Expansion Civilizations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I know I would like to see, but that isnt what I am going to see. In an 'official' expansion you will have quite a few from The middle east and Europe (surprise!) a handful of Native tribes from the Americas, and Korea. I dont think these are the best choices (American tribes?) but this is what you will see. There will be no Polynesians, Khmere/Siamese, Isreali (Well Maybe that one) I am trying to figure this XML thing out myself rather than wait for an expansion that will leave out many I would like to see. Oh you might see one more African Civ too.

arcady said:
[*]Kongo - a great African empire into the 1500s.

Finally! Somebody else other then me who want to see Kongo in the game!!! I salute you. :goodjob:

The Dutch should be implemented in CIV IV a.s.a.p.

After the world dominance by the Spanish and the Portuguese (where are they?) the Dutch explored the world and discovered many trade routes to the east and the west. The Dutch fought many wars against the Spanish, English, French and the German Bishops. Many wars were won particularly at sea, so the unique unit for the Dutch should be a naval sailing unit. Leaders: Willem van Oranje (founder of the Dutch state), Johan de Wit (regent during the English wars), or Queen Wilhelmina (modern ages).

One minor point of the Dutch history I do miss in CIV IV: slavery. The Dutch gained a lot by trading people (ok not nice, but a very significant part of the world's history). Nice scenario development when the Inca's for example conquer the Spanish and sell them as workers to the Aztecs....

Go for it!
Grtz,
Smithy

arcady said:
My list:

• Iroqoi - a major player in North America until the American Civil War era
  • Koreans - the hermit kingdom, land of the morning calm, that has been the battleground between China and Japan for 2000 years.
  • Maya - once a great meseoamerican civilization with a greater library than that at Alexandria until the Spanish found it.
  • Zulu - the story of South Africa is wrapped in this nation's fall.
  • Ethiopians - the only African power to never fall to Europe, and the home of the oldest Christian church's in the world, supposedly founded by Jesus' apostiles
  • Celts - the original people of the 'British Isles', whos modern descendants still fill out many of the ethnic groups there
  • Tibetans - once a military empire, now a pacifist people conquered by an agressive neighbor
  • Aboriginee - the absolute oldest 'people' on Earth.
  • Polynesians - founded a sailing legacy across the largest ocean on Earth, with little tech at all
  • Lakota (aka Souix) - once the greatest warrior culture in North America, until they were finally defeated in 1890.
  • Isrealites - From Abraham to David, most in the Western world know their story.
  • Anasazi - the Navaho word for 'ancients' - the long lost civilization that built a network of highways and cities across the southwest until mysteriously disapearing.
  • Siam - today Thailand they were once a great power in Southeast Asia and could do well to fill in an 'Asia game'.
  • Navaho - by the time of USA getting to the west, the Navaho descendants of the Anasazi were and still are the city builders. The city of Santa Fe, the oldest European city in North America, is in their region.
  • Ashanti - one of the great West African empires from 1670 until conquered by Europeans in 1902.
  • Kongo - a great African empire into the 1500s.
  • Songhai - Mali's great rival, conquered in the 1300s, it rose again in the 1500s until Morocco conquered it a century later.
  • Moors - A north African kingdom that once viably threatened to conquer Europe.
  • Toltec - the people who used Cortez to finally end the multigenerational war they had been having with the Aztecs, who were actually invaders from the north. Modern natives from the region around Mexico City are usually actually Toltec and not Aztec, and the feathered Serpent is the Toltec 'messiah god'.

I foresee two expan$ion pack$... ;)

It's cool to see how many of you voting for Viking/Scandinavia. I do myself. Not only because I am from Denmark, witch is one the four Nations the Vikings came from (Norway, Sweden and Iceland are the others), but also because it includes 4 nations that still exist but are not big enough to have their own civ in the game.

I don't know what I would vote for else. there are many good civs. to add, and they should have added them from the beginning

The only civilization I ever play (if in the game) is the Celts
The Celtic empire spread not just in Britain and Ireland, but from Spain to the Near East (even having travel to N.A.) and included the Gauls of Caesar, the Keltoi of the Greeks, and the Galatians of the Bible. The Celts are called the founding fathers of Europe and, unlike most civilizations, are still around today (Celtic languages such as Irish are the oldest European languages still spoken). Plus, coming from an Irish family, being forced to play as the British as a second best is not that welcome. Besides, it's more likely than some of the other suggestions (nothing against them, just unrealistic for mass appeal).

I also really like playing as the Vikings, being a Dubhghaill myself.

Oh, and a little thing, but it's 'Native Americans' not 'Indians', unless speaking of the people from India (on the subject, Inuit would be cool, as suggested)

MattJek said:
Can someone care to explain why Canada should be a civ? If Canada should be in it then why not South Africa, New Zealand or Montenegro for that matter
My guess is the justification is that a lot more people from Canada will likely be playing Civ 4 than people from South Africa, New Zealand, or Montenegro.... which makes sense to me, anyway.

