Get rid of Defections

LAF1994

Chieftain
Having defections occur in this scenario is ridiculously unrealistic and ahistorical. Specifically:
-The Crusaders: why should Muslim troops defect en masse to invading Crusaders if the Caliph refuses to hand over Jerusalem?
-Rum: Likewise, why would Greek troops flip over to the Seljuks?

Having defections occur in this scenario is ridiculously unrealistic and ahistorical. Specifically:
-The Crusaders: why should Muslim troops defect en masse to invading Crusaders if the Caliph refuses to hand over Jerusalem?
-Rum: Likewise, why would Greek troops flip over to the Seljuks?

Rum: default RFC flip mechanics;
Crusaders: scripts, flip mechanics with some rules.

For the Rum, i could see a situation where only cities conquered by barb Seljuks could flip.

For the crusaders, it would be interesting to force them to conquer their way through the Levant, but then they run into the problem of having less developed cities from conquering (and it's not like many of their cities are production friendly).

it could maybe add some more variety if both sides (byz&rum) are ai. but since i've hardly seen rum-ai grow strong it would need some other significant changes to make them somewhat relevant. starting with only one or 2 barb-conquered citys would make them incredibly weak.

but as soon as either byz or rum are player-controlled it would have to be changed completely. as byz it would be far to easy to completely avoid any rum in anatolia (rum is already not that much of a problem to deal with). starting as rum with only the cities being conquered by barbs would be pretty annoying imo.

thats actually the basic point about this "making it more historically correct". you still gotta keep it somewhat balanced and interesting, no matter which faction is human and which is ai-controlled. it's possible do add some minor changes if a side is human-controlled, but in this case there would need to be some radical changes. anyway, for me this issue, the question which units/cities should flip in which case, looks more like eye-candy to me than something that would actually bring some real benefit to the game.

Each cities in core provinces of new dynasties will flip on turn 3 after spawn.
For Rum: Galatia(Angora) and Cappadocia(Sivas, Kaysery)
For PoA: N.Syria(Antioh, sometimes Maras) and Edessa(Edessa or Harran)
For KoJ: Palestine(Jerusalem, Akka, sometimes Gaza)
So it does not matter who controls the city (barbarians or another dynasty). Some cities can be razed and don't resurrect by script (Sivas, Antioh, Kaysery), some cities can be razed and resurrect by script(Edessa, Mosul etc) before civs spawn.
Map of provinces in SoI
About development: Embryodead said that the project is completed

Having defections occur in this scenario is ridiculously unrealistic and ahistorical.
You forgot about many other strange in SoI:
  • Mekka and Madinah placement;
  • Unrealistic situation in Hindustan at start;
  • Khwarezm flip Bukhara and Samarqand in 1080AD, but IRL they capture both near 1200AD;
  • Vararakn/Khankendi become Stepanakert only in 1923AD
more not listed;)

Top Bottom