Game became quickly boring.

TheMarshmallowBear

Benelovent Chieftain of the Ursu Kingdom
I know I know I play on Warlord, but Prince is too difficult.

So.. I've become increasingly bored with Civ 5, it's just played out (which, to think of it, is the same issue I had pre-G&K, so I have a feeling One World is real :p xD )

Anybody knows ways to spruce things up a little? I would love to get a big empire going, but Prince seems to difficult (it's on the level where ou have to be careful of your choices, which is something I'm not good at really, especially since I pretty much neglect my army).

I know I know I play on Warlord, but Prince is too difficult.

So.. I've become increasingly bored with Civ 5, it's just played out (which, to think of it, is the same issue I had pre-G&K, so I have a feeling One World is real :p xD )

Anybody knows ways to spruce things up a little? I would love to get a big empire going, but Prince seems to difficult (it's on the level where ou have to be careful of your choices, which is something I'm not good at really, especially since I pretty much neglect my army).

Honestly, you really don't need much of an army at all even on Prince. I had a game as Korea in which Suleiman rushed Seoul before I could do much of anything.

The AI is so horrendously bad at fighting that I killed all 4 of his warriors and all 3 of his arches with just my single garrisoned archer and bombardments. He seriously just marched his warriors up to Seoul and had them fortify (not even to heal every turn) while he marched his archers back and forth within my range without returning fire.

Defense: You want 1 Composite per city (all built as Archers and upgraded to Composites with Construction)

If you want to conquer cities early you'll probably want to build a couple of Warriors to upgrade to Swords / Longs as well; but the ranged units take priority.

Making Prince (or any other difficulty level) easier:
If you have Babylon DLC, play as Babylon.
Or if you have Korea DLC, play as Korea.
Next one would by Maya (with G&K). This is one of the better civs (can build ranged units on turn 1 and a lot of free great people from UA), its just the AI that doesn't know how to play them.
Another strong civ is Carthage.

Making Warlord (or any other difficulty level) harder: Play Ottomans on Pangaea.
Or play Germany but turn barbs off.

Spain is a wild card, when your first to two natural wonders, its more than a difficulty level easier; but if there's no natural wonders near you, its fairly bad.

Honestly, if you're playing on Prince and getting bored, increase difficulty. I guarantee it makes things more interesting.

Prince is not that hard when you know how to play.
The first few matches I did ended up with me losing big time. The trick is knowing what weak and strong points exist and how to exploit them.

The most clear weak point of the AI is military tactics. Their strategy is usually pretty decent: knowing where to hit and what units to supply the attack with, how long it takes to get there and if they need to go with naval backup or not etc.
But their tactics, the actual positioning of the units and dealing damage is terrible. Most if not all of the times their tactic is to basically swarm you and 'hope' that it blows your city away like a big tidal wave.

Like somebody said before: One ranged unit in every city is often enough to disrupt their attacks. I usually have a wall and castle in my cities as well. That combined with weakening melee units (so they fortify and don't do anything), then destroying ranged and siege, makes you nigh invincible.

Another weakness to exploit is their money. Trade for money at all time, do it even more so when you know they are going to declare/you are going to declare. Even strategic resources are good for trade (except with the runaways or very militaristic civs).

Walls and castles are a lot of hammers for a single city. Yes, there's no ongoing maintenance cost and if you're going Honor, there are happiness benefits, but for the roughly the same hammer cost, you could hard build 4 archers, or 3 comp bows, or 2 comp bows and a pike (take your pick), providing much more defensive (and retaliatory offensive) capability.

If you got used to playing on warlord then of course prince is going to be difficult! On warlord, you can basically afford to play badly and still win.

Any time you go up a level it's an adjustment, and you will need to change your style of play. If you play on prince exactly as you do on warlord, you likely won't do well. You will need to learn to adapt.

Why don't you go up a level. It may be challenging at first, but it will force you to become a better player. And the game will become a lot more fun.

I used to play on prince, and the game got boring. Then I moved up to king and it was harder, but a lot more fun. I now mostly play on emperor, and that is even more fun than king. I don't want to be a runaway every single game. That is not fun for me. I want there to be a real challenge. I've played immortal before, but you REALLY need to be on top of your game, and pay close attention to all details, it can become stressful and tiring. I usually just want a fun game that's relaxing but not to easy. So I find emperor to be the funnest level.

Don't go straight from warlord to emperor. Try a few games on prince. If you stick with it and don't give up you will adapt fairly easily and quickly. Then you will be ready for king. Try to get up to at least king, and I'm sure the game will be much more fun.

Like somebody said before: One ranged unit in every city is often enough to disrupt their attacks. I usually have a wall and castle in my cities as well. That combined with weakening melee units (so they fortify and don't do anything), then destroying ranged and siege, makes you nigh invincible.

That's... not really going to stop a fullscale rush all the time. Even garrisoned, one comp bow isn't going to do much against someone with swords, pikes, cats and archers blowing you down full

I would not advise that, unless you plan on losing that city real quick or you have some really handy tools at hand (Great Wall, Incan Andean Road)

Top Bottom