Eurasia in War

This is an excellent story! Alot of times you see in depth naratives for stories, but when I was looking through the stories I though to myself, "it would be nice if someone wrote a history about a certain conflict rather than narrative." Well guess what, I found it!

Thanks.

thanks and nice you like it! I try to make this something very different from other stories. Not too much characters and more like a history book story. I have not found too much this kind of stories from the forums this far so I try to keep my own style on this one :) Anyway, the next part is on it's way so don't worry, there will be more to come :)

Battle of Stuttgart

On the morning of 6th of March the Chinese artillery opened up on the German positions. For two hours the artillery shelling went on turning the German positions into rubble. Though the artillery barrage was colossal the German machinegunners and other troops were well fortified and received not as much damage as Chinese thought. When Liu, the commander of the first Chinese Army, ordered his troops to assaul the first defence lines they were confronted with a huge counter artillery barrage from the German rear positions. The First day of the Battle of Stuttgart saw bloody fighting as the Chinese soldiers tried to take German positions. Losses on both sides were huge.

In the East, Xiaoping finally reached Nidaros on 10th of March but soon realised that his reduced size army was not enough strong to take the city. He then started to lay siege on the city to weaken the defenders. Mao had promised that Xiaoping would have his army back in full numbers after the Stuttgart had been dealt with. So all that frustrated Xiaoping could now do was to keep his positions and wait for the reinforcements. At the same time Hindenbrau was regrouping his forces in the sieged city and he also was waiting for reinforcements.

After a week of fighting in Stuttgart Chinese had made some progress but the Germans didn’t give anything for free. Houses had to be taken one by one and the German artillery shelling was relentless. On the third week of March the death toll of Chinese troops reached staggering 100 000 men but Mao kept the offensive going, there would be no retreat. On the German side the reserves were running low too, over half of the initial defence force lay dead or wounded. The City had become a grave for tens of thousands of men.

The attention of the whole world was now fixed on Stuttgart. Everyone sensed that this battle would decide the faith of the Central Eurasia. In London leaders of England were carefully waiting the news from the Stuttgart as it was agreed that as soon as the Germans were beaten England would launch another offensive to North in the Western front. Mao had tried to persuade England and Russia to launch the offensive at the same time as the Chinese but England was so keen to keep a good denfensive force in Moscow that they didn’t want to risk it in an offensive. Although Germans had concentrated every available division in Stuttgart, the defensive force in Smolensk was left untouched. The threat that the English forces would launch an offensive was so great that even Bismarck was not willing to take it.

In the end of March as the battles still raged on in Stuttgart more bad news for Germans came from the far West. France had fought the war against America for almost two years now but not too much progress had been made. But during the March, Americans had started to gain the desive advantage to turn the war against the French. On 26th of March French lost the city of Avignon and Napoleon sent an urgent message to Bismarck that France was losing the war and that he would be forced to make a cease fire if no help would be gained from the Germans. Bismarck replied that it was impossible to send any German troops at the moment but if only could he fight for a month or two then there would be help. Bismarck himself knew that it was an empty promise. If the battle of Stuttgart was lost there would be no help for France. Losing France as an ally would lead even faster to the downfall of the German Empire as the vast Western front would then be exposed to the American forces.

On the 6th of April, after a month of fighting, Chinese were on the edge of breaking the German defences in Stuttgart. They now held over 80 % of the city but the cost had been terrible. Chinese first and second armies were exhausted and running low on suplies. The Vikings had not provided the nessesary suplies and help that the Chinese had asked for because the war had already ruined towns and vast areas of the Viking countryside. Suplies then had to be sent all the way from China and England, lines stretching over 1500 km. This shortage of food and especially the shortage of ammunition was starting to slow down the huge Chinese forces more than the opposing German soldiers.

Situation in the beginning of April

Mao’s determination to take Stuttgart and completely destroy the German Army Group Centre was now widely critisized by Chinese generals. General Liu strongly stated that it would be best to leave Stuttgart behind, regroup the forces, and then continue the offensive North towards Hamburg and Essen. He was sure that if a little break was given to his men to gather strenght and supplies he could penetrate the German lines on both sides of Stuttgart. This change in plan how ever didn’t suit Mao’s own plans and he was sure that if the city was already 80% taken it wouldn’t take too much effort to take it completely.

In Berlin German High Command was still very concerned about the situation, the whole situation hang on its balance. This far the battle had gone better than the Germans had expected. They had expected to hold the city for maximum of two weeks but the men had shown extra ordinary skills and courage to fight in the ruined city. The artillery had also proved to be more efective than had been hoped. Eventhough the city was still partly in German hands it was not known how much more forces the Chinese could throw in the battle. Some new troops could be moved to the city but at given rate the Chinese would take the whole city in a week. In Nidaros the cituation was not better, Hindenbrau was still surrounded and eventhough he had formidable defence positions it was not known how strong the Chinese third army was. The German High Command was unaware about the Chinese movement of troops from Nidaros front to Stuttgart.

