Is Christianity beefed up?

Swissempire

Poet Jester
In my games, i find that as soon as one nation's city gets Christianity, it converts. In the game i'm currently playing, Jewish Mali, in which EVERY city was Jewish, converted to Christianity when a sinlge city gained christianity. In other games, countries have converted even when their capital and the rest of their cities are Muslim/Jewish.

So is there some beef up to Christianity in this version?

I think, Swissempire, it may be the case that those civs simply see that so many top dogs have Christianity that they adopt it as soon as possible. In my last full game (Egypt->England) Christianity dominated and most civs had it. The spread wasn't unrealistic, and there were always a few non-Christians, including eventually the gargantuan Persia.

Yeah all of my games have had christianity as the top religion, but not overwhelming the whole world. This is just because all the tight-packed european civs adopt it. I'm not sure I've had anyone else adopt it, except maybe the aztecs and incas as the europeans are usually the first to reach them. The rest of the world is nicely mixed.

In my game Inca was Muslim ;)
India - Hindu
Mongolia - Buddhist
Japan - Taoist
Russia, England - Christian
Rest - Muslim

It's somewhat realistic that each game seems to get a leading religion and that religion is adopted by most of the world, but perhaps the AI should be reprogrammed a little to especially like their neighbors' religion (only the majority of neighbors), since in reality religions are spread in big geographical blocs and not global swarms...

Something to keep in mind --

The Crusades and overall tension between Muslims and Christians meant that the path between West and East was basically closed until the last 500-600 years. This created a powerful buffer -- with Islam in the middle, Christianity in the West, and the Dharmic religions in the East.

If we really get that religious tension going, we CAN recreate the buffer, and that will lead to the big geographical blocs rather than total global hegemony.

In my current game, I'm Japan. China founded Confucianism, and I quickly converted ... and then captured the holy city. :) Later in the game, I began to develop a sizeable lead over every other nation in the world, and I realized that I would unwittingly force-convert everyone to Confucianism. Well, I'm in an unusually warmongering mood, so I had none of that. I went to Free Religion and conquered the Chinese. Within a few turns, the growing Confucian monolith started to break up, and now no religion has more than 2 member states.

dh_epic said:
Something to keep in mind --

The Crusades and overall tension between Muslims and Christians meant that the path between West and East was basically closed until the last 500-600 years. This created a powerful buffer -- with Islam in the middle, Christianity in the West, and the Dharmic religions in the East.

If we really get that religious tension going, we CAN recreate the buffer, and that will lead to the big geographical blocs rather than total global hegemony.

that's interesting, but how would you do that?

It already happens in my games. As Greece, I captured and held Urshalim from the Arabs (actually Egypt did, I asked for it and they gave it to me! :D), becoming a powerful Jewish state. Rome and Egypt were already Jewish, and Mali switched from Christianity to Judaism (after Europe repeatedly insulted them, I assume). My good buddy Asoka remained the only Hindu nation, Europe became Christian (with France as the founder), and Asia become Confucianist. It ended up with several religious blocs, Christian, Jewish, and Confucianist. History tends to repeat itself, but with minor variations. Sometimes the New World converts to one or the other religions, sometimes the "buffer" states switch religions, etc.

SilverKnight

In most of my games I also have these religious blocs. Europe is almost every game complete Christian, Persia and Egypt are Jewish, Arabia Islamic, India has Hinduism and China, Japan Confucianism.

I still haven't had a game where Mali adopts Islam.

I played as Japan and also conquered the confucian holy city. I then spread it to Mali, Incans, and Mongolia. Lots of fun, although Montezuma would never borders no matter how much tech I gave him, so I couldn't spread it to him. I also had a really long war with Saladin since I declared on him just to get through his territory. He eventually showed up on my western borders (I had wiped out China) with a bunch of camel archers. After I killed them all but realized I couldn't do anything much to him I took peace.

It seems to me a super-simple and realistic means is to make both Christian and Muslim blocs to desire to control the city that spawned Judaism. Instant conflict.

All the same, if the Middle East went Buddhist, while Europe was Christian, a holy war could be as likely, but perhaps some religions should be flagged as giving a teritorial personality, some a missionary personality, and others isolationist ( to the AI at least).

Perhaps Religions should have HVs also, that are enabled for civs that convert to them? (To give extra motivation for historical, and reasonably reproducible behaviors).

that's interesting, but how would you do that?

I like those ideas, GoodGame...
Maybe there should be two generic Religious Historical Victory conditions, both extremely hard, which would count towards UHV. You'd still get the Arch at 2 goals and the victory at 3, you'd just have a religious way to do (and the national ones would be easier. And you'd have to get at least one to win.)
The two goals I'm thinking would be:
*Control SR's holy city when SR's spread hits 66%
*15 other civs share your SR, or all civs do (whichever is less)
And I also like the idea of religion setting some AI personality, but we have to do that carefully and politically correctly...

I thought Rhye actually did beed up Christianity in the earlier builds when everyone was complaining about Hindu Europe. But in my games, Europe is usually split between Judaism and Christianity, with Islam occasionally.

Top Bottom