GPr).

If you capture a GPr that has already spread at least once, you might as well delete him, to save on maintenance cost.

Yeah, but they make kind of crappy scouts subject to terrain movement penalties and can't move through other units. OK in a pinch, but slow.

Even with Inquisitors, the enemy GPs are annoying.

I while back I had six cities and only two inquisitors. I had to keep moving them back and forth to the other cities because three GPs were roaming in my territory.

Was very frustrating to say the least.

And in one city, I had to keep moving my units to block one GP.

Finally, I was able to purchase more inquisitors, but those GPs roaming around was very tiresome.

The Inquisitor needs to be either in the city itself, or in a tile immediately adjacent to the city center (preferably on a road, so he can zip to another city that is threatened by a GPr).

If you capture a GPr that has already spread at least once, you might as well delete him, to save on maintenance cost.

AI great prophets will NEVER try to convert a non-holy city if you have a religion.

Anyway, the best thing to do is just to make some scouts really quickly and surround your holy city until you have enough faith to get an inquisitor.

Yes, I recommend plopping down an Inquisitor in your HOly City, it's a great strategy.

And I saw Pacal camping his damn Prophet on my borders. so frustraing, I finally ended up getting my religion back (he picked the increased pressure belief and dominated, he quickly procceeded to convert my HOly City so I was left with NO cities of my religion, I ended up rage quitting because I misplaced a city xD)

I always try to keep an inquisitor in my holy city but I do not always have one there and have declared war to prevent conversion from time to time. If I do, I hope to get one that hasn't been used yet so I can use it to upgrade a tile. If not, I'll either send it to scout or use it convert other holy cities. A GP doesn't need open borders to scout so while it doesn't have the terrain benefits of a scout, you can go into anyones empire to scout. I'll use it to convert other AI's HCs to mess up thier faith production so that they have to buy stuff with thier faith to use on thier own city instead of for converting other people's cities.

The nice thing about Holy Cities is that they flip back fairly quickly. And I have seen rivals use GProphs on cities other than Holy Cities.

If you have some spare units, you can surround and trap the GP. I have done this before. I hate them so much, so it's like a mini game to trap the bastards.

Using units to roadblock GPs worked too. I had a game where I hearded the Swedish GP into a hex surrounded by five mountains tiles and blocked him in with an Inquisitor. He sat there for the rest of the game.

I've kinda lost patience with the spread of enemy religions. I've become a ruthless warmonger in response. You can't spread your filthy religion if all adherents are dead.

What if i have two neighbors: Siam and Aztec. I capture Siamese prophet, and, instead of deleting it, am sending it to Tenochtitlan to spread some Siamese religion.. So, i wonder, will this action create negative diplo modifier between Siam and Aztec?

Dont be to quick to bock foreign religions. Say that Catherine is spreading Christianity and that she chose Cathedrals as one part of it. Once your city converts, build a Cathedral before flipping it back. I tend to keep a prophet around just for flipping converted cities.

What if i have two neighbors: Siam and Aztec. I capture Siamese prophet, and, instead of deleting it, am sending it to Tenochtitlan to spread some Siamese religion.. So, i wonder, will this action create negative diplo modifier between Siam and Aztec?

Nope. You will be the one Monty berates for proselytizing, since the offending prophet had your name on it (even though it was spreading Rammy's religion).

If you like science or diplomatic victories, one advantage of saving Great Scientists is that they are very cost effective Great Prophet linemen.

AI great prophets will NEVER try to convert a non-holy city if you have a religion...
Not true. AI tend to prophetbomb big cities.

Dont be to quick to bock foreign religions. Say that Catherine is spreading Christianity and that she chose Cathedrals as one part of it. Once your city converts, build a Cathedral before flipping it back. I tend to keep a prophet around just for flipping converted cities.
Agree..:) but u must have big faith per turn to convert that.

Not true. AI tend to prophetbomb big cities.

Agree..:) but u must have big faith per turn to convert that.

Yep AI will definitely use a prophet on a border city. If it's putting religious pressure on their capital, they seem to prioritize conversion.

Top Bottom