Expansionist Chariot Gambit with ICS topping

Thank you very very much Bamspeedy I see your point, you can own Half the map before combat even if you so choose.

I get the idea behind ICS, but I don't understand this statement:

"Chariots cost twice as much as Jag Warriors while having the same stats, require horses, and can't pass Mountains or Jungles without roads. Pretty good eh?"

This is sarcasm, right?

Since I'm already posting... In what ways has the game changed since release to discourage ICS?

Originally posted by ddubois
I get the idea behind ICS, but I don't understand this statement:

"Chariots cost twice as much as Jag Warriors while having the same stats, require horses, and can't pass Mountains or Jungles without roads. Pretty good eh?"

This is sarcasm, right?

Since I'm already posting... In what ways has the game changed since release to discourage ICS?

Yep, Aeson definately meant that as sarcasm! Chariots are very good. Great for mass upgrades to knights/cavalry..

ICS is still very, very powerful. You should go see the HoF, and check out Bamspeedy's 26K regent game. He used an ICS approach to this game and that was vanilla civ3 1.29f.

Nothing really has been changed. Since 1.07f (the out of the box version), the changes I think that have hurt the power of ICS (some only slightly):
1. Poprushing was changed from 40 shields to 20 shields
2. You no longer get food bonuses from the city center for building directly on a food bonus tile
3. Corruption has been lessened, reducing the need for ICS.

There isn't much you can really do about ICS anyways. About the only real solution is to limit how far apart cities can be, but that can screw up some legitimate city placements (like having just 2 cities on a lake, or some peninsulas/chokepoints where only 2 cities are just 2 tiles apart-just one situation of two cities that close isn't ICS, ICS is where all or the majority of your cities are 2-3 tiles apart).

ICS (6 or so tiles/city) is only really good for score, tons of free unit support and creating a settler flood against the AI with the right map conditions. I think 12 tiles/city (dense build, not ICS), is more powerful against humans and for a variety of map conditions.

In C3C Fuedalism sounds like a perfect for people using ICS.

In C3C Fuedalism sounds like a perfect for people using ICS.

Sure does. I'm gonna try this build for sure, it sounds very interesting and i have tryed to find a way to play feudalism for a long time now. Every build i try to play with feudalism fails;(( So i'm excited to try this one out.

But maybe then you need to be religious to change gvts quick, so you build up large force without ever building aqueduct in any of your cities, and get some money in a bank, like a 1000g-2000g or so before gunpowder and stuff, and then quickly change to monarchy and conquer large territory, while keeping to produce units. Casulties should be tremedous if you strike as much cities at once, but you should also get a lot of new territory. So that should equal up the upkeep loss from changing gvts(since monarchy gives only 2 upkeep per town). And then change to republic or feudalism again, and research communism asap. Change to communism and there you go, got reduced corruption for your empire, no war weariness and tremedously high upkeep(i mean 6 per each city, imagine if you have like 100 cities since ICS has a lot of them, its like 600 unit upkeep, thats just insane!!!!:D)

EDIT: Tryed it with mayans, complete disaster. Research is just waaay too slow. Feudalism just sux in general;( If even this strat didnt prove the point, i dont think it ever will. Maybe religious, but anyway i'm done with it. And ics isnt THAT good also. Its just a simple strategy nothing more or less.

Top Bottom