Future Worlds

Whoo, nice! I should try this as soon as my current game is finished!

In the meantime, since I can't check right now, a few questions:

- Did you add the theming bonus to the Virtual Idol wonder, as I'd pointed out in an earlier post?
- I recall someone pointing out the Feedsite Hub wonder now makes some stupidly huge amount of culture increase. If that's an unintended bug, was that fixed?
- I recall someone mentioning that Academies no longer improve strategic resources once they're converted to HERCs. Has that been fixed?
- Does the new death effect of Mutants also apply when building its upgrade units(Organic Infantry, Biotrooper)? Does it only carry on if the Mutant is first produced, then upgraded via gold? Or is it specific to Mutants only and lost upon upgrade to Organic Infantry?
- What exactly does the Jurassic Park wonder do? Tourism increase? Science increase? Happiness increase?
- How do the Biomod promotions work? Similarly to the Gengineered promotions?

And a suggestion if it hasn't been implemented: You might want to add a line in the text where the Buenos Aires Forum wonder requires a city to be next to a river to be built. Just a few hours ago I got very confused because I couldn't build it in my capital in my v4 game, so I had to go and look through the code to see what was going on.

Good questions!

-Yes, the theming bonus has been added. It requires two Great Works from the same era, but different civilizations.
-One of the bugs with the Feedsite Hub (i.e. the <Building_BuildingClassYieldChanges> code) has been fixed. Given how astronomical that culture bonus was it's possible there are other interactions that were at play, but that particular one has been fixed.
-The HERC will now improve strategic resources underneath it, similar to an Academy. It also counts as having been built by a Great Person for effects like Korea's UA.
-The Mutation promotion will be carried over if a Mutant is upgraded to an Organic Infantry (and then to a Biotrooper). Organic Infantry and Biotroopers don't have access to the Mutation promotion, though, and so will only have it if they were originally Mutants.
-Jurassic Park provides a bonus of +2 Science, +2 Gold, and +2 Happiness to Zoos in the empire, as well as its own base yields of +6 Science and +6 Gold. It also provides a free Zoo to the city it's built in. However, it has a 10% chance per turn of spawning a Barbarian Dinosaur unit near any city in your empire that has a Zoo.
-The Biomod promotions work similar to the Gengineered ones in that you start with a base "Biomods" promotion that allows you to pick from three new promotions -- Stim Mod, Boost Mod, and Toxin Mod. The base Biomods promotion adds a +10% bonus to combat strength. The Stim Mod and Boost Mod both trigger at the start of your turn if a unit is below 50% health - the Stim Mod will immediately heal it +25 health, while the Boost Mod adds a temporary combat bonus that degrades over time. It starts at a +30% bonus to combat strength, but degrades by 10% at the start of each turn (so to 20%, then to 10%). Each of these mods, once used, can be "refilled" by starting the turn in a city with a Bioenhancement Centre. The Toxin Mod, on the other hand, triggers when the unit is killed by an enemy, and does 10 HP damage to all adjacent enemy units. Its effect will trigger before the Mutation effect does, and so the two will stack. (i.e. the Toxin Mod can do enough damage to bring a unit below 50% health, and thus make it vulnerable to the Mutation effect.)
-Sorry, forgot to include that restriction in the pedia entry! I've added it now.

EDIT: Oh yes, forgot I added the Special Forces unit to the tree. It's available at Telecom, and is an upgrade to the Marine, and upgrades to the Organic Infantry.

Two Great Works from the same era but different civs? Given that it needs Music and Music is impossible to be traded... guess the bonus is only available with a spot of war then :D

Barbarian Dinosaur units? Wow-ee. This is going to be interesting. Though 10% every turn in every city? That seems a tad too high; if you're running a fairly wide empire you're going to have one or two rampaging dinos around your cities all the time...

Is there any way to make this work with tacturns or historical eras?

I'm not entirely sure what those mods do... I know one person ran into a problem running Future World with a mod that slowed down research because the numbers got too large for the system to handle. XD But depending on how they work it might be compatible?

Two Great Works from the same era but different civs? Given that it needs Music and Music is impossible to be traded... guess the bonus is only available with a spot of war then :D

Barbarian Dinosaur units? Wow-ee. This is going to be interesting. Though 10% every turn in every city? That seems a tad too high; if you're running a fairly wide empire you're going to have one or two rampaging dinos around your cities all the time...

You can't trade Great Works of Music? Hrm... I might have to change that, then. XD I figured requiring different cultures would make sense as Hatsune Miku is something of an international phenomenon, but if you can't trade GWoM it might be too difficult to get the theme bonus....