For the person that said African civ.... and suggested Ottoman... well... the Ottomans emerged in Asia Minor, not Africa. At times the Ottoman Empire encompassed parts of North Africa but they weren't African civ. Something like Kongo, Abyssinia (Ethiopia), Songhai, Mhunhumutapa Empire (Great Zimbabwe) would be better for Africa.

But the Ottomans would make a good inclusion anyway along with the Dutch & Portugese.

New user, will look for the "introduce self" post as quickly as I can...

My list:
Vikings
Celts (I usually played with them in Civ2, if only because their town names were cool)
Canada :)goodjob: Hey, if the Americans get theirs...)

But what I would like to see most of all:
A Japanese leader that's less psychotic than Tokugawa. I'm tired of pwning the japs :nuke: :lol:
Maybe a leader with Cre/Org stats...

Babylonia, Maya, Carthage (or alternatively Phoenicia), Celts and Nubia.

It would also be nice to see second leaders for Rome, Greece, Egypt, Arabia and Japan.

Carthage. You need someone to kill Romans.

I'd like Zulu, Babylonians, and Cartherage, all of em were really some of my favorites, I also liked the Byzantines, dromons rule. Khmer or somthing would also be nice. Also Celts.

BTW, American Indians were never an empire in the old world way of thinking, they never owned any land and didn't even know the concept during their golden age, to them the land was shared, during wars they raided eachother's villages, stealing women, children, and food, but never occupied the land.

Dubhghaill said:
The only civilization I ever play (if in the game) is the Celts
The Celtic empire spread not just in Britain and Ireland, but from Spain to the Near East (even having travel to N.A.) and included the Gauls of Caesar, the Keltoi of the Greeks, and the Galatians of the Bible. The Celts are called the founding fathers of Europe and, unlike most civilizations, are still around today (Celtic languages such as Irish are the oldest European languages still spoken). Plus, coming from an Irish family, being forced to play as the British as a second best is not that welcome. Besides, it's more likely than some of the other suggestions (nothing against them, just unrealistic for mass appeal).

I also really like playing as the Vikings, being a Dubhghaill myself.

Oh, and a little thing, but it's 'Native Americans' not 'Indians', unless speaking of the people from India (on the subject, Inuit would be cool, as suggested)
It's not even British you are forced to play, it's English - which leaves hope that they might have plans for other British nations.

Oh and I gave up calling Native Americans that ages ago after hearing a famous NA activist saying that he preferred the term 'Indian' as it translates to 'In God'.

Big Bottom said:
It's not even British you are forced to play, it's English - which leaves hope that they might have plans for other British nations.

Oh and I gave up calling Native Americans that ages ago after hearing a famous NA activist saying that he preferred the term 'Indian' as it translates to 'In God'.

A) Ireland is not British, a slip on your part for sure but we're in to treacherous waters here
B) Living in Canada 10 minutes outside of a Mohawk reservation (making many of my friends Mohawk) teaches me NA or First Nations is better than Indian for all concerns
C) No, Canada should not be a civilization, because we have nothing unique about us beyond our British humour, and politeness (which I think would be hard to infuse into the game)
D) Has anyone considered the Minoan civilization? Amazingly strong economy but no interest in military, that would be pretty cool.

I don't know why there is so much concern over which civs are added, Firaxis should be focusing on making more civs playable at once in the patch. Civs can be made by modders, the hard coded 18 limit is annoying.

Netherlands and Portugal are a MUST for any discovery/exploration scenarios

Ottoman Empire is sorely missed

In addition to Iroquois, another NA tribe from plains or sw would be welcome

Maya are missing

Korea and a civ from indochina will round out asia

Ethiopia and Zulu would be nice

Byzantine would be a plus but already covered with Rome and Greece

Austria would be a good civ for some scenarios

I could do with or without Vikings, not really a civ per say

Not too keen on Israel but probably deserves to make it considering religions in the game

Carthage, A few African civs(Ethiopia, Zulu), Celts, Turks, Babylon, Khmer or something like that, some native americans. Basically to fill out all types. The problem I see with most people's wants are that they're basically the same civilizations just under different names. Like Sumer and Babylon. Same civ, just a different time and different capital city.

Xineoph said:
@Butter- There are tons of reasons to add the Hebrews/Israelis, i just said that with the introduction of religion it puts even greater pressure to put them in.

I hear ya, Israel definitely does have more than enough historical significance to be included, and I'd like to see them included personally. I suppose I'm just scared about the religion stuff being first put into this installation. Like the developers were, as shown in that disclaimer in the manual :lol:

But, it certainly seems like noone's gotten offended by religion, not most people, so I think there's no reason they shouldn't be in an expansion, definitely.

