Fun and discovery in CIV 5

asura_

Chieftain
I'll keep this short and simple.

Reflecting on my experience with Civ 3 and 4 the more you play the game and the more you know all the minor details of the gameplay (exact build order needed to win, aka folow the list of tasks) the less actual fun you have in the end.

Do you agree that discovering the game and winning without an absolute clear-cut strategy is more fun than just following the same routine?

Yeah, I do believe that an elephant in the corner with a site like this existing is that it takes the element of the game out of the game. I always leave comments on this site whenever I give a tip, telling the other person to play it like a game and not like an exam. Sad really. That is gaming in general though.

Like in Morrowind, it took me forever to get all of the Daedric lord artifacts, but in Skyrim they were thrown in my face well before I even wanted them available. Part of that might be dumbing down sure, but another is the endless amount of secrets revealed online days after the games release.

I disagree. My best part in a game in when I have discovered mechanics and try to find the optimal path. When I reach it, I also enjoy during a period to repeat it and just adjust some optimal things.

After, yes it's a kind of boring. So I try to find other. Less fun because, you have a routine and if I roll away with my new try, I just waste some times. Example : I tried some SV with Order, going to Penicillin before Satellites. Not as wonderful as with Freedom. I should try again, but not really fun enough (except I begin to build hospitals an medical centers 5 years after game release).

I prefer to randomise things and play to win from there.

It's a slightly different skill - load a game at a lower difficulty level (King, Emp) with random civ, random map type, random map size - and still win.

That forces you to play a little more reactively. In one case, very much so when I realised that the map I thought was an Islands or Fractal map was, in fact a Pangea.... That early choice on Optics wasn't such a good choice, with hindsight.

(To be fair I was right on the end point of a tendril like headland that only connected to the main land along a one hex connection right at the southern extreme on the far side of a barbarian encampment. It meant you could see about three different landmasses from most of the headland...)

I am working up into prince, and haven't played all the civ's , yet, so i'm still learning the game; thus I would vote for random civ's , maps, and number of CS's

Top Bottom