Hippus Flavor Mod

But what if the Hippus don't start near a horse resource? Won't they be sort of screwed? And wouldn't it really, really suck to start near them when they start off with a very powerful unit for the start of the game (both in scouting and attacking capacities)?

Why not just let them keep their horses and only give them one contract instead?

Also, the fact that they have two contracts means that they can support both sides of a war, which some of the flavor text implies they wouldn't do.

Hmmmm... I definitely have to try this. I was thinking something like that is needed myself.
But I really dislike no horse resources from palace.:( It necessary for them to be true Hippus.
Also, is AI able to handle it? Have you tried if it buy it?

NOTE THIS INFO IS OUTDATED!!!

Yea the AI will buy it I set the value just below that of a mana node and they do build the units. The good thing is they dont spam it either I usually only see about 3 Merc units. And if you want the horse bonus back all you have to do is use windows notepad and open the civ4buildinginfofile, find the Hippus palace and change one of them from BONUS_CONTRACT to BONUS_HORSE. It wont take 2 minutes =) to do.

DuckAndCower: I know its not perfect, I would like to give them a duration of about 20 turns and make them really cheep but time and skills will not allow me to do much more than I already have. Doing this was extremely easy and only took about 1 hour. To be honest I had done this really for myself, but figured if someone liked the idea and had more time and modding skills than I they may make something better. (or better yet Kael will add some merc mechanic for the Hippus in the epic game :mischief: )

Very cool idea.

Re: losing mana/horses from the palace: A new building could be added that grants the Contracts rather than using up palace "slots."

Sorry, that last post came off as being entirely critical. I do love the idea, and think it adds a lot to the flavor of the Hippus (really, I think they should have something like this in the main FfH).

Thanks for the info on where to find the changes as well :)

Sorry, that last post came off as being entirely critical. I do love the idea, and think it adds a lot to the flavor of the Hippus (really, I think they should have something like this in the main FfH).

Thanks for the info on where to find the changes as well :)

Thats not a problem I didn't take it that way =).

I tried to add an additional bonus to the palace, but the game would not allow it. If I had done another building it would have taken a whole lot more files to fool with and time to boot. I considered adding a contract to each stable. But then their would be hippus all over the place... Granted Mercs will fight for the highest dollar not always the highest morals, but as you said the leadership does have some honor in their dealings...

Very cool idea.

Re: losing mana/horses from the palace: A new building could be added that grants the Contracts rather than using up palace "slots."

Well considering I couldnt figure out how to get the palace to have an additional bonus, I personally am not above going into world builder and plopping a horse in the cross. If I can figure out a better way then I will. I may add a horse bonus to the hippus stables, but thems a lot of hay eaters there...

Yea the AI will buy it I set the value just below that of a mana node and they do build the units. The good thing is they dont spam it either I usually only see about 3 Merc units. And if you want the horse bonus back all you have to do is use windows notepad and open the civ4buildinginfofile, find the Hippus palace and change one of them from BONUS_CONTRACT to BONUS_HORSE. It wont take 2 minutes =) to do.

OK, then its great! :thumbsup: I will modify it myself.
Only problem is that game I am ending now is Hippus and I don't want to play them again immediately.:)

If you are going attach it to building it would be nice to create more then one different resource (three?) and attach them for according number of buildings to simulate different types of mercenaries. The first one could be for stable and would grant Horseman. The second one for ???? and granting Horse archer and last one for hippdrome and granting knights maybe?

That could work, expect that it could mean that they could have several dozen sources of horses and most civs could depend on them rather than building any horse pastures.

What if the stables instead provided contracts?

Or just make a new, unbuildable building that provides a horse resource and is automatically built only when the first city is founded. Not capturable, probably. Would only require an easy block of XML and a couple lines of Python.

What about allowing Hippus to build horse-based units without actually having the "Horse" resource? It's just taken as a given that they've got some. That'd require a Hippus UU for every horse unit. Which I think is fine... as long as I don't have to do the work. :)

You could also have the Hippus start with an unresearchable "Equestrian" tech doesn't do anything by itself, but also change all mounted units to require either Horse resources or the Equestrian tech to build.

New patch breaks this so sometimes this weekend I will update it. I may change a few things, but I want to use the K.I.S.S. method so thier will not be many though. I hope patch K will fix a Ctd I have been having in both epic game and this one.

You could also have the Hippus start with an unresearchable "Equestrian" tech doesn't do anything by itself, but also change all mounted units to require either Horse resources or the Equestrian tech to build.

The ability to require either a tech or resource does not exist in the xml schema now, and would probably be quite difficult to add.

If you are sill planning on having a "contract" resource that could easily be made into an alternate resource requirement.

You could also give them UUs for every mounted unit, but unless they have some other abilities it seems pointless. It would also take a away the point of the Hippus Stable UB, as logically all those mounted UUs would start with horselord, or else the effects of horselord would again be intrinsic to the UUs. (This way would allow me to make a more reasonable upgrade path to the Hippus Mounted Immortal UU I was planning on adding though)

Well it is going to be a simple *fix*, but it will do the deed. I want at least two contracts for the palace, so I have set the number of bonus types to double. Sooo what you will get is 2 horse, 2 wind mana and 2 contracts. The only unbalanced thing here is the additional trade options, but to "keep it simple *cause I am* stupid" this was the best option. This allows the horse, 2 manas, and the contracts even if both manas are of he wind type... I haven't released it yet, but plan on doing it once it seems Kael is finished with .32

Why not give them back their original starting rsources and give them a cheap new UB that is limited to 2 or 3 at one time and provides contracts.

Top Bottom