MattJek said:
Can someone care to explain why Canada should be a civ? If Canada should be in it then why not South Africa, New Zealand or Montenegro for that matter

I guess I'll field that, since I said I'd like to see them... It may seem blasphemous, but I feel they should be included at least for the fact that Canada's got a broad gaming population. I know the Civ series isn't about that, it's about historical accuracy, and by no means would I want it to "sell out", for lack of better termnology... but, as a casual gamer, I know if I were Canadian I'd like to see my country in the game, same for any country. Just my opinion, of course, and I saw a Canadian in an earlier post say he/she doesn't particularly care if Canada is included. As for historical significance, cause someone asked that, I like the idea that they became autonomous without war, hehe... What can I say, I like Canada :)

Edit: One other reason, one of Canada's leaderheads would probably be Sir John MacDonald, which is my name, except grossly mispelled. And I haven't been knighted yet, hehe

I think I better come up with some better reasons :mischief:

I'd like to see my nation here, but I fear it won't happen - we are too small. But I'll paste here something about our history ... maybe someone knows ;)
At least, I'll enjoy Celtic civilization to play ;)

In the first century B.C. a Celtic people called Boii settled in Bohemia. They were compelled by the Germans to emigrate and Bohemia was then occupied by the warlike tribe of Marcomanni, who moved westward at the time of the great migration of nations. The Slavic immigrants appeared in the sixth century and called themselves Czechs (Cechs) because their leader was so named (Cech). Therefore the name Bohemia, given to that country by Latin historians, is antiquated and geographically and racially incorrect, for it is derived from the name of a Celtic people.

For a brief period Bohemia formed a part of the great Moravian realm under Svatopluk. The Moravians, also a Slavic people, took their name from the river Morava, the largest river in Moravia. Svatopluk's rule (870-894) was followed by onslaughts of the Hungarians (Maygars) who devastated the country and from 1029 Moravia was united with Bohemia, either as an integral part of that realm, or as a fief ruled by margraves. In 1526 Moravia, with all the other Bohemian lands passed under the rule of the House of Hapsburg.

By the close of the ninth century the princes who ruled the Czechs had been converted to Christianity, mainly introduced by the Germans, while the Moravians were converted by the apostles Cyril and Methodius of the Eastern Church. In the tenth century Bohemia was under the rule of the dukes of Premysel, who acknowledged the overlordship of the kings of Germany. These dukes or princes elevated themselves into the rank of kings by the close of the twelfth century and were thus recognized by the German sovereigns, their state forming part of the Holy Roman Empire of the Germans.

Under King Otokar II (1253-1278) Bohemia for a brief period was one of the most powerful realms of Europe. His sway extended from the river Elbe to the shores of the Adriatic. His son Vaclav(Wenceslaus)II became also King of Poland. The Premysl dynasty ended in 1306, with the death of Vaclav III and from that date to 1439 the house of Luxemburg was in power. During this time the Hussite movement began and a large part of the succeeding history is concerned with religious struggle, as described in the chapter on religion. In 1620 Bohemia and Moravia became vassals of the Hapsburgs and remained under their rule until October 28, 1918, when the Czechoslovak Republic was born.

As stated in the chapter on religion, few countries have been so torn by religious wars. Bohemia was a bloody battleground in the Thirty Years' War, which ended where it began, in Prague. It is estimated that the population of about 3,000,000 was reduced to 800,000 and the civilization of that country suffered a blow from which it never fully recovered. And that civilization was of no small importance, for as early as 1348 the University of Prague was founded, at a time when universities existed only in England, France and Italy. It was one of the greatest seats of learning in all Europe and its founding was followed by a Golden Age of Czech literature.

Bohemia suffered greatly from wars once more when her area again became a chief battleground, this time in the struggle between Empress Maria Theresa and Frederick the Great, who succeeded in despoiling the kingdom of much of its dependent territory. The political revolution of 1848 improved the condition of Czechs somewhat, but they were never fully reconciled until their country was freed from the yoke of an alien and despotic government.

... thanks internet for this articles ;)

I would say Carthage is a must. Maybe they can create a civ that can really compete with Rome in ancient age military. Celts would also be nice. And Portugal has changed history enough I believe they deserve to be included.

Let me tell my opinion..

If you are going to create the Ottoman civilization... I think it's better to say the Turk Civilization... because the people living there are Turks, Ottomans is just the name given to emperors and family... I mean, the people citizens are Turks not Ottomans

Then I would create the Catalan civilization :p It's not a big one... but at least we are still living, not extinged as much other civs on the last games or this IV

Then as you said, I miss the viking civilization :rolleyes: ... but I think it would be better to call them Scandinavian civilization, or whatever adjective...

Also I miss the zulues :rolleyes:

And another good ones would be the "Skimals" (it's the correct english name for artic people?) and the Armenians

And then, in the Civ 3 expand Conquest, there was the bizans but... it's not necessary because they were greeks, so we have already the greek civilization, but we could add to their liders for example some Bizantin Emperor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom