Epic and Marathon

ltccone

Prince
Does anyone else enjoy BNW in epic and marathon speeds? I play most games in epic, and a few in marathon.

I enjoy the longer games's effects on trade routes, exploration, and combat. Units are actually useful for more than a few turns before becoming obsolete.

Of course the games take longer for me to play, but to me that is not a factor.

It definitely changes how you have to view your defenses.

If you let yourself get behind militarily, it takes too long to recover in the event of an invasion.

On standard speed you can usually hold the AI off with what you have while you produce units to push them back.

I enjoy playing Marathon games. I enjoy getting immersed in each consecutive age. I also enjoy games that take more than a week to play out. It feels grander to me.

As the computer can't compete with an average player on the military part, playing longer games helps the humans (take two troops with "reach" and you can take all the cities 'til the deity level).

I exclusively play on Large/Epic and totally agree with you OP. I like it a lot.

Cheers.

I enjoy playing Marathon games. I enjoy getting immersed in each consecutive age. I also enjoy games that take more than a week to play out. It feels grander to me.

I agree with you 100%! I started playing Marathon speed games shortly after I got BNW (previously having played a lot of Epic speed), loved them and am now unable to play Standard speed without thinking, "This game's going way too fast!"

I also love the feel of marathon/epic games. I play mostly epic with a mod to increase research times and love it. My only gripe with epic was that the techs still came and went too fast. The mod all but solves that.

I constantly play Epic. Normal feels slightly too fast, Marathon slightly too slow - but then I did not give Marathon a real shot, I ended rather prematurely. Maybe I'll be a Marathon only player in the future, who knows, but currently Epic is Epic.

I prefer Epic so that the various units have time to shine without quickly being outpaced.

This does mean my games take much longer and I very rarely finish them though. :)

I like Marathon games, diety. Mainly because I like wars, long wars, and war with units before they are obsolte. Makes for great ancient and classical era wars. Always found it annoying that I would get chivalry, and before I could muster an army of knights, they'd be useless and i'd be pushing calvary. Then make 2 Calv, and be on to land ships..

I like marathon, even though waiting 3 times as long for units gets annoying when you need units NOW!.

Yes to both... I feel like standard is too... twitchy. I build an archer & 2 turns later I need to upgrade to gatling gun.

I love the early-mid game on marathon, it just seems to become so slow in modern+ ages =/

You feel the same way I do. :)

Another reason I like it is because it makes civs with Ancient and Classical age bonuses more fun to play.

I think marathon also makes more sense on larger map sizes. Otherwise it's too far to get anywhere

Top Bottom