If you miss a huge wonder by 1 turn do you reload, quit, or accept/continue?

Rake in the failgold, deficit-research your way to rifles, and capture the stupid wonder.

Depends on the wonder, what the game situation is, and how critical do I actually need the wonder versus the offset of fail gold.

I run out and buy a new monitor

I'd be lying if I said I never quit a civ game. I've rage quit civ for lesser reason than you stated. However, I've gotten to a point where I say to myself when I start a game " I am going to play through this entire game no matter what" (to a certain point mind you, if I am getting my ass handed to me and defeat is all but inevitable I will raise the white flag). Ive gotten to points like you have, missing a wonder by a turn etc. raged about it exited the game without saving. But, then came back and loaded the auto-save game with the crappy results and all and continued. Ive come back from some mighty deficits and have to say those wins are the most satisfying.

Like the post before me said, just capture the wonder later. Or, you can quit and sink into the bitter quagmire of shame, having been beat by the AI. :lol:

Pyramids/Great Lighthouse: I quit (unless it's a forum game) because I usually had to sacrifice too much too early in order to have a shot. All other wonders I take the failgold, adapt plans and play on, possibly after some heavy cursing.

I might also quit if I actually failed to fail something like Chichen Itza or Sankore :p

How do you fail to fail? Just take it out of the queue and wait.

I will usually reload and adjust production if I lose the wonder by one turn. More than that and I just let the AI have it and take the failgold. I rarely if ever go for early wonders.

No. I suppose if I missed all the Wonders I was going for (GLib, GLighthouse, Oracle, Taj, Pyramids) I would probably be losing the game and eventually quit. If I lose Lighthouse or Pyramids, I’ll go capture them if someone nearby has them. There’s not much point in capturing the others. But if I lose 1 or 2 and can’t capture them easily… I’ll shrug it off. I can have a great, fun game with just Lighthouse and none of the others. Or just Pyramids and GLib.

Same principle applies to missing Liberalism or missing all the GP techs (Economics, Physics, Communism, Fascism). Missing one or 2 is fine; missing all of them would be the canary in the coalmine.

What really annoys me is when I chop a whole bunch of forests into a big wonder (Pyramids, usually) and then miss it. Failgold is nice, but if I wasn’t going to get the wonder I’d sooner have saved the forests for something else. Quite often I’ll chop everything to one turn of completion and then chop 6 tiles at once to ensure I don’t waste them.

I carry on if it was a bad decision or simply a gamble. OTOH if something was not my plan but actually a misclick or I forgot to execute the plan I have prepared, I reload. Sometimes I reload every 5 minutes if I am very tired and forget to carry my own plans, turn on the research slider in binary, stuff like that. Stuff I don't reload is combat. Also, running through the same thing all over again is painful and it is really a good passive protective mechanism. :D

But, if the goal is learning, reload everything to get the feel for things.

I start new game if I lose GLH before 2200 BC (happens 1 of 10 times, have lost also at 2400 BC) and my start had no chance to finish it faster. Thats only wonder I (must) need in my games. Have won already 6 (3 Dom, 1 Conq, 1 AP-diplo and 1 UN-diplo) no-tech trading Huge/Mara/17 AI Deity games with it still working at the finish turn :D Anything else - fail gold. Even if its Pyramids 3 turns from finish. Great but no game-changing :D

It is interesting, because my criterion for whether I reload when I lose a race is if I could have won it by changing something. If I could have gotten to Liberalism first by trading for some gold and running the slider at 100% for an extra turn, I'll reload and do that. If I could have gotten a Wonder by starving the city and only working hammers for one turn, I'll reload and do that.
I don't do it if the changes would have to be made for more than 1 or 2 turns though. Or if they beat me to a wonder or tech by like ten turns, then I'm like "well they beat me to it, nothing I could've done" and play on.

I will usually reload and adjust production if I lose the wonder by one turn.
I did this once in a civ 5 game with no result, because the AI finished that wonder even faster. :lol:
I almost never miss a civ 4 wonder by one turn. I either don't build them or abuse the slavery civic to get enough hammers.

Tatran said:
I almost never miss a civ 4 wonder by one turn.

I can't say it happens all that often, but if you miss by a low enough number of turns it is usually possible to adjust things so you can come out on top. Unless you were already going flat-out - starving your city for max hammers, cracked the whip on the same turn it became available, whatever.

Forget to take it out of the queue with one turn remaining. :blush: (If I "fail to fail," I'll reload and remember.)

You want max hammers in wonder but not build it. Next turn you have just flushed your hammers down the toilet. I'd reload that too.

I don't reload. It's part of the game. You either recover or lose. It's a challenge and part of the fun.

Is it frustrating? Oh yes! I have broken keyboard to prove it. :lol:

I run out and buy a new monitor
hahaha :lol: that's almost me.
When I rage I open that worldbuilder and raze that city which got the wonder :D
and probably keep playing anyway.

I started to believe that this is not just karma, the AI knows our build turns... and intentionaly piss us off. As it almost always happen to me at least 1 wonder per game:sad:

Because I play on noble mostly, I just keep going no matter what, I probably focused on military anyway.

ha..i've had a casual game where something did not go my way..badly..likely an untimely dow I was not prepared for, and I went into WB and deleted that AI's entire empire. (quit the game, ofc, but felt good to see his/her entire army disappear as well as the cities) I'm sure the leader was very pissed by my actions. Oh..the little joys we get from this game

Top Bottom