I just granted independence to a country...

Alex2604

Chieftain
So, I was playing with the Ottomans on a huge map with two continents and 17 AIs and on the second continent Barbarians didn't give a chance for any civilization but Spain to exist, so when I reached the ability to move military units through the ocean I conquered all Barbarian cities. 42 to be exact.
And at one point I got asked if I want to grant independence to all my cities on the other continent, as they consume too much money for maintenance.
Naturally I did as I have never been asked that question before. The curiosity was overwhelming. And all of the sudden Egypt happened.
And I got the message that I have placed Ramesses II in charge of my overseas colonies of Egypt.
Basically I allowed Egypt to be founded in 1895, they are my vassals and have the 5th highest score.
I am playing this game for 10 years now. This is an awesome surprise.

You didn't know about this? If you go to your domestic adviser tab (I believe that is what it is called) you can create a 'colony' when you have two or more cities on another continent (It is a button in the bottom left corner). Just be warned they can then break away from you.

Sure, if you badly mistreat them by warring against their friends, nuking their friends, having a different state religion, deliberately exposing your spies, refusing their requests for help, negotiating trade embargoes against them, and finally demanding tribute from them, which forces them to refuse and declare war on you. It's damn hard to lose a colony.

If you treat a colony nicely it will basically never leave but if you want resources and demand tribute than you may lose the colony. If you need the resources but can't pay the maintenance this can be a very real possibility.

It was shocking to me when Mansa refused my tribute request one time. I felt great regret as I nuked his cities in retaliation.

It was shocking to me when Mansa refused my tribute request one time. I felt great regret as I nuked his cities in retaliation.
If only the United Kingdom had nukes in 1775...

Top Bottom