How do I get FfH2 to work?

HouseLyrander

Chieftain
I've been trying and trying to get this to work with my Steam copy to no avail. I put the mod in the right folder, but that didn't work. I downloaded Patch O but still nothing. I even downgraded my copy to the retail version and I'm still not getting jack. I've checked to make sure I have the 3.19 build and I do. What am I doing wrong?

For the record, I'm using the Steam version on a Windows 8.1 laptop and the mods are in "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods". I'm also pretty sure I've done everything with Admin Privileges in case that matters.

Do you have any other mods installed? Do they work? If so, compare the path you have to that in which they are installed. I am not familiar with steam or windows 8, but this is some basic debugging I can recommend. If that is all fine, I suggest you check for double foldering. Basically, when you unzip the file you might get a result where instead of having a folder structure looking like this: "Fall From Heaven 2/various mod files" you get "Fall From Heaven 2/Fall From Heaven 2/various mod files". Removing one layer fixes things.

What the guy above said. Assuming the other mods work with bts fine, you could always cut and paste the ffh mod from somewhere else directly in.

Do you have any other mods installed? Do they work? If so, compare the path you have to that in which they are installed. I am not familiar with steam or windows 8, but this is some basic debugging I can recommend. If that is all fine, I suggest you check for double foldering. Basically, when you unzip the file you might get a result where instead of having a folder structure looking like this: "Fall From Heaven 2/various mod files" you get "Fall From Heaven 2/Fall From Heaven 2/various mod files". Removing one layer fixes things.

I have no other mods installed except for the ones that come standard. I've checked for double foldering and that seems to not be the case.

I've got FFH2 to work via Steam by installing Civ4 bts normally and then installing FFH2 and finally copying the FFH2 folder across to the Steam copy of Civ 4 bts.
ie I have 2 copies of bts and FFH2 on my computer.

Do you know where the original location is? Because now when I try to install, it paths to the Steam folders I put it in. Although from what I hear on the Steam forums, that's the only location that's supposed to matter.

Did you actually install the mod? I'm not being flippant or facetious: the file you download isn't the mod, but rather the installer for the mod. You have to run that program to install the mod itself, and it should install in the correct location. Same with patch o, what you download is the installer, which you have to run for the patch to be installed.

You said that the only mods you had installed were those that came with the game, so I figured we should at least consider the possibility.

If you've done that, then I don't know what the problem is, sorry.

Did you actually install the mod? I'm not being flippant or facetious: the file you download isn't the mod, but rather the installer for the mod. You have to run that program to install the mod itself, and it should install in the correct location. Same with patch o, what you download is the installer, which you have to run for the patch to be installed.

You said that the only mods you had installed were those that came with the game, so I figured we should at least consider the possibility.

If you've done that, then I don't know what the problem is, sorry.

Yup, I used the installer and rerouted the location to the Steam folder for BTS's mods

Original installation pathway is c:\Program Files (x86)\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Fall from Heaven 2

I have the DVD which installs Civ4 bts there and then I installed the FFH2, Sound pack, FFH2 patch o, MNAI. Then copied the FFH2 folder over to Steam.

Original installation pathway is c:\Program Files (x86)\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Fall from Heaven 2

I have the DVD which installs Civ4 bts there and then I installed the FFH2, Sound pack, FFH2 patch o, MNAI. Then copied the FFH2 folder over to Steam.

Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnope. I've even tried installing Patch O, and still nothing. Then again, I don't have that DVD and never will.

Post screenshots of your folder system please and the errors you're getting. I suspect this is an easy fix.

Post screenshots of your folder system please and the errors you're getting. I suspect this is an easy fix.

Sorry, but I don't know how to do screenshots and I haven't been getting error messages. BTS just straight up isn't listing FfH2 as an option when I go to Load Mods. Is there a way to load FfH2 directly?

Also, BadPlayer, what's this Media Pack you keep talking about? I'm pretty sure all of the assets are included in the mod and patch o.

EDIT: Nevermind, apparently the place I was downloading from didn't include the Media Pack among its links because... I don't know why. I've gone to the official website and found the media pack now and the game works now. Thanks everyone for your help.

EDIT2: Nope, just a fake out. The mod loads, but it doesn't do anything. I'm still stuck with standard BtS content.

EDIT3: Deleted and reinstalled everything, it works now. *shrugs* Thanks again for the help folks.

On the non steam install I know I don't actually have FFH2 listed in my mods list when running BTS. I have a shortcut with a target of "C:\Program Files (x86)\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Civ4BeyondSword.exe" mod=\Fall from Heaven 2

and a start in of "C:\Program Files (x86)\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods"

I believe this shortcut got created when you install FFH2 and is always how I've started the mod.

Top Bottom