Frederick II of Prussia leaderhead (3d-era-anim)

@Alluminiun: cool images! Now we have many options to choice the Prussian UU, let's do that, I appreciate if people continue posting to suggest about the favourite UU for this civ how they r doing, now we have more images and more options maybe more people would like to express then opinion too :)
I'm exporting the Haida and Tupi female leaders leaderheads right now, the next one would be Frederick, but since we have a point to discuss I won't export Frederick yet. When I mean exporting I mean exporting the files to the format of Civilization 3, a process that takes hours and hours.

Aluminium said:
ALT+225, but you can write it as 'ss' like the Swiss.
Thanks! Ach, those Swiß, 'ss' just ain't as cool lookin'! ;)

CivArmy,
I'm sure you're right about the rendering difficulty with the facial animations.
But, I think Ares de Borg's take has some promise. I prefer the look of this.
Even with the larger eyes, they are still on the small side. Your original eyes seem very small. The face seems typical for a german/scandinavian face.. but I think Are's edits to your face made it more interesting.

WHAT?! I'm gone for a day and everything changes :(

Now to clear up some confusion. The Hessian Mercenary was Prussian. They originated in the Prussian state of Hesse, but as time went on, many Prussian mercenaries were called Hessian Mercenaries. Just because they were Mercenaries doesn't mean they shouldn't be the UU. There two other mercenary UU's in the game, and that shouldn't matter anyway. I've never heard of the Schütze in my life. :hmm: In my experience the Hessian Mercenary is more commonly known (but obviously not everyone not going to know what they are...) because the English hired them from Prussia to fight in the Revolutionary War. I did see the units in steph's Cossack’s conversions. I'm assuming that you’re talking about the grenadier (that’s the only unit that i can imagine coming close to the Hessian Mercenary). Ok, first of all, it’s a conversion, so naturally its not going to be as good as the rest of the units in the game or the forums. Second, it doesn't really even look like he's shooting a gun; it looks like he's trying to stick someone with his bayonet. It really needs a lot more of a kick and some smoke to make it look like its being fired. And third, and most importantly, its not the Hessian Mercenary! Now ultimately it’s up to CivArmy to decide, but my votes still with the Hessian Mercenary.

Corn Shucker said:
They originated in the Prussian state of Hesse

Actually, it's "Hessen". ;-)

No, its Hesse:

MSN Encarta said:
Hes·sian

noun (plural Hes·sians)

1. peoples somebody from Hesse: somebody who lives in or was born or raised in the central German state of Hesse

2. military German mercenary soldier: a German mercenary soldier, especially one from the kingdom of Hesse, who fought for the British army during the American Revolution or the Napoleonic Wars

3. military mercenary: any mercenary soldier

adjective

of Hesse: relating to Hesse, or its people or culture

But, I have seen it refered to as Hessen, mabey either way is acceptable?

Well..in German, it's "Hessen"! And if you'd ask any Hessian, he'd tell you they were OCCUPIED by Prussia. They were never part of Prussia Proper which encompassed the provinces of Brandenburg, Ostpreussen, Westpreussen and Altmark.

That's why the Hessian Mercenary is a poor choice for the Prussian UU. If anything, you'd have to pick the Lange Kerls Guard Grenadiers... if you wanted something from that era.

Hey.. Dan.. let's just take a poll: Lützowsches Freikorps, Hessian Mercenary, Lange Kerls or Schütze...

since we have more options of units now I suggest people continue the process of voting and debate, in the final I decide the winner UU ;)
it would be great show the link of the possible units, I checked the Steph convertion untis posts, found a lot of units, but not the Prussian ones that I was looking for.

The question is not what a Hessian would say, but what is historically accurate. Hesse (or Hessen :)) was a german state united under Prussia. We aren't talking about "Prussia Proper," We're talking about Prussia as a whole. The Hessian Mercenary is as good a choice as any of the others IMO (...well actully a better choice IMO, or I wouldn't be so supporitve of it :p). Let me rephrase that... The Hessian Mercenary is as good a choic as any of the others in reality... Not only that, but a cooler one too!

Kurhessen, Hessen was devided in several states, was occupied by Prussia in 1866 because they fought on Austrian sides. So you can add Kassel and Waldeck to the city names. But in 1866 Hessen mercenaries didn´t exist any more!
In the time of the American revolution Frederic the Great ruled Prussia. He was allied with Britain but he didn´t like his cousin very much and also because of his enlighted reign he tried to help the Americans by sending a good training officer, General von Steuben, to the colonies to make from farmers with guns real soldiers. Because he had trouble with Austria, Bavarian succession war, he couldn´t do more. After the war was over, he joined the first armed neutrality to cope with the danger of British attacks on neutral ships. In this neutrality, together with France, Sweden, Russia and Hamburg, Lübeck and Bremen Prussian ships formed convoys to defend themselves. So important goods passed the blockade. The British would have risked a war with the European powers if they had attacked the convoys. IIRC it were Hessian soldiers mostly who fought on the British side, and no Prussians.

Adler

Let me put it that way: Hessen is what the Germans say (like me), because it's called Hessen by the Hessen (Hessians ;-)). The Americans cannot pronounce that so they dropped a "N" on the way over the ocean. ;-)

j/k

But if you use the German term "Schützen" you should also say "Hessen".
Hessian Mercenaries would then be "Hessische Söldner".

I still think the teutonic knight a good and easy choice, since you won't have to make the unit. I'm sure now ;) that BeBro did a Teutonic Knight. Here's the link:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=66277
Another unit that you can use is the Reiter, also made by BeBro (i am starting to sound like his marketing guy :D !), to replace Cavalry. The thread is here:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=86066

EDIT:
AND, there is also BeBro's Prussian Cavalry, here:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=107847

maybe it could be the theme of a future units pack ;)

That would be totally awesome!

CivArmy s. 1994 said:
we have a large number of UUs to choice, maybe it could be the theme of a future units pack ;)

THAT is something I can agree on!

Ares de Borg said:
Let me put it that way: Hessen is what the Germans say (like me), because it's called Hessen by the Hessen (Hessians ;-)). The Americans cannot pronounce that so they dropped a "N" on the way over the ocean. ;-)

j/k

We lost a lot of letters on our way over the ocean, Ares! I agree with you though, all joking aside, that the Hessian Mercenary is not a good choice for Prussia. I'd rather see a Prussian unit proper, of the sort that fought under Frederick. I think making a Hessian the Prussian UU would be akin to making the Cretan Archer the Roman UU. Given a choice between the two, I'd take the Teutonic Knight over the Hessian, as it was the Teutonic Knights that carved Prussia out of the wilderness. At least there is that historical connection.

My two pfennigs.

hahahahahahahahaha :lol:
Seu Madruga!
hahahahahahahahaha :lol:

Well, looks like the Prussian units pack is indeed, I have to do this one someday ;)
By someday do you mean someday soon, or someday in the distant future? :)

Top Bottom