As for the Barbarian dinos, fortunately the way I made the effect work is that there's a 10% chance a dino will appear -- if it does, the code finds all the cities with Zoos, and picks one of the tiles around them to spawn it. So it doesn't matter how many Zoos you have, only one dino will appear if it's determined one will spawn.

I'm also not entirely sure how aggressive Barbarian dinosaurs are... the times the code worked in testing, the dinosaurs often just ran off. :p But that may have been because I would just start up a new game and there was lots of wilderness around -- in the late game, no matter where they go they'll be in someone's territory. :p They're also as strong as Information Age units (i.e. combat strength 90 to 120), so they'll definitely require a little effort to get rid of...

I'm not entirely sure what those mods do... I know one person ran into a problem running Future World with a mod that slowed down research because the numbers got too large for the system to handle. XD But depending on how they work it might be compatible?

That's pretty much the gist of what they do. Epic/Marathon research times with standard building speeds.

I only ask because both CTD when I have future worlds ticked, but not when it's just EE, but I saw Tpang using it with historic eras in the battle royale.

That's pretty much the gist of what they do. Epic/Marathon research times with standard building speeds.

I only ask because both CTD when I have future worlds ticked, but not when it's just EE, but I saw Tpang using it with historic eras in the battle royale.

Historical Eras reportedly CTDs with EE, but that'should most likely because of the new Era. Any CTD between HE and Future World's would be more likely to have to be fixed on HE's end.

You can't trade Great Works of Music? Hrm... I might have to change that, then. XD I figured requiring different cultures would make sense as Hatsune Miku is something of an international phenomenon, but if you can't trade GWoM it might be too difficult to get the theme bonus....

As for the Barbarian dinos, fortunately the way I made the effect work is that there's a 10% chance a dino will appear -- if it does, the code finds all the cities with Zoos, and picks one of the tiles around them to spawn it. So it doesn't matter how many Zoos you have, only one dino will appear if it's determined one will spawn.

I'm also not entirely sure how aggressive Barbarian dinosaurs are... the times the code worked in testing, the dinosaurs often just ran off. :p But that may have been because I would just start up a new game and there was lots of wilderness around -- in the late game, no matter where they go they'll be in someone's territory. :p They're also as strong as Information Age units (i.e. combat strength 90 to 120), so they'll definitely require a little effort to get rid of...

Do give us a mention if you do change the theming bonus, will you? Personally, since two different civs is a bit difficult, I think having it be the same civ but different eras(like Sydney Opera House) might be an OK alternative.

Regarding barbarian dinos(this phrase somehow manages to be hilarious :D), that's kind of a relief, I guess, then? Though even then, I think 5% instead of 10 might be a better number... Just a question, is there only one type of dino unit added to this mod?

Also, an idea of sorts: what about building the Jurassic Park wonder lets you create dino units to use yourself('military applications', etc.)? With the city that has the wonder giving a few extra perks to these units. You might make it so that these units have some upsides compared to conventional units(instills fear upon enemies, traverses rough terrain better, unique promotions, etc.) and some drawbacks at the same time(raised maintenance cost/supply, building them halts city growth like Settlers, not affected by Great Generals, unique negative promotions, etc.). One idea I just had is that if dino units take a city, it causes greater population loss compared to other units; better if you're going to raze it, worse if you're going to keep it.

Mutant have 1 strenght :confused:

Whoops! I'd temporarily lowered their combat strength to 1 while testing the Mutation ability... I'd forgotten to fix their strength. It should be 85.

Do give us a mention if you do change the theming bonus, will you? Personally, since two different civs is a bit difficult, I think having it be the same civ but different eras(like Sydney Opera House) might be an OK alternative.

Regarding barbarian dinos(this phrase somehow manages to be hilarious :D), that's kind of a relief, I guess, then? Though even then, I think 5% instead of 10 might be a better number... Just a question, is there only one type of dino unit added to this mod?

Also, an idea of sorts: what about building the Jurassic Park wonder lets you create dino units to use yourself('military applications', etc.)? With the city that has the wonder giving a few extra perks to these units. You might make it so that these units have some upsides compared to conventional units(instills fear upon enemies, traverses rough terrain better, unique promotions, etc.) and some drawbacks at the same time(raised maintenance cost/supply, building them halts city growth like Settlers, not affected by Great Generals, unique negative promotions, etc.). One idea I just had is that if dino units take a city, it causes greater population loss compared to other units; better if you're going to raze it, worse if you're going to keep it.

For now, I've set it to Same Era/Same Civ, like Broadway. When I manage to get my new tech era working, I'll probably adjust it to different eras.

