Guess the Civs in the 2nd expansion - One World!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimeWeaver

Warlord
Hi!

I know that there are several threads about civs missing in CiV and wish-lists for civs, but this thread is meant for qualified guessing (*cough*). So, please, give it your best shot, which civs will be included, and why? Let's limit the civs to 8.

Here's my list.

1. Poland (lots of Civ fans there, just like Sweden, they deserve to be in for once)
2. Hungary (dito)
3. Indonesia (huge civilization, can't overlook that one)
4. Portugal (What can I say? I'm taking them for granted this time)
5. Zulu (they can't break a good old tradition!)
6. Canada (If USA is in, Canada must be too. Just think of WWII)
7. Khmer (I loved them in Civ4, and more Asian civs is a must)
8. Australia (Down Under should be in, lots of fans there, ANZ-troops...)

:p

Sure, why not?

I'll break it down like this:

What I confidently expect:
Portugal
Zulu

What I think might get in:
Hittites/Assyria/Sumer
Sioux/Comanche
Poland

Other possibilites:
Indonesia
Brazil
Kongo or other African group
Mississipian or Anasazi
Vietnam

I don't expect there to be another 9 civs. The total so far is 34. Another 9 makes 43. That's huge. I think 6 civs is more likely.

I would like to see Brazil. Modern South America is completely unrepresented.

But more than new civs, I would like to see additional leaders for the current civs. Finding a second leader may be tough for some of the civs (at least a leader that has good name recognition). But all the major civs in the game can easily have two well known leaders.

Here's my list.

1. Poland (lots of Civ fans there, just like Sweden, they deserve to be in for once)
2. Hungary (dito)
3. Indonesia (huge civilization, can't overlook that one)
4. Portugal (What can I say? I'm taking them for granted this time)
5. Zulu (they can't break a good old tradition!)
6. Canada (If USA is in, Canada must be too. Just think of WWII)
7. Khmer (I loved them in Civ4, and more Asian civs is a must)

I can see a lot of your list being right up there, but i have issue with 2 of the last 3. Canada and Australia i would say are not distinct enough from British culture to legitimise there own civ without resorting to unfounded stereotypes. On top of that, their success and significance is routed in their British origins (just as i'd say brazils is to portugal but a great deal more people seem to want them anyway) and a lot of their economic success today is a result of the land and resources carved out for them by Britain and the immigrants brought there to work them. Culturally they are western, nothing entirely different.

My list of guesses would be:

1) Indonesia
2) Portugal
3) Poland-Lithuania
4) Cahokia (Mississippians) / Sioux - I really hope they feel adventurous and choose Cahokia
5) Brazil
6) An Early Middle Eastern Civ
7) Kongo / Zulu - I hope they are adventurous again here and choose Kongo
8) Wildcard - Timurids? Something Central Asian.

Khmer and Zulu I feel are more likely to be saved for post expansion dlc. And i'd prefer it that way. Pad the expansion with new civs after a few inevitable and popular civs to test the water for them, then launch popular classic civs as separate dlc.

The one thing i don't want to see above all else is 2nd leaders coming in. I want to see more cultures represented. The last thing i want is for potential unique abilities taken up for the sake of having alternative formats for the USA and England. It will just mean one is rated above the other and the lesser one gathers dust even more than the Ottomans.

i'm expecting portugal because of the "one world" title and theme and how they are the last of the western european global empires not in the game yet.
i'm also expecting kongo because kongo and portugal can potentially end up being a pretty awesome scenario.
while it has been in every game, i am not expecting the zulu, because it would be redundant with kongo in there.
another native american civ would be nice. i'm expecting the sioux because a lot of the stereotypes of native americans are based on them.

Sumeria, Portugal, Poland, Mahajphit, Hittites, Ancient Israel, Canada & Australia.

Zulu
Portugal
Argentina (Jose de Martin comes to my mind)
Inuit

.. and that's all I can think off. Maybe Holy Roman Empire too..

Working off of the One World theme and previous releases...

Portugal
Brazil
Kongo

Portugal is pretty much a lock. With the other two, we'd have the potential for a good scenario, add another South American Civ, diversify Africa a bit... good set.

Zulu
Sioux
Hittites/Sumer

All series veterans that add some nice regional diversity. Zulu are pretty much a lock. Though the Middle East is a bit crowded, there's definitely some room for more ancient empires.

Some Other European Civ (Poland? Hungary?)
Wildcard (Gran Colombia? Mali? Aborigines?)

I severely doubt we'd get an expansion with just one European addition. Poland seems like a big possibility, but they could always throw a curveball (something like Sweden). I'd like to see one other big surprise, like the Huns. Aborigine would be my personal choice, as it would fill up Australia, but, no real idea.

I think 8 is a reasonable number, maybe just 7. A few less than G&K.

sumeria
hittites
sioux
timurids
swahili
majahapit
inuit
and something eastern euro/russianish...........ideas on that?

More indigenous peoples from the Americas and Africa overall. The Zande and Apache would be what i would most like to see included.

Lots of fans, yes. Fans that think they should be in the game, no.
City states are sufficient inclusion for me (Although Wellington still isn't a CS, but oh well. We've got the Maori warriors, so it's all good)

Oh, and it's ANZACs, BTW. Not ANZ-troops

Hmmm... i don't think there will be 8, here is my list:

Portugal
Zulu
Vietnam
Sioux (or other NA)
Brazil (or other SA)

If I had to guess based off of everything we've talked about:

1. Portugal. Would fit the One World theme perfectly and is the type of civilization that is well-suited for quite literally every single one of the potential new game mechanics "discussed" (theorized..) in previous threads.

2. Indonesia (Majapahit or variation). Again, fits the theme well. A huge civilization they've never used but many have been waiting/asking for. The largest empire in Southeast Asia's history and if they revamp the diplomatic system like some have suggested then this civ, alongside Portugal, would be the clear frontrunners for headlining that type of game

3. Zulu. As much as we complain about civ changing things up too much they still do a job at giving us what we want in a more general sense. You can't get much more "what you want" than adding an old-time favorite.

What about Romania? I think they would be an interesting and fun civ to play.

i was going to say that it's too similar to the romans, but civ 4 had the holy roman empire and native americans, which are similar in name to two other civs already in the game, so...i guess i don't know. romania could be fun, though. they could even give us vlad tepes as the leaderhead.

Canada and Australia i would say are not distinct enough from British culture to legitimise there own civ without resorting to unfounded stereotypes.
Canada could easily be geared as a diplomatic civ, with a UA bonus or new mechanic that bolsters pacts, treaties, and trade offers. Tie in a unique unit like Peacekeeper (a bit stereotypical and not completely founded in reality) that can only defend, but if attacked incurs a global diplomatic hit on the aggressor, including standing with CS'. Include maple syrup as a new luxury tile that gives +1 food and gold in forests.

From most to least likely and a couple of UA ideas

1. Zulu
2. Portugal (If its capital is conquered, it doesn't STAY conquered and becomes independent again 30 turns later)
3. Sumeria (Start with worker in addition to normal units & +1 food from river tiles)
4. Khmer
5. Cherokee or Sioux
6. A South American tribe
7. Aborigine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom