Government Style (where to focus the rules work)

Which government style should get our focus?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DaveShack

Inventor
Retired Moderator
We have very little time left before our preferred start date of Jan 1st (or shortly thereafter). It is now time to focus our efforts on finishing the rules for the government type preferred by the most people.

The choices, with links to discussion threads, are:

Flexible Government
Triumvirate 4.0
Traditional Government

This poll will be open for 3 days and its results will be used to tell the rule makers which one to push to completion. You are not voting to ratify a ruleset in its current form! The government style getting the most votes can be modified before its Code of Laws is submitted for ratification. I strongly suggest we start working on the one which gets a lead after a day or so.

I was tempted to make this private, but decided not to.

Surprise surprise: triumvirate for me! Maybe in addition of some aspects from the flexible one...
The traditional has its charme, too!!

I as well would like to NOT let this Jan,1st thing rule of how fast we set up the rule-set... I'd prefer the ruleset to be responsible when to start, not the start-date to be responsible of how well thought through the ruleset is... (Don't go gold too soon! It may cause flame threads in the main-forum :rolleyes: )

Being a grunt you probably don't care but I choose flexible:D.

by the recommendations of Mr.Future, acting Big Brother and my own judgement, i voted flexible government

The trimuvirate looks the most complete, and Alphawolf is very flexible and itelligent, so i'm going to have to go with the Triumvirate

I appreicate the time and effort that has been put into the Triumvirate, But i still don't understand who does what to me i get the same confusion as the Alternative goverment for the civ3 demogame, levels of goverment won't work. I understand tradtional becaue its abovious

Foreign minister deals with foreign affairs, Elected by the people

vs
External consulate is elected by a 2/3 majority of the lower house, may then appoint members (not apart of the triumvirate) to deal with trade, military and foreign affairs, these people can be vetoed by the 5/8 majority in the senate as long as two or more triumvirate do not conferm him.

As far as flexiable is concerned i think that our code of laws/consititution system allows our code of laws to be easiy addapted anyway.

So i vote Traditional,

Nobody said:
dumb i bet the 4 people who voted tradtional would rather have their vote for flexiable than the other one

Really? I'll bet you are quite wrong on at least one of them.

Also, may I ask what the "dumb" in your post refers to? Surely you would not be castigating the choice a citizen made in a poll, would you?

-- Ravensfire

ravensfire said:
Also, may I ask what the "dumb" in your post refers to? Surely you would not be castigating the choice a citizen made in a poll, would you?

lol i edited it out, its the stupid way i talk, i say "dumb" when i don't like things like the tradtional goverment its "dumb" or bad i didn't get things my way, not that people decisions were dumb

could a mod please change my vote from traditional to flexible?

Well, that's a lot more evenly split than I thought it would be. It's really hard to judge exactly how much support each option has until we get to the vote. Also the lead has changed hands twice that I've noticed.

Here is some additional analysis, in case there are any unswayed voters out there. I haven't voted yet and was actually looking for more debate which didn't really materialize.

"Flexible" in this poll is essentially "traditional" with the modification that the number and duties of offices changes throughout the game as the need arises. The Triumvirate proposal also has a flexible provision, it is just hard to find and hard to figure out how it works.

Given the unexpected (to me) high support for flexible, if Tri wins I'll almost certainly try to push the suggested flexible law that I posted in the flexible thread into the Tri rules.

My opinion of the differences between Flexible (traditional+) and Triumvirate is:
  • Triumvirate is hierarchical with some offices "higher" than others, where Flexible is flat, all offices at the same level
  • Triumvirate is procedurally complex and rigid, with prescribed actions which must be taken in the proper order. Flexible is procedurally simple (in fact procedurally undefined)
  • Triumvirate enforces cooperation via process, Flexible relies on individuals to cooperate voluntarily
I'm looking for a convincing argument from the Triumvirate side why having the strong procedural aspect is a good idea, or pledges to reduce the process-oriented forced cooperation and increase voluntary cooperation.

Triumvirate is hierarchical with some offices "higher" than others, where Flexible is flat, all offices at the same level

to be honest this is the part i don't like, its confusing too understand as well but its able to be fixed. I dont like the Hirachy because it is confusing who is responsable for each area of the game. Some people will have a position but no power, the Alternative mistake over again.

Voted for flexible...

Triumvirate looks and appears too complicated - I'd rather stick with something simple that we can sort of 'define' as we go. Right now it's 14-6-13...close race.

Its definitly not to complcated, it just allows for a system of checks and balances so the system isn't taken adavatnage of

Ginger_Ale said:
Voted for flexible...

Triumvirate looks and appears too complicated - I'd rather stick with something simple that we can sort of 'define' as we go. Right now it's 14-6-13...close race.

About time you showed up and voted for your proposal! :lol:

It's actually 16-4-13, as greekguy and Nobody have changed their votes to Flexible.

this is just purely my opinion, but if we i think if we incorporated the Flexible goverment theory into the Triumvirate's structure and rules it would bea strong governing body.

The flexible government is more of a polictical theory rather than a government. If we were to in the triumvirate allow the abolishing and creating of positions, organizations and advisors, as the flexible proposes, we have a very strong government that has the pro;s of both systems.

It is uncontestable that the Triumvirate is more complete, and if we aim for our early jan starting point, triumvirate is the better choice. If we combine the practical(tri) with the popular(flex) then we have an widely approved government that can fuction, serve its population and evolve.

I'm not the second-coming of Alpa-wolf, Gingerale or DaveSHack, so if someone picks up on this and can incorporate it, i think it will serve our great nation better than eithir one.

If no one agrees or cannnot comprimise, then i ure people to vote or change there vote to/for the tri

Top Bottom