As for the dinosaurs, there's three types available -- T-Rex, Triceratops, and Velociraptors. Velociraptors are most likely to appear (50% chance), with combat strength 90 and movement 4. Triceratops are next most likely to appear (33% chance), and are strength 100 and movement 2, but start with the Cover I promotion automatically. T-Rex is the rarest, with only a 16% chance to appear, but is strength 120 and movement 3.

I had originally planned for these units to stop appearing with Designer Lifeforms and become trainable units, however, there's problems with trying to get that to work - primarily, I'd have to assign them to the Designer Lifeforms tech, and that would clutter up the tree significantly. I'm still trying to see if I can figure a way around that issue, possibly using a dummy tech.

Anyways, I've updated the dropbox download with all of the changes I've mentioned. The updated copy is available here.

You could tie them to a building, either dummy or real.

With real, the player has to contruct the building after discovering the tech, and with dummy you could just give the building in all cities 'behind the scenes' when the player learns the tech.

You could tie them to a building, either dummy or real.

With real, the player has to contruct the building after discovering the tech, and with dummy you could just give the building in all cities 'behind the scenes' when the player learns the tech.

I think my main concern is that if I don't have them linked to a tech, but make them buildable, then the game will spawn you with one of the units at the start of the game, since it looks for the strongest unit you can have and provides you with one. (Thus, if the FW tech tree crashes, you start the game with Biotroopers.) It won't give you an unbuildable unit (i.e. production cost -1), but even if you tie it to a building or some other restriction, I think it'll still spawn them...

I think my main concern is that if I don't have them linked to a tech, but make them buildable, then the game will spawn you with one of the units at the start of the game, since it looks for the strongest unit you can have and provides you with one. (Thus, if the FW tech tree crashes, you start the game with Biotroopers.) It won't give you an unbuildable unit (i.e. production cost -1), but even if you tie it to a building or some other restriction, I think it'll still spawn them...

Maybe they shouldn't be buildable? ( &#865;° &#860;&#662; &#865;°)

Like before you research that tech you get barbarian dinosaurs, then after doing that you get your dinosaurs.

Maybe they shouldn't be buildable? ( &#865;° &#860;&#662; &#865;°)

Like before you research that tech you get barbarian dinosaurs, then after doing that you get your dinosaurs.

I suppose I could have it just spawn friendly Dinosaur units periodically... I'll give it some thought.

Anyways, I've now published v5 of Future Worlds to Steam. Thanks to everyone for all of your help identifying the latest bugs! :D

Cool update. I like the look of the Brain Uploading Facility, really unique game play choice. One question about it and the Digital Emancipation wonder. The wonder gives +2 :c5happy: to each Brain Uploading Facility dummy building. I think this would give the builder of the wonder an amount of happiness :c5happy: equal to half the city's population for every city they have a Brain Uploading Facility in, which seems a rather large amount.

Really love the update, the brain uploading facility is super neat, I have never seen a mod like it.

It would be pretty cool though if you could add some future airplanes to the mod, ones that you can station inside of cities, with an anti aircraft unit to go along with it, because its kinda weird killing robots and mutants with jet fighters and stealth bombers.

Thanks!

Cool update. I like the look of the Brain Uploading Facility, really unique game play choice. One question about it and the Digital Emancipation wonder. The wonder gives +2 :c5happy: to each Brain Uploading Facility dummy building. I think this would give the builder of the wonder an amount of happiness :c5happy: equal to half the city's population for every city they have a Brain Uploading Facility in, which seems a rather large amount.

Yeah, it probably is -- I was tending to default to "+2 Happiness" for happiness-boosting buildings and so overdid it a bit. +1 Happiness may be a lot more suitable.

Really love the update, the brain uploading facility is super neat, I have never seen a mod like it.

It would be pretty cool though if you could add some future airplanes to the mod, ones that you can station inside of cities, with an anti aircraft unit to go along with it, because its kinda weird killing robots and mutants with jet fighters and stealth bombers.

Thanks!

Thanks to you as well! I recall once someone said about fictional civs that it provided the opportunity to do things a historical civ couldn't really do, and sci-fi things like the Brain Uploading Facility offer the same opportunity. So I'm glad I was able to pull off something unique!

As for aircraft, there is the Drone Fighter as a more futuristic version of the Jet Fighter. I do plan to add a Suborbital Bomber as an upgrade to the Stealth Bomber, and might at some point make a post-Drone Fighter aircraft.

As for anti-aircraft, it's something I've considered although I'm not entirely sure how to do it. The best option may be to use some of the armored vehicles I've seen and make an AA platform using lasers, since that may not require particularly complex animations. Either that, or maybe some kind of AA swarm missiles? Hmmm...

Top Bottom