Hellenic Horseman (Dec 07, 2007)

Friggin' awesome, Sandris!

I just love that sun hat. Thank you very much. :goodjob:

A good in-game name could be "Hippeis" (Greek word for cavalry).

Nicely made. On his death... I think it is ok that his horse out lives him, but I think he should fall off the horse when he dies.

He had to remain on his horse and to come home ... dead ...not on a shield like a Spartan, but on his horse. ;)

BTW, what color should I give to the Macedonian Horseman with the Beotic-style helmet (cape and tunic) ?

Dark orange in combination with black! :cool:

I love this one :goodjob: a real Greek militia horseman! can you make just a militia too? same with spear just without horseman! :D

I would have to suggest white tunic, civ-coloured cape. Or if you plan on making a non-civ-colour unit: red tunic, yellow cape, or white tunic, red cape

Macedonian cavalry types:

Nice looking companion, by the way.

I don`t want to make him look like the Hellenic Horseman (civ-colored cape and white tunic), so, the tunic should not have white color.

Cimbri, those Macedonian Horsemen will be made a little bit later as a Heavy Cavalry units for Macedon. The unit I`m making now is an early version of companion, so he doesn`t wear lamellar or cuirass armor. :)

Here's the color as depicted on the Alexander Sarcophagus. I made the picture when I went to Istanbul last year and this is how they say it was painted.

Very nice unit, Sandris! You're filling in the gaps quickly!

I'm sure I'm not the only one who will be using this soon. Thank you Sandris. :) A heavier, Macedonian version would more or less answer my prayers by the way.

One tip for ancient horsemen - current academic opinion is that they probably used the spears overarm, jabbing down. If you try using a spear underarm without stirrups you're likely to just succeed in pushing yourself off the back of the horse. :lol:

Where did you get the horse model and anims from? They're pretty good. :goodjob:

We have 3 elements needed to be colored:

1.cape
2. tunic
3. saddle

Which of of them should have a civ-color (blue), and what colors should we give to other two elements ?

Some samples:

Must be Yule already! Amazing. You're da man, Sandris! Love the Macedonian horseman too. You just can't go wrong by filling out ancient orders of battle.

I'd civ color the cape since I like the orange tunic.

And I'd say make the saddle civ-colour. I'd take the colours from Ares de Borg's picture for the tunic and cloak, so light and dark blue, then civ-colour the saddle.

Top Bottom