On the 8th of April Field Marshall Weinkell sensed that the Chinese forces were beginning to slow down considerably. In many sectors the enemy was stopped and in some sectors succesful counter attacks were mounted. Supply situation among Chinese divisions had reached the critical point and in some units only one clip of ammunition for one day was given to the soldiers. The Chinese artillery had also lost its power to pound German positions and was now firing only few times in a day. In a contrary the ever present German artillery was grinding the already low morale of the Chinese soldiers. The turning point of the battle was getting nearer.

Mao was furious that the battle was turning against him and demanded counter attacks but the army high command had to answer that there was no way of continuing the offensive without supplies and reinforcements. Generals suggested that a tactical withdraw and regrouping would give a chance to launch a new better planned offensive in the beginning of May. Mao had nothing of that and ordered that every unit had to fight for the last man. No withdrawal was issued. The battles continued through March and the already weak Chinese took heavy losses during their slow retreat from Stuttgart. German forces had also taken considerable damage but they now sensed that the Chinese were on the run and the morale was boosted. They also benefited from fresh troops which were arriving nearly every day.

In the East Xiaoping had learned that the battle for Stuttgart had turned against the Chinese and he knew that there would be no reinforcements. He made some attacks to South and expanded the bulge he had made, but after the Germans had survived the critical moments in Stuttgart they were able to concentrate more forces to East and Xiaoping was pushed back. The encirclement of Nidaros was broken on 20th of April.

On 2nd of May the Stuttgart was once again back on German hands. This was an enormous plow to Mao and he finally yielded to agree with the generals, and the exhausted armies were withdrawn across the Seelow Plateau back in Viking territory. Xiaopings left flank was now exposed and he also had to withdraw to Skagerak forest.

The battle of Stuttgart was the biggest battle the whole war had seen, nearly a million men took part in the fighting and the casulties on both sides were huge. Chinese had lost more than 150 000 men and Germans some 90 000. The city of Stuttgart and it’s near by towns were almost completely destroyd, Nidaros area had also taken considerable damage. Eventhough the Germans ultimately won the battle of Stuttgart, the Chinese were still left with a large army (The remnants of Chinese first, second and third armies were put together to form the Chinese Expeditionary Army) in Lödöse area. If this Army was reinforced in the coming months it could well launch a new offensive against Stuttgart or Nidaros.

ok, here is the update but it is missing one picture, I try to make the picture work tomorrow. Enjoy :)

Germans on the move again

When the Chinese offensive in the Centre sector (Operation Grand Plan) wound down in May 1924, the strategic initiative briefly swung to the Germans. Given the reduced manpower of German land forces at the time, it was believed that the best way to take advantage of the initiative would be to attack in the West, against the smaller English and Russion forces, rather than against the still vast Chinese forces. German intelligence had received numerous reports that Krasnoyarsk region was weakly defended and that the English and Russian troops were mainly focused on the Moscow reagion. This weak spot in the defence line induced German High Command to come up with a bold plan to turn the whole war once again back in their favor. Operation Sissle, named after a Queen that had lived in 17th century, would smash through the English and Russion lines in Krasnoyarsk continue to Yaroslav and then finally to Orenburg encircling the whole Chinese Expeditionary Army before it could be reinforced.

The Initial plan for Operation Sissle.

Some generals saw this plan as a huge gamble, but it once again appealed to Bismarck who was desperate to take back the honour of the German Army. This grand encirclement would leave the bulk of the Chinese forces without any reinforcements and supplies and would finally end the threat against Stuttgart and Nidaros. German 4th army, now led by General Archen, would deliver the main blow against Krasnoyarsk and it would be assisted by additional 5 divisions moved from Stuttgart and Vladivostok. To make all the preparations it would take over a month before the offensive could be launched. The beginning date for the operation was fixed to 5th of June.

In Russia the leaders of China and England were meeting due to the failure of Chinese forces in Stuttgart. Mao was once again furious that England and Russia had let him down and had not provided any help. England’s prime minister replied that the Chinese failure had been a result of wrong decisions made by Chinese high command. This arguing went on whole depate and more important things like how the defence would be organized was left nearly undiscussed. The disorder and arguing between England, Russia and China lead to the situation where no one really knew who was responsible for the defence line in the Harsch Mountain area. This would have catastrofic consequences in the coming months.

Operation Sissle, known as the Battle of the Harsch Mountains, begun on 6th of June in a scorching summer heat. The additional 5 division from Vladivostok and Stuttgart opened up the offensive by attacking southWest, thus clearing a corridor for 4th Army to push against Krasnoyarsk. The Offensive took the defending English and Russian troops completely by surprise and they quickly had to withdraw towards Krasnoyarsk. Though the 4th Army was not much superior in numbers they were fitted with the newest and best equipment the German Army could offer.

In Berlin Bismarck declared that this was the end of retreat and humiliation. “The German people have suffered greatly in the past montsh but we have once again proved that we can yield but we will never give up for our righteous place in Eurasia!” Then he noted that the Germans were once again just defending their rights and securing their fronts. For the people in Northern Russia this came as a devasteting blow, they had already adapted to the idea that Germans were beaten, and that they could return back to their homes to live a normal life. But they were wrong. The Germans were on the move again and the Northern Russia would once more be turned into a raging battlefield.

On 10th of June Germans captured the important mountain passage of Elbrus East of Krasnoyarsk. This passage was the only usable route between Krasnoyarks and Lödöse, and this way the Germans denied the Chinese a chance to interfere with the operation. Krasnoyarsk was overrun two days later with a simultaneous attack from the East and West. Without rest the 4th Army continued the offensive towards Priphet hills in the South, the last natural obstacle between them and Yaroslav. Part of the additional divisions was left in Krasnoyarsk region to secure the rear of the 4th Army and part was sent westwards to secure areas North of Yaroslav. The cunning idea of General Archen was to leave a minimal force to deal with Yaroslav and take the main army through a narrow corridor between Harsch Mountains and Yaroslav to delivere a surprising blow against Orenburg area.

Situation on 14.6.1924 and the German plans for taking Orenburg.

English 1st Army still deployed in the area had taken serious battering in the first stages of the operation Sissle. They had not anticipated this scale of offensive just month after battle of Stuttgart. Losing Krasnoyarsk on 12th of June was a disaster for the morale of the troops but the real problem was the speed of the German troops. Large amount of 1st Army’s troops were still positioned West of Krasnoyarsk when Germans were already beginning an attack towards Yaroslav. This way the English troops couldn’t take part in the fightings for Yaroslav and Orenburg. They were also finding it hard to stop the German right wing of the attack which was making its way towards southwest. As this was the situation, Russians were left alone against the superior German troops in Yaroslav and Orenburg.

On the morning of 17th of June, the Germans began assaulting Yaroslav and pounded the city with a heavy artillery barrage. The battle didn’t take very long as the inferior Russian troops quickly yielded against the German troops. Some of the 4th Army troops were already making their way towards Orenburg but they were facing increasing amount of resistance and some Chinese troops were also taking part in the fighting. So far the German losses had been relatively small but still it was starting to affect their advance. Supply lines were also getting longer and longer. Archen realized that he had made a mistake when attacking directly towards Orenburg. His troops were now bogged down in a fighting which was slowly grinding his offensive power away. On the 20th of June he had to halt the attack towards Orenburg when he was just some 100 km away from his final objective. He informed the German Hign Command that he would withdraw towards Yaroslav to wait for reinforcements and then launch the push against Orenburg. Or so was his plan, what he didn’t know was that the Chinese were planning a counter attack with fresh troops just 100km South of Orenburg. Once again the two gigantic forces would clash against each other in foreign soil to affect the outcome of the war.

Excellent installment. Those damn Chineese huh? What a turn around in the war. One question, over how many turns did this last installment take? What do you use to gague time?

Well, thats a good question. I just try to make the timescale realistic so I don't bond it to certain amount of turns. Basically I just make it up :) I don't remember exactly how long was that time period (last post) in turns but I would guess it was something like 5-7 turns. I can check that from a save if I remember.

I was thinking this time scale thing when I was writing the last chapter. It is maybe a little bit too short as it would be more realistic if the war had already lasted something like 2 years. (now only 1 year)

A small request to all of you who are reading this. If you could point out some main grammar mistakes or some other mistakes in the language that annoy you, it would be great. I'm trying to upgrade my english skills so it would be helpful :)

since you asked, you are using some word repetition. such as this: "Chinese first and second armies were exhausted and running low on suplies. The Vikings had not provided the nessesary suplies and help that the Chinese" you used the word "supplies" too much, and both sentences basically meant the same thing. There are some other examples too, but I have a lousy memory. :p

Yea word and sentence repetition are the only problems I see in your grammar and Im very surprised you are a non english speaker! Keep up the good work and Great Story!

Thanks for the feedback! I try to reduce repetition in the next parts :)

Well, it may take a while. I haven't started to write it yet and I'm very busy at the moment but hopefully I have time next week to write it.

Very good story so far. :)

I don't know if it is dead yet, I wrote a part of the story today but I'm finding it hard to make time for this as I have so much work to do. I have also been travelling lately. I also need a special state of mind when I'm writing and it has been little bit lost lately. I bought a very good book about WW2 last week so maybe I find my motivation from there once again. Don't lose your hope just yet :) and thanks for the support.

edit: oh, and there is not too much left in the story anyway so it would be nice to make this ready. I know that this will never be completely ready (as I said in the beginning of this thread) because the game is not completely played. Anyway I try to end this story in a way that it doesn't feel like it was left unready. or something :)

Top Bottom