[BTS] G-Minor 216 - deadline 10th November

Noble Zarkon

Elite Quattromaster - Immortal (BTS)
Super Moderator
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter
While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

Settings:
  • Victory Condition: Conquest (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: Monarch
  • Starting Era: Ancient
  • Map Size: Standard
  • Speed: Normal
  • Map Type: Inland Sea
  • Civ: Rome
  • Opponents: Must include Arabia (Saladin), Celt (Brennus), Inca (Huayna Capac), Mali (Mansa Musa), Maya (Pacal), Spain (Isabella)
  • Version: 3.19.003 or 3.19.004b
  • Date: 10th October to 10th November 2016
Must not play as Inca.
The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

This sounds like a really fun Gauntlet! Beeline Iron Works, spam Praetorians, swarm them in both directions around the sea to ultimate victory!

Unless one oracles Feudalism, I doubt that vassaling enemy Civs would be any faster.

The only useful buildings will be Barracks and Granary, and of these only the Granary could be thought of being really necessary. Razing cities might be a better option than building Courthouses in distant cities.

This sounds like a really fun Gauntlet!
Yes, it was a lot of fun! Thanks for the setup!

Beeline Iron Works, spam Praetorians, swarm them in both directions around the sea to ultimate victory!
That's pretty much how it played out. Teched to Iron Working, had 2 Settlers ready to settle upon learning Iron Working to guarantee that I'd get Iron, spammed Praetorians, sent them in both directions, and they just about met each other on the opposite side of the map.

I didn't even bother to get a "HOF-like" start, and went with one of the few maps that I self-rolled, having a Wheat Resource, a Sheep Resource, and a Wine Resource.

My second City added a Pig, a Spice, and an Iron, while my third City added a Cow and an Iron. These Resources were sufficient to start pumping out the Praetorians.

I almost gave up when my economy was dying and I missed building The Oracle by 60 Hammers, with my coffers quickly emptying and when my "stack" of 6 Praetorians met a 40% Cultural Defences City with 6 Protective Archers in it (Saladin). But, I decided that instead of stopping, I'd just do some Pillaging while waiting for reinforcements to arrive. Once the City fell, City Capture Gold carried me through and from then on, I was able to keep enough of a pace of City captures going that my empire didn't even think about striking.

Well done, Doomstriker!

Thanks for the detailed description of your victory.

I hope to have time to submit a game too.

Yeah, I'm trying this one too. Not going near as fast as I thought it would. There's tremendous gaps between me and the AI, except for one, Sal, who I took out rather quickly (and he fed me some workers). But from there it was was a long trek in both directions to the next AIs, but then from there they are fairly adjacent. So I think possibly there could be some luck with how the map is roll so one is more in the mix of things, or otherwise there are some possible settings that might help.

I went with JC as I figured Org would be much more helpful than Ind with this game. Never had money issues. Only kept cities that had some value. Certainly want to keep some farther up the road for unit production as one gets to a point where your core cities really aren't much of a factor getting units up the road for the final pushes.

I built 3 cities as I ended up needing a quick 3rd city for iron access, but would prefer probably just 2 to start and get right to unit production.

I figured this might be an easy BC era win, but it is going quite a bit longer than that. I did try to get extra workers on roads in both directions as soon as available, but this is something that might need to be prioritized much sooner.

Be interesting to see how someone does here with a straight HA approach instead of Praet.

EDIT: Yes, nice game, Dhoom! I just approved your submission. I will definitely not come close to that date with my current game, but expect to try again. At least I don't feel silly about not getting a BC win.

I also went with Julius. As for Traits, Augustus' Industrious probably wouldn't have helped much because Forges don't have much time to pay off and Wonder Failure Gold isn't really necessary, even with keeping most of the Cities. With Isabella and Huayna in the game and with self-teching Iron Working early on, going for The Oracle is probably a trap best avoided.

That said, I only used Slavery for a Civic, and I only whipped 3 Courthouses (which could have been whipped/Chopped at full price nearly just as easily), so Organized didn't really do much for me, either.

I would be interested to see by how much a HOF-like start would help, with a Commerce Resource or two to speed up research. As it was, I built 2 Settlers but delayed settling them until Iron Working was learned (at the start of Turn 37, 2520 BC).

I did luck out with getting Agriculture from a Hut. Actually, I didn't even realise that I didn't start with Agriculture until it popped from the Hut, so I narrowly avoided having to restart due to that luck. Certainly, getting Bronze Working or Iron Working with Hut luck would make for a big advantage, while getting Agriculture or The Wheel would also be helpful.

Another option would be to play a coastal start, as I find that Rome starts often have 2 or 3 seafood Resources (usually Clams) when starting next to the Coast. With Fishing as a starting tech, you can build Work Boats while doing an Iron Working beeline, and the extra Commerce from working coastal seafood squares will help you to get there.

A start with Flood Plains and Mineable Commerce Resources would probably also work well enough without any Hut luck. I ran into Unhappiness issues and ended up focusing on working Hammer-heavy squares instead of whipping, which delayed the initial warring, but also sustained the production of reinforcements (which I ended up needing for my first major battle anyway).

Yes, the second AI was far away, but that fact meant that more Huts could be grabbed, so that situation is one of the tradeoffs.

The first major battle, like most of these types of games, is often either about luck (catching an AI off of its guard) or about patience (waiting for additional troops while Pillaging, as I ended up doing). The first major City capture (Saladin's capital) netted me a Gems Resource, giving me some much-needed Happiness, and making up for not starting with an early-game Happiness Resource.

From there, you should have enough production power to create enough Praetorians to conquer the whole map, so it just becomes a logistics game of deciding in which of two directions to send newly-built troops.

Last edited:
I probably won't have time to play this, but if I did, I'd go for mounted conquest. The AI are quite nasty picks for that, but it's only monarch, so it should be doable. Probably take out first couple of AI with chariots while waiting for HBR, then run down the rest as fast as possible.

I'd go with low sea level and cold climate. Low sea level makes the sea a lot smaller, sometimes there is even a bridge across it in the middle of the sea. Cold climate with low sea level pushes all AI starting locations toward the center of the map, making for shorter distances to move between AI.

In case one faces too many Archers or other defenders in a city with high cultural defense (optionally on a hill too), don't forget to Cease Fire, allowing the AI to move most of the defenders out. After a turn or two, one can redelare War and face possibly fewer defenders and at least less fortified ones!

Well done, Dhoomstriker!

I wasn't able to complete my game by the deadline; I started a few days too late.

I had a game at roughly 200 AD with 2 10+ stacks of Praets and 2 surviving AIs, Brennus got Feudalism so I invaded Pacal early before he got it, right when I move my stack next to his first city I see Longbows, immediately Alt-F4ed, regretted it immediately afterwards :hammer2:(had construction, so could have slow rolled it)
1 day before the deadline I start a new game, lose 4 Praets to 70 % battles on my first capital conquest, giving the AI doubly promoted Archers ..

I decided that this Gautlet was not meant to be.:crazyeye:

Using capitulation was the key to winning this gauntlet, but like you, I ran out of time.

Top Bottom